Windows 10: What is this network password prompt asking for ?

Discus and support What is this network password prompt asking for ? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; One of scores and scores of people having home network connection issues...when prompted for the password, etc, when trying to access a network share... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by trinaz, Dec 27, 2015.

1. trinaz Win User

What is this network password prompt asking for ?

One of scores and scores of people having home network connection issues...when prompted for the password, etc, when trying to access a network share (another desktop in the house)...This may sound stupid...but what is the attached jpg network password asking for ?

Right now only a 2 PC network (not Homegroup) Sharing is enabled and in Private mode all network settings have been checked and double checked

Is it the password for the current system...ie this PC's password when trying to connect to Network share ?
    Is it the particular user that's logged on password ?
    Is it the password for the network share I'm trying to reach ?
    Is it separate or different from the Windows On-line account password ?

Same for user...is it the current users name...is it the current PC's name....or is it the name the MS account is using

What is this network password prompt asking for ? [​IMG]

Thanks....TiminAz

:)

trinaz, Dec 27, 2015

2. What is the password that IE keeps asking for when I try to go to a certain webpage?

The webpage is asking for a password, not Internet Explorer.

If you have, at some time, setup an account there but forgot the password, click the "Forgot password" link that's probably on the page.

If you haven't setup an account for the website, set one up.

Don

Don Varnau, Dec 27, 2015
  3. What is the password that IE keeps asking for when I try to go to a certain webpage?

Hi Raymond,

We appreciate all the information you've provided. We would like to isolate this concern for you. Kindly answer these questions:

• What specific website are you trying to visit?
    • Have you tried using a different browser and access the said website?
    A screenshot of the issue will also help us determine what could be the cause of the issue.

Regards.

PreciousLeb, Dec 27, 2015
  4. linw Win User

The user name is the current user name of the comp you want to access. BUT, you must prefix it with the comp name.
    e.g. MARYANNES-WIN10\username

Naturally, the password is for the 'username' account.

These credentials should be stored in ctrl-panel\Credential Manager\Windows Credentials.

Hope this helps.

5. cato Win User
    I've been dealing with this for a couple of days since I can't get Homegroup to work on Windows 10. You actually don't have to preface it with the computer name as that is done in the heading. Enter exactly Maryann's username (maryann@xxxxx.com) and the password she uses to log into windows.

At least that finally works for mine and my wife's computer.

6. linw Win User
    Really not sure how you have a username that looks like an email account. Perhaps we are comparing apples with oranges?

In the OPs situation the username does have to be prefixed with the computer name, MARYANNES-WIN10, because, as you can see, the Domain is set to TIMS-WIN10 not MARYANNES.

7. Kari Win User
    @linw, of course a username can and always will be an email address if the user signs in to Windows with a Microsoft account.

@cato, that only applies if the user account used to sign in is a Microsoft account. If the user account is a local account you need to give the full username as ComputerName\UserProfileName.

Remember that in Windows the username and the user profile name are two different things. Using a Microsoft account, your username is your MS account email address but your user profile name is the name of your user profile. When creating a new MS account in Windows 10 the system names the user profiles using a five letter abbreviation, for instance a user L: larry.laffer@SomeEmailProvider.com would get a user profile folder in C:\Users named as LarLa. In this case this user could sign remotely in to another computer with either a username larry.laffer@SomeEmailProvider.com, or with the full username RemoteComputerName\LarLa.

With local accounts if the user has not changed his / her username, the username and user profile name are the same. However, if for instance the user L_Laffer later changes his username to Larry, now the username and user profile name would be different; his username as shown in Welcome / Login Screen and Start would be Larry, but his user profile name would still be L_Laffer because changing the username does not change the user profile name. In this case he would need to sign remotely in as RemoteComputerName\L_Laffer​, also after he changed his username to Larry.

Notice that instead of the RemoteComputerName\UserProfileName it is always possible to sign remotely in to another computer, be it a remote connection or accessing a shared drive, by replacing the remote computer name with Windows (Windows\UserProfileName). A Microsoft account user larry.laffer@SomeEmailProvider.com can sign in to resources on remote computer with either his email address, RemoteComputerName\LarLa or Windows\LarLa, and a local account user L_Laffer can sign in to remote resource with RemoteComputerName\L_Laffer or Windows\L_Laffer. This can sometimes be practical when you need to sign in to a remote computer but you do not remember the exact computer name; just replace it with Windows and you are all set.

8. cato Win User

Thanks, Kari. I think. I've spent too much time with Windows 3.1, 95, 98, XP and Windows 7. The short time I had Windows 8 I only signed in locally, but I never had the problems trying to set up a network as with WIndows 10. Only way I could get it to work was Managing Windows Credentials on both computers and setting logins, passwords, etc.

Still haven't figured out Homegroup and that's all I ever used between the two computers for the last several years. Actually, neither one are necessary the way our computers are used. Just that it's there and I had to tinker. Eventually I'll even get Homegroup figured out...maybe.

9. cato Win User
    My mistake. I didn't see the Domain name. *Sad

10. linw Win User
    Whew, Kari. Must re-read that again more slowly.

Cato, we have both learnt something. That's what forums are about, eh.

11. cato Win User
    Exactly what they are for. I'm still trying to digest Kari's response. *Smile I followed him around on Sevenforums so I know he knows what he is talking about.

12. Ztruker Win User
    You could turn off Password protected sharing:

Right click on Network and select Properties.
    Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
    Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
    Select Turn off password protected sharing.
    Click the Save changes button.

Ztruker, Dec 29, 2015
  13. linw Win User

With password sharing off I still get prompts for credentials. Interesting to know what is different in our setups but that we will never find out!

14. Ztruker Win User
    Did you reboot after making changes?

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Is it off on both computers?

Ztruker, Jan 2, 2016
Thema:

1. What is this network password prompt asking for ? - Similar Threads - network password prompt

2. asking for a pin i’ve gone on to command prompt and it’s asking for a password and it’s...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    asking for a pin i’ve gone on to command prompt and it’s asking for a password and it’s...: someone please helpi tried to log in to my account this morning and it said user profile service fails to sign in and user cannot be loaded then it’s asking me for a pin and the same thing comes up i’ve tried to go on command prompt to do it that’s what but that’s asking me...
  3. asking for a pin i’ve gone on to command prompt and it’s asking for a password and it’s...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    asking for a pin i’ve gone on to command prompt and it’s asking for a password and it’s...: someone please helpi tried to log in to my account this morning and it said user profile service fails to sign in and user cannot be loaded then it’s asking me for a pin and the same thing comes up i’ve tried to go on command prompt to do it that’s what but that’s asking me...
  4. asking for a pin i’ve gone on to command prompt and it’s asking for a password and it’s...

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use command prompt as it asking for password: I have an issue. My laptop crashed and is unable to go through diagnostic or try try fix the issues. I go to advanced settings and I Can't use command prompt as it asking for password of which I forgot....
  6. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

Can't use command prompt as it asking for password: I have an issue. My laptop crashed and is unable to go through diagnostic or try try fix the issues. I go to advanced settings and I Can't use command prompt as it asking for password of which I forgot....
  7. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can't use command prompt as it asking for password: One day after I installed windows 10, my pc crashed and it says SYSTEM RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART. STOP CODE : PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. WHAT FAILED : Tpkd.sys.It seems like I've found the fix on YouTube but it needs command prompt. When I go to Advanced...
  9. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

Can't use command prompt as it asking for password: One day after I installed windows 10, my pc crashed and it says SYSTEM RAN INTO A PROBLEM AND NEEDS TO RESTART. STOP CODE : PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA. WHAT FAILED : Tpkd.sys.It seems like I've found the fix on YouTube but it needs command prompt. When I go to Advanced...
  10. Can't use command prompt as it asking for password

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging