Windows 10: What is this "Base Filtering Engine" service ?

Discus and support What is this "Base Filtering Engine" service ? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; It is currently running on my PC What does it do ? Do I need it ? Can/Should I disable it ? Just wondering ..... 56343 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Raiz, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Raiz Win User

What is this "Base Filtering Engine" service ?

It is currently running on my PC
    What does it do ? Do I need it ? Can/Should I disable it ?
    Just wondering .....

:)

2. Windows Firewall service not starting after Creator's Update

Checked the system event log? It might tell you why the firewall service is failing to start automatically. "Base Filtering Engine" is one of the dependencies.. it should be set to "Automatic" start.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Jul 14, 2016
  3. Terex83 Win User
    Windows 10 BFE (Base Filtering Engine) service does not run on startup

I'm not using third-party software (anti-virus and firewall). Third-party apps wouldn't work without the base filtering engine anyway.

Mind you, my other laptops and PCs don't have this problem. It's really odd.

Reverting back to the Anniversary Edition of Win10, eliminates the problem. But i figured the time has come to move on... Lets see what the Fall Creators edition will bring...

Terex83, Jul 14, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Hello Raiz, *Smile

The Base Filtering Engine (BFE) is a service that manages firewall and Internet Protocol security (IPsec) policies and implements user mode filtering. Stopping or disabling the BFE service will significantly reduce the security of the system. It will also result in unpredictable behavior in IPsec management and firewall applications.

You would want to keep it enabled, running, and set to Automatic.

Brink, Jul 14, 2016
  5. Raiz Win User
    Thanks for the reply !
    I shall not touch it then *chuckle

Raiz, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. What is this "Base Filtering Engine" service ? - Similar Threads - Base Filtering Engine

2. Base Filtering Engine service is present in the system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Base Filtering Engine service is present in the system: Base Filtering Engine service is present in the systemError “Could not enable some protection components” Latest update: July 12, 2023 ID: 13409 Issue Your Kaspersky application shows the error message “Could not enable some protection components”.Kaspersky removed two...
  3. Base Filtering Engine service is present in the system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Base Filtering Engine service is present in the system: Base Filtering Engine service is present in the systemError “Could not enable some protection components” Latest update: July 12, 2023 ID: 13409 Issue Your Kaspersky application shows the error message “Could not enable some protection components”.Kaspersky removed two...
  4. Product Service Dependency Base Filtering Engine failed. Error message.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Product Service Dependency Base Filtering Engine failed. Error message.: How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-service-dependency-base-filtering-engine/eaf762ce-476c-4790-a22e-60eee4119659
  5. Product Service Dependency Base Filtering Engine failed. Error message.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Product Service Dependency Base Filtering Engine failed. Error message.: How do I fix it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/product-service-dependency-base-filtering-engine/eaf762ce-476c-4790-a22e-60eee4119659
  6. Product Service Dependency Base Filtering Engine failed. Error message.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Base Filter Engine takes 4 hours to start

Base Filter Engine takes 4 hours to start: A new behavior, starting sometime in early July: When I boot Windows 10 I don't have cursor control. The cursor seems to get to run only every several seconds, so it's useless. Also, I have no firewall; neither Defender nor my free Avast's firewall will start. The problem...
  8. Some problems with Base Filtering Engine and Firewall

Some problems with Base Filtering Engine and Firewall: Hi, I have some problems in Windows 10, so ask you how to fix them. When we run our program, "LocalServiceNoNetworkFirewall" service starts to work, so CPU usage spikes and packet loss occurs. However, other program similar to ours works reliably. I searched for a...
  9. Base Filtering Engine service options are greyed out (Windows 10)

in Windows 10 Customization
    Base Filtering Engine service options are greyed out (Windows 10): Hello, For a software I use they recommend that i disable the Base Filtering Engine service from running. However this option is unavailable i cannot stop or disable this service. Even if i try to disable this service from starting though the registry it somehow re-enables...
  10. Base Filtering Engine Disabled

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Base Filtering Engine Disabled: I thought all my Windows 10 problems were resolved when I finally figured out that Avanquest Powerdesk was preventing explorer from loading the desktop but it seems that was just the beginning of my Win 10 problems. Once I finally got the desktop to load I then discovered...