Windows 10: What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives?

Discus and support What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by elbeasto, Sep 8, 2015.

1. elbeasto Win User

What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives?

Windows 10 really likes to start up my storage drives. I have them set to sleep after one minute in the balanced power profile but not long after they spin down something else causes them to start up again.

They will eventually turn off but spin up again at a later time for no reason.
    I see that there is no data being written to them in task manager.

:)

elbeasto, Sep 8, 2015
  2. Anne Ros Win User

wake sleep mode Window 10

Thank you for your response. If all settings are set to sleep, then the issue is related to the mechanism set by Dell and not a software related issue. Since the sleep mode is working and you have to press the power button to wake it up, then it is how the
    mechanism of Dell laptop works. Each device has its own mechanism of how the power options will work, depending on which manufacturer made it. Dell set its mechanism that way on how to wake the laptop, and that's what the operating system will follow.

Let us know if you need anything else. We're here to help.

Anne Ros, Sep 8, 2015
  3. netjeffm Win User
    Wake up from Sleep causes Kernel Power Error 41.

FYI, I had similar symptoms. In my case the solution was getting the latest "Intel Storage Driver". See my question "Reboot
    when trying to wake from sleep
    ".

netjeffm, Sep 8, 2015
  4. Tonyb Win User

Windows itself will wake the drives periodically for maintenance and such, if they are on USB then the drive itself may be just coming in and out of sleep mode.

Tonyb, Sep 9, 2015
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Take a look here.. in power settings.
    What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? [​IMG]

f14tomcat, Sep 9, 2015
  6. Unless you have a really good reason expecting them to turn off after one minute seems a bit drastic to me. Parking their heads that often may be worse than letting them spin all the time. The default of twenty minutes seems to be more realistic. HDDs are pretty resilient things , I've only had one fail in twenty years and I've had a lot from 420MB's upwards.*chuckle

Torquemada, Sep 9, 2015
  7. Tonyb Win User
    mine are on 24x7 all the time never sleep at all never once failed and mine are at least 10 yrs old.

Tonyb, Sep 9, 2015
  8. Edwin New Member

The drives will only stay idle if the machine is idle with no scans or searches, and probably numerous other things, going on.

Edwin, Sep 9, 2015
  9. f14tomcat Win User
    Edwin, as always, you have an elegant way of stating the obvious..... *Biggrin

f14tomcat, Sep 9, 2015
  10. elbeasto Win User
    LoL @ Tomcat

but yeah, thanks for the Wake settings, I didn't know it existed.

The reason for the one minute setting is purely noise related & I'm looking to have everything on a silent NAS at some point so I only have an SSD in the desktop.

elbeasto, Sep 9, 2015
  11. elbeasto Win User
    My drives are still waking for no reason (that I can see).

Is there a command that I can see what is actually accessing the drives? That way I can disable it, uninstall it or delete it.

elbeasto, Sep 11, 2015
  12. Edwin New Member
    You could try excluding certain drives from Defender monitoring.

Edwin, Sep 11, 2015
  13. elbeasto Win User

Thanks Edwin, I've added all my non OS drives to the Exclusion list. They all fired up when added lol *Biggrin

elbeasto, Sep 11, 2015
  14. elbeasto Win User
    Okay, all the mechanical drives have been added yet Windows Defender Service is still waking the drives.

Also, I noticed that search indexer is accessing my external USB drive even though it's not included in the drives to be indexed.

So there's two broken settings in Defender and Search indexer.

elbeasto, Sep 12, 2015
  15. elbeasto Win User
    This is getting really annoying - every 15min to 30 min all my drives start spinning, nothing is being written or read from them, they are just being woken.

The USB drive never spins down either, I had to download the WD spin down util which I keep having to use to turn the drive off.

The SATA drives spin down after a few mins but they're on for no reason.

I'm either going to have to remove all the drives from the PC or go back to Win7.

elbeasto, Sep 14, 2015
Thema:

1. What keeps waking my sleeping mechanical storage drives? - Similar Threads - keeps waking sleeping

2. PC keeps waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keeps waking from sleep: Hi all Not sure what is causing this? or how to fix it?C:\Windows\System32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43F7&SUBSYS_11421B21&REV_01\6&2766d23f&0&00600011 Friendly...
  3. PC keeps waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC keeps waking from sleep: Hi all Not sure what is causing this? or how to fix it?C:\Windows\System32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_43F7&SUBSYS_11421B21&REV_01\6&2766d23f&0&00600011 Friendly...
  4. What keeps waking up my pc?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What keeps waking up my pc?: Event viewer says "source unknown" and command prompt says "wake history count - 1".Aside from turning off literally everything, is there a way to figure out what is causing this? Nothing will tell me....
  5. What keeps waking up my pc?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What keeps waking up my pc?: Event viewer says "source unknown" and command prompt says "wake history count - 1".Aside from turning off literally everything, is there a way to figure out what is causing this? Nothing will tell me....
  6. Computer keeps waking from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer keeps waking from sleep: My computer (fully up-to-date - 19042.746) Windows 10 Home x64 wakes from sleep constantly. This is what is waking the computer: C:\Windows\system32>powercfg -lastwake Wake History Count - 1 Wake History [0] Wake Source Count - 1 Wake Source [0] Type: Device Instance Path:...
  7. What is waking my computer from sleep?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is waking my computer from sleep?: I put my windows 10 desktop computer to sleep or hibernation and without touching the mouse or keyboard after a while (not sure about the time interval) I find it running. How can I check what wake him up? I do have WOL activated but not using it (not me at least :)...
  8. My PC keeps waking up from sleep every time I wake my laptop from sleep.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My PC keeps waking up from sleep every time I wake my laptop from sleep.: The subject is pretty self-explaining I guess. I run the same Windows 10 updates and everything is identical and up to date all the time. I'm not sure if someone is having the same issue or maybe other people just turn their PC off when they're not using it but I'm more a...
  9. my nas keeps on waking up from sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    my nas keeps on waking up from sleep: i have a synology ds215j which is in my bedroom. inside it are two 4tb wd red nas drives. the main router is in the living room. i extended a long network wire to my bedroom and i connected another router to that network wire. i connected a short network wire from my router...
  10. Sleep: Keeps waking up!

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep: Keeps waking up!: Hi Folks, Since I upgraded to 10 I have had constant issues. Mainly when I put the machine to sleep it wakes itself up automatically. I have banned all deviced from allowing it to wake, removed it from any workgroups and a million other fixes I have seen online. Yet I...