Windows 10: What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality?

Discus and support What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality? in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I just bought a Sager notebook with the GTX 1080, and as I've been testing the latest games, I've realized that getting 4K quality at 60FPS is a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by AnonVendetta, May 24, 2017.

1. What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality?

I just bought a Sager notebook with the GTX 1080, and as I've been testing the latest games, I've realized that getting 4K quality at 60FPS is a difficult feat even with the 1080. I didn't exactly expect to get a constant 60 in every title, that would be unrealistic even for such a beast GPU. On the other hand, I see the names of alot of the graphics settings in games, I have no idea what most of them really mean. Anisotropic filtering...What's that? Antialiasing...Huh? SSAO...no idea. I only know that I love playing games, I mess with each setting to see what effect it has, but not knowing the meaning of it. Sometimes my FPS dips into the low 40s or even high 30s at 4k. Playable, sure, but nowhere near 60. So at this point this leaves me with the decision to choose FPS over quality, or quality over FPS. I'm not really sure, but I think I will take lower FPS with max quality, as long as performance stays good that is fine with me.

But what do you guys/gals prefer? Would you be willing to lower settings to get a constant 60? Or will you max out your settings at the cost of FPS, to get every juicy visual detail?

Games I've tested so far:
    Hitman
    Doom
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Grand Theft Auto V

They all look stellar and run really well with most settings maxxed, at the cost of FPS.

Thanks for any opinions!

:)

AnonVendetta, May 24, 2017
  2. korngear Win User

A Cool N81 Review

Open it up periodicallyWhat is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality? :D

What is FPS? Frame per second?

I dunno if the games support higher frame rate. I only know N95 8GB (and N95 will have) the ngage platform with 3D Graphics accelerator!

While N81 doesnt have it!What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality? :p

korngear, May 24, 2017
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    2nd monitor not displaying correct resolution

This may be a better question for the AMD forums, but ...

The Benq displays what it capable of if you run only a single monitor, yes ?

- Do you have same problem with the Benq if the IPS monitor is secondary ?

- Have you tried disabling G-sync, to see if that affects the res and refresh rate ?

- If you have Intel HD4000 or higher integrated graphics will that push 1440 on the IPS , so you can

focus the HD6900's on the Benq goodness ?

You shouldn't need to worry the fps (depending on what you use the IPS for, of course), if gaming on the Benq.

BossDweeb, May 24, 2017
  4. What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality?

I tend to lean more towards FPS. With GTA V, with all settings maxed, including advanced, I would drop down as low as 45 FPS on occasion, so I turned down a few of the advanced settings and now average around 100 FPS in most places, with a drop down to about 72 FPS at the same location that I would drop to 45 FPS with everything on.

In more demanding games like Watch Dogs 2, or in games that don't support SLI, I try to find the right settings that will keep me above 60 FPS as much as possible, even if it effects the graphics a bit.

blackroseMD1, May 24, 2017
  5. I like to go with the highest graphic settings that will match monitor/display highest refresh rate. For me, there's a lot of options as I only run at 1080P and this monitor does 60HZ, 100, 120 and 144. So, for example, Doom, locked into 120 FPS at 120 HZ with full graphics and never actually dropping below 120 is a thing of beauty (clarity wise) with a great response time.

If you aren't sure which settings to use Nvidia's Geforce Experience will give you recommended individual game settings based on your hardware (Get Optimal Playable Settings, Automatically | GeForce). You can try it. In their game section they often tell you which game features are the biggest hit on FPS, so you can use this info to increase FPS as required if you are trying to match refresh rate.

Enjoy your new hardware. *Smile

specialkone, May 24, 2017
  6. Landi Win User
    Its depended on the game i played. If its FPS and then i would go with better framerate rather than maximize the graphic, but i would go with better graphic on some games such as fighting games or RPG game.

Landi, May 25, 2017
  7. pparks1 Win User
    I go for playability of the game without question. I play with the settings and if I cannot easily discern what graphics were lost I turn things down. Takes a load off the GPU, and ensures smooth gameplay. Being at max across the board means nothing to me.

pparks1, May 25, 2017
  8. Dude Win User

What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality?

FPS are good, but when you can have good FPS and all the eye candy you really can enjoy the game more

9. Stephanie Win User
    What is your preference .... Blowing the hell out of anything ! Frag on *chuckle

Stephanie, May 25, 2017
  10. Dude Win User
    *Cool

11. I prefer graphics quality to FPS. I really can't tell the difference between 60 and 100 FPS anyway, and I'd rather have the richer graphics experience in some games. If the game is really demanding, I will turn down the graphics settings for a little more performance, and so that I don't over stress my card.

But stuttering? I hate stuttering.

Gurn Blanston, May 26, 2017
  12. pparks1 Win User
    Would you accept stuttering to make it look better? If not, you seem to value fps over quality, which is the opposite of what you answered.

pparks1, May 26, 2017
  13. Archie123 Win User

Try this ..... turn off your fps counter ..... enjoy

Archie123, May 26, 2017
  14. worf105 Win User
    I always prefer eye candy in my games I play so start at max settings ans see how the FPS are at that level. If poor then move down from their until you get the best looking game with a playable FPS.

worf105, May 26, 2017
  15. clam1952 Win User
    ^^ What he said, I go for quality and ignore FPS unless there is an obvious problem.

clam1952, May 26, 2017
Thema:

1. What is your preference, higher FPS or better graphics quality? - Similar Threads - preference higher FPS

2. Define the graphic preference

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Define the graphic preference: My PC has an AMD R5 7600 with RX 6700 XT, as we know the TDP of R5 7600 is 65W, and 6700XT is 230W, it's obviously the graphics from CPU could save much more power, but why windows define the 6700 as power saving, doesn't make sense.Is that possible to modify the definition....
  3. Define the graphic preference

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Define the graphic preference: My PC has an AMD R5 7600 with RX 6700 XT, as we know the TDP of R5 7600 is 65W, and 6700XT is 230W, it's obviously the graphics from CPU could save much more power, but why windows define the 6700 as power saving, doesn't make sense.Is that possible to modify the definition....
  4. Graphics Performance Preferences

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Performance Preferences: In the Graphics Performance Preferences settings you are able to set individual programs/.exe's/store apps to use either a high performance gpu or the iGPU to save power.Leaving the option as "let windows decide" just leaves windows to always make the wrong decision, as it...
  5. Graphics Performance Preferences

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Graphics Performance Preferences: In the Graphics Performance Preferences settings you are able to set individual programs/.exe's/store apps to use either a high performance gpu or the iGPU to save power.Leaving the option as "let windows decide" just leaves windows to always make the wrong decision, as it...
  6. Graphics Performance Preferences

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. What is your preferred encryption software?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What is your preferred encryption software?: I use Bitlocker, and Steganos. I'm testing Veracrypt whole disk encryption on one desktop to see how well the latest version handles windows updates, and how well it works with my backup software. 179983
  8. HyperX Automatic Overclocking the higher MHz the better ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HyperX Automatic Overclocking the higher MHz the better ?: Ok so I was planning to upgrade rams on a DDR3L 1600MHz laptop I have and then I cam across an interesting finding that Kingston managed to make rams that can automatically overclock themselves . They have been around for a while now but till date I see no in depth...
  9. Whats your preference on using the built in Firewall?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Whats your preference on using the built in Firewall?: IF we have a hardware router (asus 87R) is it ok to turn off the windows firewall? What is the consensus on using it from users on here? 12233
  10. Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge

in Windows 10 News
    Get better quality video with Microsoft Edge: When it comes to video, the closer to the hardware, the better. From video hardware acceleration to PlayReady Content Protection and the Protected Media Path, Windows 10 is designed to provide the highest quality, most secure, and most power-efficient video playback available...