Windows 10: What Operating systems are on your virtual machines and why?

Discus and support What Operating systems are on your virtual machines and why? in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; OK thought I would see how many of us who use computers also dip into other Operating Systems to fool around with. Windows 311 just for giggles.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Indianatone, Jun 23, 2014.

1. What Operating systems are on your virtual machines and why?

OK thought I would see how many of us who use computers also dip into other Operating Systems to fool around with.

Windows 311 just for giggles.
    View attachment 1276

Windows 8.1.1 tweaked to look like 7

View attachment 1277

:)

Indianatone, Jun 23, 2014
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Unable to run old games after upgrading to Windows 10

1- Find out which operating system the game runs best on.

2- Install that operating system to a virtual machine on your computer.

3- Install the game to the virtual machine.

4- Enjoy!

BulldogXX, Jun 23, 2014
  3. Can I convert a System Drive into a Virtual Machine?

I have previously seen how I can emulate an operating system within a
    virtual machine to run like a
    system drive that is running on a different operating system.

Of all the explanation I have surveyed tell me to install the OS from within the virtual machine, like when starting from scratch on a fresh install.

However, what if I have a system drive with an older operating system with programs that I want to turn into a virtualized machine, could this be done by converting the available system drive into a virtualisation file? Or is there a different way of mounting
    the system drive into a virtual machine?

I expect once changes are made, then I would not be able to use the system drive as a physical boot drive, as it would now be part of the virtual machine, and that software licences might need to be reactivated, once launched from within the virtual machine.

DouglasNigelB, Jun 23, 2014
  4. LEE
    Lee Win User

What Operating systems are on your virtual machines and why?

At the time two is enough for me. .Mac OS 10.10 DP 2, and Win 8.1.1 is more than enough for me. Any more then that, and I would be . . .*Eek

5. Ztruker Win User
    My current VMs under Oracle Virtual Box are:

View attachment 1278

I like to play with various OSes as well as have access to the main Windows OSes to look for answers to problems people post on forums.

Ztruker, Jun 23, 2014
  6. strollin Win User
    I have too many to list. Just about every MS OS as far back as DOS 6.2. Also have a slew of different Linux distros as I like to play with the different OSes.

strollin, Jun 23, 2014
  7. I only have XP on my Windows 7 machine and nothing on this Windows 8.1 machine but very rarely use XP. I only put it on there to try and get my Nintendo USB Connector to work but as Nintendo have now closed down that side of things since bringing out the 3DS systems I no longer need to use it, plus I'll be upgrading that machine to 8 soon.

Joan Archer, Jun 24, 2014
  8. tomppa Win User

Only XP And just for old games

tomppa, Jun 25, 2014
  9. CountMike New Member
    Right now, only Linux Mint 17 and Win XP Pro Sp3, for some ancient stuff that would not run otherwise.
    Planing to try "android-x86-4.4-RC2" one of these days, it worked well as Live on USB. No need for much else, I have this dual boot with Win7 Sp1 Ultimate on another HDD and few versions of Linux on USBs, either as Live or Persistent.

CountMike, Jul 18, 2014
  10. I have Mint16 just to check it out. Also both 32 and 64 bit versions of W7 Pro SP1. It's a Laptop running W8.0 x64. The W7 x64 seems to run the best. Mainly I put W7 on so I could see Glass done the right way. I have Big Muscle Glass on W8. It's ok. But not in the same class as W7 Glass.

If W8 was still MBR I would probably put W7 x64 on for real. But there's too many unknowns to try it with no backup net access to bail me out of problems. The Laptop is the only machine for now.

MilesAhead, Jul 19, 2014
  11. bigseb Win User
    Lately I can't get anything to run Vbox...

Don't know why and too busy to figure it out...

bigseb, Jul 19, 2014
  12. gator Win User
    Some 2012/08 servers and some Linux distros like Kali, Backtrack etc to learn to be a pen tester since I plan on moving to security and ultimately try for my CISSP later down the road.

gator, Jul 25, 2014
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

Wonder if anybody noticed that there was NO MENU on Windows 3.11 -- so maybe Windows WILL be going back to its roots. !!! Nobody complained back then about any Start Menu (Lack of).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 26, 2014
  14. popeye Win User
    Mint to play and learn. XP for old games and other stuff.

popeye, Jul 28, 2014
  15. CountMike New Member
    Hmmm, nobody thought about stuff like that yet then ? But.... there was a perfect little file manager replaced by stupid "My computer".

CountMike, Aug 15, 2014
Thema:

1. What Operating systems are on your virtual machines and why? - Similar Threads - Operating systems are

2. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  3. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone a virtual machine on a different system: Hello,I want to make a 1:1 copy of some Virtual Machines from system A and import them on a different system B using Hyper-V. Some have Windows Server 2016, Some Windows 10. I was wondering, will the Product ID be the same on both virtual machines after import?How can I...
  4. Clone a virtual machine on a different system

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. what is error 0xc000025a on virtual machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    what is error 0xc000025a on virtual machine: i have no info for this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-error-0xc000025a-on-virtual-machine/44fd7d66-6486-4186-9615-953463aa78d8
  6. what is error 0xc000025a on virtual machine

what is error 0xc000025a on virtual machine: i have no info for this. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-error-0xc000025a-on-virtual-machine/44fd7d66-6486-4186-9615-953463aa78d8
  7. Not enough memory in the system to start virtual machine in hyper-v why

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Not enough memory in the system to start virtual machine in hyper-v why: I tried to fix every problems but its not working idk why pls helpIm using windows 11 but it will not work, I don't want to go back to windows 10 because I love feature...
  8. Not enough memory in the system to start virtual machine in hyper-v why

Not enough memory in the system to start virtual machine in hyper-v why: I tried to fix every problems but its not working idk why pls helpIm using windows 11 but it will not work, I don't want to go back to windows 10 because I love feature...
  9. Windows10 and Virtual 32 bit virtual operating system

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows10 and Virtual 32 bit virtual operating system: I need to have a virtual 32-bit operating system Windows inside my 64-bit Windows10. How to proceed? Thanks a lot! https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows10-and-virtual-32-bit-virtual-operating/6e123c8c-eb5d-4649-9ded-aa8433b639a9
  10. Your next operating system: Your datacenter

in Windows 10 News
    Your next operating system: Your datacenter: It's time to start thinking about a new operating system layer: your entire datacenter, from networking to compute to storage, it's all one big computer now. With a new Windows release now just around the corner, we're all thinking about desktop and mobile operating...