Windows 10: What is this Windows Explorer item, and is it possible to hide it?

Discus and support What is this Windows Explorer item, and is it possible to hide it? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; After much customizing, I have almost got Windows Explorer to what I am used to using. Anyway, does anyone know what the arrows are pointing to in this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Aradiel, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Aradiel Win User

What is this Windows Explorer item, and is it possible to hide it?

After much customizing, I have almost got Windows Explorer to what I am used to using. Anyway, does anyone know what the arrows are pointing to in this picture are called, and how I would go about hiding them? Also, is it possible to hide the Libraries? Using the Navigation Pane properties to check or uncheck Libraries has no effect.

What is this Windows Explorer item, and is it possible to hide it? [​IMG]

:)

Aradiel, Jan 23, 2016
  2. John Vil Win User

what is this Updn.exe and is it linked to the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED blue screen crash?

Hello Zameer,

The blue screen error or stop error message you are seeing occurs when a problem causes your computer to shut down or restart unexpectedly. These blue screen messages will let you know if your system ran into a problem.
    UPDN.EXE may be the reason why your computer goes into the blue screen error. To better assist you and provide you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps, kindly answer the questions below:

• Were there any significant hardware/software changes done on your computer prior to this happening?
    • Have you installed all the latest cumulative updates for Windows 10?
    • Aside from the ones you mentioned above, what other troubleshooting steps have you tried?

In the meantime, you may also refer to this article to troubleshoot this issue:
    Troubleshoot blue screen errors.

We're looking forward for your response.

John Vil, Jan 23, 2016
  3. what is this Updn.exe and is it linked to the SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED blue screen crash?

i have tried all solutions for removing this file, but it keeps replicating itslef every time i modify it, i cant remove it manually on the task manager and it's on my system since the 1709 update.

I am also getting the blue screen system crash which says SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, i have tried many support staff, (all philipinos and bengalis) but none of them had a final solution, all were using the general troubleshooting steps like dism,
    defraggler and sfc scannow but it didnt help, some even made me do an in-place system upgrade both via the ISO file and the media creation disk, and one made me do the clean restart, this last guy went a bit further and downloaded the hitmanpro application
    to detect and uninstall the updn.exe file but instead it deleted lots of registry files, he wasn't there after the restart.

Back to my question, how do i remove updn.exe which cannot be identified by windows defender or windows malicious software removal tool, and is it linked to the blue screen system crash

* Moved from Virus & Malware

[Moved from: Virus and Malware / Other / Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats / Windows 10]

Zameer Azam, Jan 23, 2016
  4. Aradiel Win User

I managed to work it out, it's called the Status Bar, for anyone else interested, and found that I could disable it in the View Folders options.

I'd still like to be able to hide the Libraries folder above Network and below the D: drive if anyone knows how to do that.

Aradiel, Jan 23, 2016
  5. lx07 Win User
    In file explorer click "View" tab > "Navigation Pane" > Un-tick "Show libraries" works for me.

6. Aradiel Win User
    That doesn't seem to change anything at all. Possibly because I have view all folders enabled. I do want to keep the Control Panel, I like using the link from there. I just never use Libraries, so it's wasting screen real estate. I did a side by side screen cap here:

Aradiel, Jan 23, 2016
  7. lx07 Win User
  8. Aradiel Win User

Excellent, it worked. In this thread: Libraries - Add or Remove from Navigation Pane in Windows 8 Explorer which I did see, but was reluctant to use because it's from Windows 8, you change the registry and it hides Libraries completely.

The one you linked only changes it to the default. For anyone else interested, you need to claim ownership of the registry entry and then it's all described under:

OPTION FOUR

Add or Remove "Libraries" from All Users Navigation Pane in Registry

Aradiel, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What is this Windows Explorer item, and is it possible to hide it? - Similar Threads - Explorer item possible

2. Windows Explorer hides a directory

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Explorer hides a directory: Windows 11, about 3 weeks since install, more trouble every day.Open Windows Explorer and select drive E. It shows the top level, but, directory Bryan is missing.Making this short, opened a command line, change to that drive, do DIR. The directory is present.Copy it to...
  3. Windows Explorer hides a directory

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Explorer hides a directory: Windows 11, about 3 weeks since install, more trouble every day.Open Windows Explorer and select drive E. It shows the top level, but, directory Bryan is missing.Making this short, opened a command line, change to that drive, do DIR. The directory is present.Copy it to...
  4. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  5. File Explorer hiding items under ribbon

File Explorer hiding items under ribbon: Before minimizing RibbonAfter minimizing RibbonWhen I maximize the ribbon the first-row items don't slide down. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/file-explorer-hiding-items-under-ribbon/e409d547-7597-474d-95b8-f9484a85948c
  6. Is it possible to hide these default folders in non-explorer windows?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Is it possible to hide these default folders in non-explorer windows?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/wozmatic [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/mi7psk/is_it_possible_to_hide_these_default_folders_in/
  7. Hide Quick Access Items

in Windows 10 Support
    Hide Quick Access Items: Hi, Using this: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer] "HubMode"=dword:00000001 I hide Quick Access from Navigation Pane Is that possible to hide single items from inside Quick Access without hiding the whole thing via registry only? [img]...
  8. 3D Builder - How to hide an item

3D Builder - How to hide an item: I have a project open with multiple items. Previous versions of 3D Builder allowed you to show or hide items, just like any other STL editing software. With the latest version of 3D Builder, I can't find how to do this. Help would be greatly appreciated....
  9. How do I Hide or Remove Items in File Explorer?

in Windows 10 Support
    How do I Hide or Remove Items in File Explorer?: In File Explorer on the far right corner of the screen you will find a white question mark in a small blue circle. What that icon does it launches a BING browser tab that is full on Windows 10 help links. In the most recent past I thought that Bing had installed a Bing Virus...
  10. Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows: How to: Hide Specified Control Panel Items in Windows [img] Information You can use Control Panel to change settings for Windows. These settings control nearly everything about how Windows looks and works, and you can use them to set up Windows so that it's just right for...