Windows 10: What should I do with a second hand SSD?

Discus and support What should I do with a second hand SSD? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have bought a second hand 250 GB Samsung 840 Pro from ebay. Is there anything specific I should do apart from format it? I'm planning to put it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by lx07, Jan 25, 2017.

1. lx07 Win User

What should I do with a second hand SSD?

I have bought a second hand 250 GB Samsung 840 Pro from ebay.

Is there anything specific I should do apart from format it?

I'm planning to put it in a Thinkpad X201 (which I also just got from ebay) but lots of people here talk about the Samsung Magicain software. I've tried looking but I'm not sure what it does.

Is this required or recommended or what? Will it help if I connect it via USB to my existing computer or do I have to wait until it is plugged into the SATA on the new laptop?

Sorry if I sound thick - it is my first SSD.

:)

2. what should I do with 701

Moved to Nseries and Symbian Smartphones

playfulangel14, Jan 25, 2017
  3. it says i need an email program? were do i get it from?

it tells me there is an email program needed that i dont have. were do i get it from

what do i do,,,, Jan 25, 2017
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there
    An excellent use for these is to create VM's on them -- connect to computer via SATA-->USB2 or 3 connector -- very cheap.

Even on USB2 a VM --even a Windows VM is quite responsive. Whu not for example learn a bit of Linux --install either VMware player (free) or VBOX (Free) and then install a Linux VM --very good learning tool and you can't break anything.

You could even use HYPER-V - but you need at least W10 PRO to run that and it's a bit more fiddly --especially if you are new to VM's.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 25, 2017
  5. Plankton Win User
    Plankton, Jan 25, 2017
  6. CountMike New Member
    Few ideas:
    You can get SATA to USB adapter. Something like this: Access Denied due to SSDs low power requirements it should work on any laptop and it doesn't require any other power supply.
    Or you can connect it with normal SATA cables in any desktop.
    That being a second hand one, I would (and always do) safely erase it first, you never know if some malware exists on it.

CountMike, Jan 25, 2017
  7. Barman58 Win User
    The drive will work as is just install it and then you can use the software to clone the OS to the SSD, ( not sure how many SATA connectors you'll have available in a Laptop so may need to use a USB connection or use this chance to do a complete fresh install).

A quick search in our Tutorials for SSD will show a few tips and tricks for new users *Wink

Barman58, Jan 25, 2017
  8. lx07 Win User

Sorry, to be clear, I'm planning to backup the GenuineLicense.xml and then take out the existing HDD and through it away.

I'm then going to clean install Windows 10 on my new (second hand) SSD as per the tutorials here.

My question was whether you had to do something with a previously used SSD or not rather than just format it. There are people who say you should format it in a certain way (block size and that sort of thing).

My backup question was "what is magician for" . @Plankton says "nothing really" which is as far as I can figure out correct.

9. Barman58 Win User
    Basic "rules" are don't try and use defrag tools (most are SSD aware these days and won't work anyway), set the system to use trim and consider moving any system temp locations to a spinner (more so as you may not know the usage history)

Barman58, Jan 25, 2017
  10. Plankton Win User
    The Magician software has a tool to correctly wipe the drive for a clean install. It's called secure erase.....see link and then see the 7th attachment in link. Which is what I would do to the new used SSD you have. Do it from another PC.

Quote: "Magician also enables users to Secure Erase their drive (which wipes the SSD in under a minute) and to over-provision to a recommended or user-selected percentage."

Then the tool "Rapid Mode" tool which a lot of my buddies with Samsung SSD's use....You may want to give it a shot.

Plankton, Jan 25, 2017
  11. swarfega Win User
    You can use the in built defrag tool as that does differentiate between HDs and SSDs and will perform the TRIM command for you on SSDs.

@lx07 one thing you could use the spare SSD for is as a cach drive. You could move the pagefile to it and many programs such as Spotify have an option to move their data.

swarfega, Jan 25, 2017
  12. lx07 Win User
    Yeah that is what I want. I want to make sure it is cleanish before I use it. I also remember people saying you had to align sector boundaries (although I'm not sure about that, that may not have applied to SSD).

I'm not tin foil hat guy I just want to take reasonable precautions and format it correctly in the first place.

If I don't have to do anything in particular then I'm happy with that as an answer.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

This is what I would do:

On the existing HDD/laptop, run showkey plus:
    ShowKeyPlus

Record any product keys provided.

Install the SSD into the laptop. Boot the laptop from the Windows 10 installation USB flash drive or DVD. When you get the first windows to install Windows press Shift + F10 to open a command prompt. In the command prompt run:

diskpart
    select disk 0
    clean
    exit
    exit

That will erase all the partitions on the SSD. Select the custom install option in Windows setup. Select the unallocated space to install to and click next and let Windows do it's thing. Enter the product key provided by Showkey plus to activate Windows.

Done.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What should I do with a second hand SSD? - Similar Threads - should second hand

2. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What should I do?: Windows Script Host Can not find script file C:\Users\HP\AppData\Local\Temp\aclui.dll.js".* Moved from Community Center. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-should-i-do/32224f23-b384-49f6-9603-9976f4adcbee
  3. What should I do?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What should I do?: My Whiteboard app is not working. Instead of loading my whiteboards, it projects this. It says ErrorPage. ExplanationError:Messages. Unknown ErrorIts reference id: bbf59c93-dbd1-4b0d-b4ab-c1c635d540e1App.AppVersion2023-10-05T03:54:09.200Z...
  4. What should i do?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What should i do?: hi there, I made my computer account with a work/school email and I have very important things that I need to access unfortunately I have forgotten my password and whenever I try to reset it I realize I made a typo in the email when I created it and so if it sends me an email...
  5. What should I do?

What should I do?: I need to update my pc from windows 8 to 8.1. I already downloaded the update. But my pc isn't getting updated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-should-i-do/3484290c-9722-4c20-a6e8-2bcb0f3f8d79
  6. What should I do?

What should I do?: Reciently I got a trojan virus Win32/Manson.A!a and I don't know how to uninstall it.The first thing I did was scanning my PC with Windows Defender, and it found that virus. I chose "remove" option image 1. I scanned my PC again just to confirm the virus had been deleted....
  7. What should i do ?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What should i do ?: I just did a restore and chose to keep my files. When it was finished, it booted into a screen asking you to select Windows 10 on Volume 3.There are two options, both of which are identical: Windows 10 on Volume 3.Regardless of whether I choose one of them manually or let it...
  8. What should i do?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What should i do?: Hi, recently i downloaded a program to get a free program photoshop CC 2015,while i was downloading the crack, there were notifications on my computer that it wasa virus/malicious program, although i dont know if it is or not, in the video where i downloading it there...
  9. What should I do when SSD is full and HDD is not?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What should I do when SSD is full and HDD is not?: Hi. So I have 500gb on my SSD and 1tb on my HDD and I'm pretty much at the max on my sdd while I have a ton more space on my tb. I'm a bit unsure on what to do at this point. Any suggestions? submitted by /u/pzfalcon [link] [comments]...
  10. What should I do to an SSD to be performing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What should I do to an SSD to be performing: Hello, I have appealed to the Microsoft Community to ask you to say that I bought two 1000 GB and another 237 GB SSD and please tell me what settings I need to make to have better performance longer life, optimization ect ...). Wait for response! A good day!...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to install a 2nd hand ssd drive

2. bought second hand ssd do i need to do anything to it