Windows 10: What is the status of DLNA?

Discus and support What is the status of DLNA? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; In Windows 10 the Libraries are hidden by default and the DLNA Server is off by default ("Turn On Media Streaming"). It is as if Microsoft is moving... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TV2, Jan 8, 2018.

1. TV2
    TV2 Win User

What is the status of DLNA?

In Windows 10 the Libraries are hidden by default and the DLNA Server is off by default ("Turn On Media Streaming").
    It is as if Microsoft is moving away from DLNA.

Is this because of fears associated with copyright and Digital Rights Management issues?

Or is DLNA a dying technology and is being replaced by something new?
    If something new, what is it?

:)

2. anticz009 Win User

What is the status of N73 Ngage Compatibility?

Sorry i meant n-gage support.

anticz009, Jan 8, 2018
  3. nessalpha Win User
    What is the status of N73 Ngage Compatibility?

I've seen alot of videos in youtube the nokia n73 w/ N-Gage application. I think there are some ways to install N-gage applications to N73.

nessalpha, Jan 8, 2018
  4. What is the status of DLNA?

It's "DLNA."

Hasn't the server always been disabled by default? I use a different DLNA server and don't recall ever needing to disable the Windows one. It would be a pretty horrible design to expose your libraries over LAN by default.

PolarNettles, Jan 8, 2018
  5. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Noted. Changed.

6. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    So is DLNA still the defacto standard for sharing digital media among multimedia devices?
    Are there any alternative systems?

7. Yes, we're pretty much stuck with DLNA. The best alternative is AirPlay *Smile

PolarNettles, Jan 9, 2018
  8. Helmut Win User

DLNA is not a technology or system as such, it's a set of standards to try and ensure various bits of hardware work together.
    DLNA Certification

Media Servers off by default is how most would like it, I suspect.

Helmut, Jan 9, 2018
  9. TV2
    TV2 Win User
    Thanks all.
    I'm looking into upgrading parts of my entertainment system and looking at various options. I haven't been paying attention for a while.

At first glance it seems that the public is moving more toward a subscription / pay-to-view model when it comes to home media players like the Roku, which doesn't even do local content streaming unless you add an app to do so.

Thema:

1. What is the status of DLNA? - Similar Threads - status DLNA

2. Windows 10 activation status after going back from 11 after 10 day window

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 activation status after going back from 11 after 10 day window: i bought my laptop when i did, and have stayed on 10, because of the mandatory Secure Boot for Windows 11 since dual boot is important for my needs. my question is, if i go beyond the built-in option's time limit for going back to Windows 11 and reinstall 10 using the...
  3. Windows 10 activation status after going back from 11 after 10 day window

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 activation status after going back from 11 after 10 day window: i bought my laptop when i did, and have stayed on 10, because of the mandatory Secure Boot for Windows 11 since dual boot is important for my needs. my question is, if i go beyond the built-in option's time limit for going back to Windows 11 and reinstall 10 using the...
  4. What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?: What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager? For example there is a green leaf icon that means economy mode. I believe there are at least 3 other icons that can show in task manager status but i don't see an explanation for them. Shouldn't there be a...
  5. What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?

What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager?: What icons and their meaning are in the status column of Task Manager? For example there is a green leaf icon that means economy mode. I believe there are at least 3 other icons that can show in task manager status but i don't see an explanation for them. Shouldn't there be a...
  6. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  7. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11: Hi, After updating to Windows 11 during a recent Windows update, I've been using my laptop for several months without any issues. However, I recently started receiving a message indicating that the Windows license will expire soon. Oddly enough, when I check the settings, it...
  8. Windows Activation Status After Upgrade to Windows 11

9. How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in...: How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in the code of a UWP application https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-and-set-the-status-of-enable-or-disable/c841f242-d7cc-4ba6-bce4-23b5830d4ed1
  10. How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in...

How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in...: How to get and set the status of Enable or Disable Cellular Data Roaming in Windows 11, in the code of a UWP application https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-get-and-set-the-status-of-enable-or-disable/c841f242-d7cc-4ba6-bce4-23b5830d4ed1