Windows 10: What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second...

Discus and support What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second... in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I don't know WHAT went wrong but my screen went black just now for 1 second and everything went back to normal. Also that sound that something went... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by RingTailCoon, Dec 12, 2017.

1. What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second...

I don't know WHAT went wrong but my screen went black just now for 1 second and everything went back to normal. Also that sound that something went disconnected (like you remove a USB stick) but I cannot see what went disconnected (everything still visible in Explorer)

When I looked at the logs: also nothing out of the ordinary...

So what just happened? *Confused

EDIT: Oops, was just an display driver update! *Redface Mystery solved!

:)

RingTailCoon, Dec 12, 2017
  2. jimilona Win User

Screen went blank

I just purchased a 7205 Intrigue. The screen went black while I was checking out the settings. The time does not show on the front either. Can you help me get the display back? Thanks.

jimilona, Dec 12, 2017
  3. LUMIA 720 SCREEN JUST WENT BLANK

Connect charger to phone. And what you see on phone.

MCCshreyas, Dec 12, 2017
  4. EdTittel Win User

What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second...

It had to be something graphics related, especially because things immediately went back to normal after the event. Glad to read your cause was entirely benign and easily diagnosed. When it's NOT because of a driver update, this kind of thing usually means either a driver problem (easily fixed) or hardware issues with the GPU or graphics circuitry (often easily fixed as well, but seldom cheaply). Thanks for sharing your solution. This should help other forum members.
    --Ed--

PS: I, too, experience this whenever Nvidia updates its drivers (actually, when I run Nvidia update). As an added "bonus" I have to move any open apps on my number 2 screen back from screen number 1 to screen number 2 when this happens. If I routinely open apps on Screen 2 but they're not open when the driver update occurs, they still pop up on screen 2.

EdTittel, Dec 12, 2017
  5. debsawyer Win User
    Yes, this happens to me all the time when Nvidia updates their drivers.

debsawyer, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second...

1. What just happened? Screen went blank for 1 second... - Similar Threads - happened Screen went

2. Second screen went black

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Second screen went black: I have been using the same monitor for the past 9 years, with the same laptop for the past 5. Never had any issue with it but today when I plug it in HDMI, the laptop detects it but the screen is black. I tested it with 2 other laptops, worked well. I also tested another HDMI...
  3. What the heck just happened?

in Windows 10 Support
    What the heck just happened?: Five-year old Dell desktop with OEM Win10. Five-months ago, thought SSD C-drive was caput. After buying new SSD and installing Win10 on same, got the old SSD to work as an extra drive that wasn't being used. Things have been running fine until . . . Yesterday, Windows...
  4. What just happened?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What just happened?: I had that thing when you should click on the key for 1 sec for typing it, so I unabled is but I had a problem is that Fn is always ON. I know I didn't explain that well so here's an example: -in the past I had to press Alt+f4 to close the window />Now I have to click...
  5. HELP What just happened?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HELP What just happened?: I wanted to delete some files and when I tried deleting them in my garbage bin my whole desktop got filled with all my files that I had in folders on my desktop. My mouse is permanently loading when I hover desktop. I can't click down right corner to get to the desktop it...
  6. What just happened?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What just happened?: I was resetting my whole windows 10 PC, it was fine but taking forever. An hour later It was at 12%. After I came back for some reason it was at “choose an option” screen. Do you know what happened?!...
  7. what just happened

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what just happened: i was playing a nintendo ds game on my laptop using desmume which is a nintendo ds emulator. i had configured the l key to load state and the s key to save state. i loaded the game into the emulator and i pressed alt enter to do full screen and then i pressed l to do load...
  8. Second screen blank

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Second screen blank: Hi All, I have just upgraded from win 7 to Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. I have 2 screen attached to a usb2.0 to VGA splitter. I have tried to extend to second monitor but all I get is a black screen with a mouse pointer so I know its working! I have cheked all the drivers on...
  9. What Happened After The Lights Went Out?

in Windows 10 Support
    What Happened After The Lights Went Out?: This one defies explanation. This is a 3 month old machine, clean, up to date, in good health and runs well. I don't get too aggressive tweaking one if it runs right. Things work best if I just learn to use whatever's new as opposed to forcing it to be like what I had been...
  10. What just happened?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What just happened?: Hi I got so fed up with Windows 10 constantly updating as well as any number of annoying other things, that I decided to go back an do a Clean Install of Windows 7. But within Minutes of doing that, I was getting pestered by the 'Nag Screen' urging me to update to...