Windows 10: What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives?

Discus and support What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elbeasto, Sep 8, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives?

Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they spin down something else causes them to start up again.

They will eventually turn off but spin up again at a later time for no reason.
    I see that there is no data being written to them in task manager.

:)

elbeasto, Sep 8, 2015
  2. Anne Ros Win User

wake sleep mode Window 10

Thank you for your response. If all settings are set to sleep, then the issue is related to the mechanism set by Dell and not a software related issue. Since the sleep mode is working and you have to press the power button to wake it up, then it is how the
    mechanism of Dell laptop works. Each device has its own mechanism of how the power options will work, depending on which manufacturer made it. Dell set its mechanism that way on how to wake the laptop, and that's what the operating system will follow.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Sep 8, 2015
  3. netjeffm Win User
    Wake up from Sleep causes Kernel Power Error 41.

FYI, I had similar symptoms. In my case the solution was getting the latest "Intel Storage Driver". See my question "Reboot
    when trying to wake from sleep
    ".

netjeffm, Sep 8, 2015
  4. Tonyb Win User

Windows itself will wake the drives periodically for maintenance and such, if they are on USB then the drive itself may be just coming in and out of sleep mode.

Tonyb, Sep 9, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Take a look here.. in power settings.
    What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Sep 9, 2015
  6. Unless you have a really good reason expecting them to turn off after one minute seems a bit drastic to me. Parking their heads that often may be worse than letting them spin all the time. The default of twenty minutes seems to be more realistic. HDDs are pretty resilient things , I've only had one fail in twenty years and I've had a lot from 420MB's upwards.*chuckle

Torquemada, Sep 9, 2015
  7. Tonyb Win User
    mine are on 24x7 all the time never sleep at all never once failed and mine are at least 10 yrs old.

Tonyb, Sep 9, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

The drives will only stay idle if the machine is idle with no scans or searches, and probably numerous other things, going on.

Edwin, Sep 9, 2015
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Edwin, as always, you have an elegant way of stating the obvious..... *Biggrin

f14tomcat, Sep 9, 2015
  10. elbeasto Win User
    LoL @ Tomcat

but yeah, thanks for the Wake settings, I didn't know it existed.

The reason for the one minute setting is purely noise related & I'm looking to have everything on a silent NAS at some point so I only have an SSD in the desktop.

elbeasto, Sep 9, 2015
  11. elbeasto Win User
    My drives are still waking for no reason (that I can see).

Is there a command that I can see what is actually accessing the drives? That way I can disable it, uninstall it or delete it.

elbeasto, Sep 11, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    You could try excluding certain drives from Defender monitoring.

Edwin, Sep 11, 2015
  13. elbeasto Win User

Thanks Edwin, I've added all my non OS drives to the Exclusion list. They all fired up when added lol *Biggrin

elbeasto, Sep 11, 2015
  14. elbeasto Win User
    Okay, all the mechanical drives have been added yet Windows Defender Service is still waking the drives.

Also, I noticed that search indexer is accessing my external USB drive even though it's not included in the drives to be indexed.

So there's two broken settings in Defender and Search indexer.

elbeasto, Sep 12, 2015
  15. elbeasto Win User
    This is getting really annoying - every 15min to 30 min all my drives start spinning, nothing is being written or read from them, they are just being woken.

The USB drive never spins down either, I had to download the WD spin down util which I keep having to use to turn the drive off.

The SATA drives spin down after a few mins but they're on for no reason.

I'm either going to have to remove all the drives from the PC or go back to Win7.

elbeasto, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? - Similar Threads - keeps waking sleeping

2. What is 'Waking' my PC?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is 'Waking' my PC?: I have been putting my computer to sleep yet at around the hours of 10pm-12am MST all of a sudden it wakes up. I have disabled my mouse and keyboard both from being able to wake the device, as well they both get turned off and are not on when the PC suddenly wakes itself....
  3. Surface Book 2, sleep issues, keeps waking.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Surface Book 2, sleep issues, keeps waking.: I have a Surface Book 2 (15") with Windows 10. No matter what, it won't stay asleep. Looked in Event Log, no events logged for waking up. Pressing the sleep button throws the sleep mode briefly then enters the login screen, hitting the sleep button a second time puts the...
  4. WINDOWS 10 PC KEEPS WAKING FROM SLEEP

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WINDOWS 10 PC KEEPS WAKING FROM SLEEP: PC continually wakes from sleep in Windows 10. powercfg /lastwake identified Intel(R)USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller-1.0 (Microsoft) Intel no longer supports host controller. Intel Driver Assistant, scanned and advised no updates for device. How do I stop this...
  5. Sleep and Wake up

Sleep and Wake up: I use Windows 10 with latest fixes, my problem is when I put my PC to sleep I touch a key and the system unit wakes up but the screen stays sleeping. Eventually touching the mouse or more keys then makes the system reboot. Any help much appreciated...
  6. Mouse keeps waking up PC from sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse keeps waking up PC from sleep: Hi, I am trying to prevent my mouse from waking up my PC and currently haven't found a solution. Things tried: Wake up feature from the mouse is currently unticked. In the keyboard section there are two HID keyboards. The second one is the mouse, since when I unticked...
  7. Computer keeps waking from sleep. Tried everything.

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer keeps waking from sleep. Tried everything.: Computer regularly wakes from sleep. Powercfg -lastwake shows nothing. All wake timers are disabled. All schedules have allow wakeup unticked. All device wakeups (mouse, keyboard etc) are disabled. Event viewer shows all the wake times but Wake source: Unknown....
  8. Computer won't sleep consistently; keeps waking up

Computer won't sleep consistently; keeps waking up: My Windows 10 install won't stay asleep, and it's driving me mad. Sleeping used to work just fine back when I was running Win7. It would go to sleep when told, stay asleep until woken. Everything was great. Then it started waking up at random times. I did a lot of...
  9. Sleep: Keeps waking up!

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep: Keeps waking up!: Hi Folks, Since I upgraded to 10 I have had constant issues. Mainly when I put the machine to sleep it wakes itself up automatically. I have banned all deviced from allowing it to wake, removed it from any workgroups and a million other fixes I have seen online. Yet I...
  10. What is waking my PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    What is waking my PC?: I've tried everything here. All my keyboard/mouse devices have "Allow this device to wake the computer" unchecked. Wake timers are disabled. Automatic Maintenance is disabled. Despite all this, my PC still consistently wakes up in the middle of the night around 2-5 AM....