Windows 10: What just happened?

Discus and support What just happened? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi I got so fed up with Windows 10 constantly updating as well as any number of annoying other things, that I decided to go back an do a Clean... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Cyberdesigner, Mar 18, 2016.

1. What just happened?

Hi

I got so fed up with Windows 10 constantly updating as well as any number of annoying other things, that I decided to go back an do a Clean Install of Windows 7.

But within Minutes of doing that, I was getting pestered by the 'Nag Screen' urging me to update to Windows 10, where eventually it beat me into Submission and lived in hope that they had sorted it out.

And so I used my ISO disk to Upgrade to Windows 10

Everything was going well right up to the very last bit, when it asked me to enter my Product Number.

Obviously I didn't have one but this time there was no way to Skip filling it in and I couldn't continue without out.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Previously, they have allowed you to 'Skip' filling it in but not this time.

:)

Cyberdesigner, Mar 18, 2016
  2. what!?!? Win User

Apps not closing, still running in background

Thanks for the response. I am not looking for a "close all" function. Sometimes I intentionally want to leave an app running. In windows phone 8.1, I could exit and close th app by merely selecting the arrow/back button, I am looking for that same functionality.
    When I'm in an app, I want to be able to exit directly from there and not have it continuing in the background.

what!?!?, Mar 18, 2016
  3. what!?!? Win User
    Apps not closing, still running in background

I just got my Lumia 950 phone. On my prior Windows phone, when I pressed the arrow/back button on the bottom left screen, I would exit the app. On Windows 10 phone, I've been doing that and I just realized I'm not exiting the apps. I had intentionally not
    exited an app (because it had my boarding pass). Instead of back button, I pressed the middle window button. Later when I went back to call up my airline app, I pressed the arrow/back button and held it. Similar to my old windows phone, it showed me all the
    apps that were open. SURPRISE! unlike my previous phone, no app had been closing. Right now, I can't seem to find a "one click" way to exit an app. The only way is after I've done a few things, I hold the back button and click the "X" on each of the open items.

Can someone tell me how to exit an app with one click or swipe so that it is not still running, i.e. when I press the back button I will not see it? I'm sure this is something simple. I search the instructions that came with the phone and looked in the
    forum but haven't found the answer.

thanks in advance the assist.

what!?!?, Mar 18, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

What just happened?

At the page where you were asked for a product key, did you see a " I do not have a product key " option ?
    If yes, you could click that option and continue.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  5. Have you not got a COA key anywhere on the computer? Your Windows 7/8 Key should work for upgrading even if you don't have one for WIndows 10.

thebritton, Mar 18, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    The OP doesn't have to enter the Win 7 key.
    He had Win 10 installed once, then he went back to Win 7.
    Once his Win 10 was installed and activated, he is digitally entitled.
    He does not need a key to reinstall Win 10 anymore.

davidhk, Mar 18, 2016
  7. NavyLCDR New Member
    You have the wrong edition/version of Windows 10 ISO downloaded. Need to go back and download the edition/version of Windows 10 that matches your installed Windows 7.

NavyLCDR, Mar 18, 2016
  8. What just happened?

No I didn't see that option

Cyberdesigner, Mar 19, 2016
  9. Yes I had a product Key for Windows XP and for the Windows 7 Upgrade disk and it automatically activated Windows 7 for me, which is why I couldn't understand why it asked for my product key at the end of the process, with no option to 'Skip'

10. That ISO disk has always worked before, I didn't do anything different.

11. Yes, I get that but I couldn't get into the programmme without entering it, maybe I should have tried entering the Win 7 number but I've not had to do that before.

12. NavyLCDR New Member
    In Windows 7, open an elevated ("run as administrator") command prompt. Run:
    slmgr /dlv
    and post the result window here, please. It won't have any unique identity info in it, so you don't have to blank anything out. That will help us troubleshoot what the problem might be. This is mine (from Windows 10, though):

What just happened? [​IMG]

NavyLCDR, Mar 19, 2016
  13. davidhk Win User

What just happened?

If you care to, use this Tech Bench link and download the current Windows 10 ISO file :

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...brrWLRbagYCa0w

scroll down to Select Edition > select the version your computer is now running > click Confirm.
    click the pointer and select Language > make sure you pick the same language the computer is now running > click Confirm
    select the bit version, 32 or 64-bit. Make sure you select the same bit version as the computer is now running.
    at the bottom, click the pointer next to Save > click Save As > navigate to a folder of your choice > click the chosen folder > click Save
    The iso will start downloading to your chosen folder.
    You can then burn it to a bootable media and try your clean install again.

davidhk, Mar 19, 2016
  14. davidhk Win User
    Cyberdesigner,

One day has passed.
    What is your current status ?
    Issue resolved ?

davidhk, Mar 20, 2016
  15. Hi

I've done a Clean Install of Windows XP and I am staying with that.

Cyberdesigner, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

What just happened?

1. What just happened? - Similar Threads - happened

2. Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available.": On connecting an external hard disk to a HP laptop, I found file explorer had slow response with looping after upgrading Windows 11. I could not stop file explorer in task manager and could not shut down Windows 11 so I powered off the the laptop. When I restarted the Windows...
  3. Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 "Something Happened and Your PIN Isn’t Available.": On connecting an external hard disk to a HP laptop, I found file explorer had slow response with looping after upgrading Windows 11. I could not stop file explorer in task manager and could not shut down Windows 11 so I powered off the the laptop. When I restarted the Windows...
  4. I updated to 8.1 yesterday and today this happened and I cant fix it as the cursor is...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I updated to 8.1 yesterday and today this happened and I cant fix it as the cursor is...: I'm trying to add a picture but it's not working but it's a prompt that covers most of the screen it's purple and says please wait in the middle with the option can cel in the bottom right corner, and also games such as roblox and I tried everything...
  5. I updated to 8.1 yesterday and today this happened and I cant fix it as the cursor is...

I updated to 8.1 yesterday and today this happened and I cant fix it as the cursor is...: I'm trying to add a picture but it's not working but it's a prompt that covers most of the screen it's purple and says please wait in the middle with the option can cel in the bottom right corner, and also games such as roblox and I tried everything...
  6. How to get rid of ping spikes happening every 8-15 seconds. Happens while video streaming...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to get rid of ping spikes happening every 8-15 seconds. Happens while video streaming...: For a couple of days now I have been experiencing rough ping spikes while gaming and video streaming. It happens between consistent intervals, usually around every 8-15 seconds. It will jump up to 200 or even 300 and then back down. I have tried many solutions but nothing has...
  7. How to get rid of ping spikes happening every 8-15 seconds. Happens while video streaming...

How to get rid of ping spikes happening every 8-15 seconds. Happens while video streaming...: For a couple of days now I have been experiencing rough ping spikes while gaming and video streaming. It happens between consistent intervals, usually around every 8-15 seconds. It will jump up to 200 or even 300 and then back down. I have tried many solutions but nothing has...
  8. What happen with my laptop?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happen with my laptop?: I dont restart the laptop after update a haft of Windows 11 one drive dont enough to update, I restart but it has problem, I press anything,, it does boots and it requires me restart again. Then, it shut down and now I can't turn on my laptop and I plug in, the light dont...
  9. What happen with my laptop?

What happen with my laptop?: I dont restart the laptop after update a haft of Windows 11 one drive dont enough to update, I restart but it has problem, I press anything,, it does boots and it requires me restart again. Then, it shut down and now I can't turn on my laptop and I plug in, the light dont...
  10. Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening

Stuck at 62% and nothing is happening: I am resetting my pcnot factory reset and for more than an hour it is preparing to reset and is stuck at 62%. I tried cancelling and trying it again but still gets stuck at 62%....