Windows 10: What is WinRE?

Discus and support What is WinRE? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have Windows 10 running on a 250Gb hard drive. But the latest update hasn't got space to install. I have removed all of the potentially wasteful... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GavtheNav, Nov 28, 2016.

1. GavtheNav Win User

What is WinRE?

I have Windows 10 running on a 250Gb hard drive. But the latest update hasn't got space to install.
    I have removed all of the potentially wasteful Apps, but with no success.
    When I look in Defrag and Optimise, there are 2 drives; C:\ and WinRE. WinRE is labelled as "never run" and refuses to defrag.
    I assume it is a copy of a Windows install, but would be grateful if anyone knows better.
    What is it, and how do I get rid of it?

:)

GavtheNav, Nov 28, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Nov 28, 2016
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Nov 28, 2016
  4. mykou Win User

What is WinRE?

It means Windows "recovery Environment" so OS uses it to help restore settings or repair

mykou, Nov 28, 2016
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Hello GavtheNav, and welcome to Ten Forums. *Smile

WinRE is for booting to Windows Recovery Environment (aka: Advanced Startup). It's a system partition that doesn't needed to be defragged since Windows doesn't write to it.

Brink, Nov 28, 2016
  6. WinRe is a recovery partition and facilitates Windows system error recovery. I would not advise deleting it as that will hamper future recovery efforts.

An explanation of the WinRe is provided in the link below:

Windows Preinstallation Environment - Wikipedia

TexasBandit, Nov 28, 2016
  7. GavtheNav Win User
    Thanks for your prompt replies guys. It seems that the problem is not where I thought it was!

GavtheNav, Dec 4, 2016
  8. spunk Win User

What is WinRE?

You can move your User files (ie) Music, Pictures, Documents etc to another drive like an External USB.
    Or You can also get a much larger drive and clone our existing drive to it and then swap it.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What is WinRE?

1. What is WinRE? - Similar Threads - WinRE

2. Installing Windows 11 failed. Laptop stuck in WinRE.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing Windows 11 failed. Laptop stuck in WinRE.: We wanted to update our Xiaomi laptop running win10. But there was no option in the update sector. We found an win11 install app. I think it was officiall. We let it run and on halfway we connected the charger. But then it started up in Winre mode and won't boot up normally!...
  3. Installing Windows 11 failed. Laptop stuck in WinRE.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Installing Windows 11 failed. Laptop stuck in WinRE.: We wanted to update our Xiaomi laptop running win10. But there was no option in the update sector. We found an win11 install app. I think it was officiall. We let it run and on halfway we connected the charger. But then it started up in Winre mode and won't boot up normally!...
  4. WinRE Reset Image Path

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WinRE Reset Image Path: I followed the steps for update KB5034441 in the site as well as watched a video regarding the windows update and managed to install it. But had to do extra steps such as resetting the image path. When I checked the location using command prompt it went from Partition 4...
  5. WinRE Reset Image Path

WinRE Reset Image Path: I followed the steps for update KB5034441 in the site as well as watched a video regarding the windows update and managed to install it. But had to do extra steps such as resetting the image path. When I checked the location using command prompt it went from Partition 4...
  6. WinRE Reset Image Path

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  8. "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...

"KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I...: After following "KB5028997: Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE update", I get the error the error that winre.wim not found, when I try to enable RE.KB5028997had me delete the RE partition and recreate it, so it is empty now. I copied a wim...
  9. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...
  10. I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I'm trying to folow the Instructions to manually resize your partition to install the WinRE...: I'm trying to follow the Instructions to manually resize the partition to install the WinRE update and I'm stuck at the place where I enter "sel disk". I got the error 0x80070643 - ERROR_INSTALL_FAILURE when I attempted to install the updates. When I enter the command...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. winre is not configured

2. winpe vs winre