Windows 10: what to do after a clean install of windows 10

Discus and support what to do after a clean install of windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I installed this win 10 only few months ago but now I think it's getting some registry problems and infecting with some adware and spyware etc even... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Tsw88, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Tsw88 Win User

what to do after a clean install of windows 10

I installed this win 10 only few months ago but now I think it's getting some registry problems and infecting with some adware and spyware etc even though I have been always careful not to click on suspicious links and only downloading files from trusted sites.

I even always check the third-parties small freeware with VirusTotal before executing them.

Now I want to do a clean install of windows 10. What should I install immediately after the clean install to stop or minimize the risks of implanting any unwelcome software to my system??

Freeware is preferred.

:)

Tsw88, Apr 13, 2017
  2. JMK1965WT Win User

Looking to do a clean install of Windows 10 on a new SSD

Hello,

The laptop in question was upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1. I need to replace the internal HDD with an SSD.

I downloaded the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and created a bootable USB.

Once I insert the new SSD I will do a clean install (not upgrade) to Windows 10 (via the USB thumb drive), however, I don't have a Product Key.

How do I activate this new version of Windows 10?

Thanks,

Jean-Marc

JMK1965WT, Apr 13, 2017
  3. Greg Carmack - Windows MVP, Apr 13, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

The first thing I do is create my first disk image. Protection against many forms of disaster, including self-inflicted.

E.g. Macrium Reflect (free) + its boot disk + external storage for disk images.

Against ransomware etc:
    Cryptoprevent, Cybereason Ransomfree, Bitdefender Anti-Ransomware (all free)

Browser add-ons such as WOT indicate site trustworthiness. (Edge extensions are very limited - from Store only).

dalchina, Apr 13, 2017
  5. Tsw88 Win User
    Sorry
    1. What is disk image?
    2. How to create disk image?
    3. It's said a computer could infect malware immediately after connecting to the internet. Do I have to save every setup files first onto USB stick before cleaning up the system and re-installing everything again

Tsw88, Apr 20, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    what to do after a clean install of windows 10 [​IMG]

What is disk image? - Definition from WhatIs.com
    Disk image - Wikipedia

In practice the version we use is a compressed copy of the used part of one or more disks and/or partitions, written to external storage.

Here's my write-up on the value of disk imaging.

Creating disk images lets you restore Windows and all your imaged disks and partitions to a previous working state from compressed copies you have created and kept updated on external storage media, quickly and probably without technical help.

You can recover from:
    - a failed disk drive (restore to a new one)
    - ransomware (which encrypts your disk)
    - user error
    - unrecoverable problems from failed updates to problem programs
    - unbootable PC (hardware faults aside)

Images also act as a full backup- you can extract files too.

You can even use images to help you move more easily and quickly to a new PC.
    Can be used with Laplink software to transfer your build automatically to another PC

Imaging can even help you sleep at night knowing you have a second chance.

Many here recommend Macrium Reflect (free) as a good robust solution and more reliable than some others. It’s
    - more feature rich
    - more flexible
    - more reliable
    than Windows Backup and Restore system images.

It's well supported with videos, help and a responsive forum.

There are other such programs, free/commercial, some with simpler interfaces, but Macrium R is one of the most robust and reliable.

How long does it take?
    SSD+ USB3 - maybe 15 mins for the first system image, less thereafter
    HDD + USB2 - maybe 40-50 mins
    That’s with little personal data, few programs installed.
    - of course, depends how much you have on C:
    (You can and should image all your partitions and disks)

Once you've created your first image, keep it updated with e.g. differential imaging- which images just changes from the first image, more quickly, and creates a smaller image file.

You need a backup medium - say- twice as large as the total amount of data you are imaging to keep a reasonable number of differential images. This will vary dependent on the number of images you keep, so is only a rough practical guide.

Some comment that system restore isn't always reliable; if it works and solves the problem, great. But sometimes restores won't work or fail. And of course a restore point only covers a limited number of aspects of the system. That’s where disk imaging comes in.

(There's a tutorial on Macrium in the Tutorials section, and a couple of videos in the user videos section on this forum)
    Backup and Restore with Macrium Reflect - Windows 10 Backup Restore Tutorials
    Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members

dalchina, Apr 20, 2017
  7. AddRAM Win User
    Add your software, customize windows to how you want it and enjoy. *Smile

I don`t go crazy adding software to W10, only what I need/want because sooner or later you`re gonna clean install again anyway.

I just got a 960 Evo so I`ll be clean installing the CU when ever I get around to it.

Your plan should be basically the same each time you reinstall windows, and don`t forget to make disk images when you have windows how you want it *Wink

AddRAM, Apr 21, 2017
  8. Tsw88 Win User

do I have to purchase Avast full version or the default windows defender is good enough as internet security & fighting virus??/

Tsw88, Apr 21, 2017
  9. I'd say the free Avast is good enough actually. No need to pay if you don't have to. Or Windows Defender if you don't go to many "iffy" sites.

Get a decent Malware cleaner, Malwarebytes , SuperAntiSpyware etc. , Avast free or Defender and practice a little safe surfing and you should be ok.

indianacarnie, Apr 21, 2017
  10. Tsw88 Win User
    Free version of Avast is good enough?? Are you sure??

Malwarebytes? any free Malware cleaner?

Tsw88, Apr 21, 2017
  11. The difference between free and paid version is usually zero, nada. Paid version offers features, you do not need or can be replaced with free alternatives. When I install install Avast, I pick Minimal Setup.

Portable antimalware scanners are preferable, because malware can not block them.

10 Free and Portable Offline Antivirus Scanners • Raymond.CC

TairikuOkami, Apr 21, 2017
  12. SonicBlue Win User
    My rules for Winders=#1-Set connection as Metered Connection to halt any and all Update!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SonicBlue, Apr 21, 2017
  13. Caledonia Win User

Pray....?.

Caledonia, Apr 21, 2017
  14. flybynite Win User
    That is just crazy. Updates are what protect you from malware. They patch Windows so you do not get infected.

flybynite, Apr 21, 2017
  15. Tsw88 Win User
    winders=#1- ?????

Tsw88, Apr 21, 2017
Thema:

1. what to do after a clean install of windows 10 - Similar Threads - clean install

2. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  3. Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Persistent Virus Issue After Multiple Clean Installations: Hello,I unintentionally downloaded a virus that seems to be associated with XAMPP, causing my computer's applications, including Windows programs, to attempt connections to malicious IPs, which Malwarebytes has been blocking. Despite formatting my C: drive and deleting D:...
  4. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  5. pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install

pc was BSOD'ing everywhere couldnt reset windows, now i cant clean install: PC BSOD's while playing a game.PC continues to randomly while playing a game crash for weeks.restarting randomlyThought it might be related to some services, deleted gaming services.Restored all services as this didn't fix the issue.Noticed errors in Event Viewer; couldn't...
  6. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  7. How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.

How does microsoft know my email adress on a clean windows install.: I just did a clean windows install using a bootable windows usb, I cleaned up me ssd and installed afresh copy of windows 11, I created a local account and downloaded office setup.exe from edge WITHOUT LOGGING INTO ANYTHING after the installation was done, I opened powerpoint...
  8. Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install: I have an HP Victus Fb-0119AX laptop, and I just did a clean windows 11 install.If I press Fn+Esc key, the HP System Info doesn't come up. Also, before clean installing, pressing fn+f11 would disable touchpad. and while disabling the touchpad by pressing those 2 buttons, and...
  9. Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install

Fn+Esc not working on HP Victus after clean install: I have an HP Victus Fb-0119AX laptop, and I just did a clean windows 11 install.If I press Fn+Esc key, the HP System Info doesn't come up. Also, before clean installing, pressing fn+f11 would disable touchpad. and while disabling the touchpad by pressing those 2 buttons, and...
  10. BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD Errors even after clean install of Windows: I am having BSOD errors on my Dell Alienware M17 R5 laptop, i am installing manufacturers drivers but i think its driver related. I am adding my minidump files. Minidump.zip I tried using driver checker and i got BSOD errors hypervisor_error, pfn list corrupt and after trying...