Windows 10: What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ??

Discus and support What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ?? in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ?? [img] 88356 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by wen, Jul 6, 2017.

1. WEN
    wen Win User

What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ??

What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ?? [​IMG]

:)

2. What is my video card?

The thing is I do not know what my video card is.

FreeRoamer, Jul 6, 2017
  3. What is my video card?

This is from Microsoft

In previous OS's the dxdiag tool reported the DirectX level as the highest level that the OS supported. In Windows 10 that was changed to show the highest Direct X level that the video card driver installed supports. There has been some confusion in the
    forums with customers thinking that Windows 10 does not have DirectX 12.

Your best bet is to refer to (NVidia\AMD\Intel) sites to see what cards\drivers support full DX12.

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 6, 2017
  4. Dude Win User

Looks like it doesn't meet the minimum requirements to run it. Probably not DX 12 capable. May just need a driver update for the GPU

Dude, Jul 6, 2017
  5. WEN
    wen Win User
    I hope so, a NEW 960 or 1050?? are over $150

I'll search for drivers.

Thanks !!

6. bobkn Win User
    Looks like the DX12 requirement is correct.

It's unclear whether the DX12 support needs to be in hardware. One of the features of DX12 is that parts of it can be emulated on older hardware.

The GT720 has drivers that support DX12. These include the latest Geforce drivers at nVidia.com, 384.76. Tried them?

bobkn, Jul 6, 2017
  7. WEN
    wen Win User
    Found a NVIDIA Driver Update, only 6 days old. Loaded up the whole NVIDIA "package" for my GT720 OEM DELL. That did not work.
    Says I need an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 2GB GDDR5 OEM DELL OH4P1K. Only DELL OEM's will work in Dell XPS-8700 Desktops.

I couldn't afford NEW, so I found a very well kept, low usage Card on eBay for $80 free shipping. I don't even have to change my Dell 480 watt Power Supply and it uses same two connectors on top of card as the GT720 did. It's an OEM DELL NVIDIA so it's compatible with Dell BIOS.

I have a 4 Year Square-Trade Warranty on my Dell, so this "used" NVIDIA OEM will be covered for another two years.

8. swarfega Win User

The *20 sku of any given generation of NVidia graphics cards are more budget orientated cards where the *70/*80s are high end.

swarfega, Jul 8, 2017
  9. WEN
    wen Win User
    WHERE do I find this ??

Both Boards have NO box. And I can't open Computer to look.

10. WEN
    wen Win User
    YES, I sure did !! Strange that same Driver (384.76) is for both GT720 and GTX 960 ?? And NO DX12 for GT720

11. bobkn Win User
    Who or what "says" that? As far as I can tell from a little web searching, and past experience with Dells, that is nonsense. Dell has done some nonstandard proprietary things in the past, but they have never, to my knowledge, blocked the use of non-Dell graphics cards. If you talk to Dell support, they may only recommend cards that they have tested with the 8700. That doesn't mean that others can't work.

Some newer graphics cards require that the 8700's BIOS be updated to A10.

Aside from that, the issues would be the standard graphics card compatibility ones: PSU size, availability of PCI-E power connectors (if needed).

"it uses the same two connector on top of the card as the GT 720 did". I'm confused. The GT 720 is a low-power card (30W), and it doesn't need any auxiliary PCI-E power. Does the Device manager control panel also tell you that you have a 720?

bobkn, Jul 8, 2017
  12. swarfega Win User
    You can download a program called Speccy which is widely used on these forums.

swarfega, Jul 8, 2017
  13. WEN
    wen Win User

I have been using Speccy Professional Edition for about two years now. Love it.
    I updated XPS-8700 BIOS to A11 on (7-9-2015)
    I hurriedly looked at my Dell XPS-8700 manual and saw this:

I haven't open MY Dell in several weeks.
    I just opened it and the GT720 has NO POWER CONNECTIONS. The Power cables are just dangling in there, unused.
    My Apologies.

14. WEN
    wen Win User
    And about using Genuine DELL NVIDIA Video Cards, I saw on YouTube about 25+ times that NON-DELL will not boot up and give you BSOD ??

15. WEN
    wen Win User

Thema:

1. What is wrong with my VIDEO Card ?? - Similar Threads - wrong VIDEO Card

2. something is wrong with my computer monitor or onboard video card

in Windows 10 Gaming
    something is wrong with my computer monitor or onboard video card: Hello I updated my Dell Optiplex 790 and now I can't get my computer or monitor to talk. And I just bought a HDMI cables two display port adapters and even tried swapping out a harddrive and reinstall windows nothing is working. I know the tower is working because it lights...
  3. something is wrong with my computer monitor or onboard video card

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    something is wrong with my computer monitor or onboard video card: Hello I updated my Dell Optiplex 790 and now I can't get my computer or monitor to talk. And I just bought a HDMI cables two display port adapters and even tried swapping out a harddrive and reinstall windows nothing is working. I know the tower is working because it lights...
  4. something is wrong with my computer monitor or onboard video card

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. video card in my laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    video card in my laptop: my laptop video card what gb https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/video-card-in-my-laptop/e99c9583-8698-4c0a-9ff4-fe7237db2e29
  6. What Is Wrong With My Video Directory?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Is Wrong With My Video Directory?: I don't know what did this but if I am in a program that ask me to select a folder for a video to be saved to or imported from it has changed the name of a directory. I have created a folder Movies & TV which gets changed. I also see the error if I open windows explorer and...
  7. Video card

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Video card: How can I determine whether my video card supports hardware encoding of H.264 codec? I am using Cyberlink PowerDirector software version 10 to convert a VHS C tape into an .mp4 file and I have hit a stumbling block. Thanks...
  8. What's my wrong?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What's my wrong?: Hello all: After years working of my w10, I feel it has changed something out of my experience. Right now every night before I go to sleep, I do the "Start/Power/Shout Down" Then next morning I open and boot it. The strange thing is: after booting, the speed of...
  9. There is something wrong with my network card.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    There is something wrong with my network card.: There is something wrong with my network card as I have no internet and my Ethernet Port does not work anymore, my PC thinks that it's connected to a non-existent public network and I have tried to fix it in all the ways I know, even to the extent of me resetting my network...
  10. video card

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    video card: Hello everyone I need help. some friends and I have a problem with our pc and it is that they do not use the whole video card and some simple programs run with difficulty. I have a netbook Processor intel celeron 847 and it has 967mb of total graphic memory but memory...