Windows 10: What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license?

Discus and support What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Some time ago I purchased an OEM version of Windows 8 intended for system building (SKU: M17-8100), but never got around to using it, and the package... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by Bob Win10, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Bob Win10 Win User

What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license?

Some time ago I purchased an OEM version of Windows 8 intended for system building (SKU: M17-8100), but never got around to using it, and the package remains sealed. It is possible that I will use it before July 29, in which case the new installation would be eligible for a free upgrade, but perhaps not. If not, will I be able to exchange it for a corresponding Windows 10 product or obtain a refund?

:)

Bob Win10, Jul 20, 2016

2. A few questions regarding WINDOWS LICENCE KEYS and Windows 10 reservations

Do unused Windows licenses qualify for the free upgrade to Windows 10?

No. In order to qualify for the free upgrade, Windows 7 or Windows 8.1 with Update 1 must be installed and running. Unused licenses do not qualify.

How
    to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

When I upgrade a preinstalled (OEM) or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 license to Windows 10, does that license remain OEM or become a retail license?

If you upgrade from a OEM or retail version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 to the free Windows 10 upgrade this summer, the license is consumed into it. Because the free upgrade is derived from the base qualifying license, Windows 10 will carry that licensing
    too.

If you upgrade from a retail version, it carries the rights of a retail version.

If you upgrade from a OEM version, it carries the rights of a OEM version.

Full version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- Doesn't require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive

Upgrade version (Retail):

- Includes transfer rights to another computer.

- require a previous qualifying version of Windows.

- Expensive, but cheaper than full version

OEM :

OEM versions of Windows are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

What happens if I change my motherboard?

As it pertains to the OEM licenses this will invalidate the Windows 10 upgrade license because it will no longer have a previous base qualifying license which is required for the free upgrade. You will then have to purchase a full retail
    Windows 10 license. If the base qualifying license (Windows 7 or Windows 8.1) was a full retail version, then yes, you can transfer it.

From the Windows 10 end user license agreement:

b. Stand-alone software. If you acquired the software as stand-alone software (and also if you upgraded from software you acquired as stand-alone software), you may transfer the software to another device that belongs to you. You may also
    transfer the software to a device owned by someone else if (i) you are the first licensed user of the software and (ii) the new user agrees to the terms of this agreement. You may use the backup copy we allow you to make or the media that the software came
    on to transfer the software. Every time you transfer the software to a new device, you must remove the software from the prior device. You may not transfer the software to share licenses between devices.

17. TRANSFER TO ANOTHER COMPUTER. a. Software Other than Windows Anytime Upgrade. You may transfer the software and install it on another computer for your use. That computer becomes the licensed computer. You may not do so to share this license between
    computers.

Andre Da Costa, Jul 20, 2016
  3. Windows asks me to activate my account after upgrading my CPU and motherboard

I'm assuming Windows 8 came pre-installed on your computer and is an OEM version. The Microsift OEM licence limits the software to the device on which it was originally installed. By changing the motherboard you have what MS consider a new computer, therefore
    your OEM operating system is not valid on it. Harsh, but it's their software and their rules.

As for what you can do, if you want to continue with Windows you have to buy a new licence from Microsoft. It's probably not what you wanted to hear but you're not the first to be caught out like this, and you certainly won't be the last.

DamianDavis, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Mystere Win User

If it's still sealed, then perhaps.. it will depend on the retailer you bought it from, and what their return policy is. They may have a time limit on refunds.

Mystere, Jul 20, 2016
  5. Bob Win10 Win User
    I don't remember where it came from, nor do I have the receipt. Anyhow, suppose I assemble another system in a hurry, buying the parts locally to save time. Can I install Windows 10 directly from the boot disk I created, entering the serial numbers from the Windows 8 OEM disk to activate it? Or do I have to install Windows 8 first?

Bob Win10, Jul 20, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You should be able to active a clean Windows 10 install by manually entering the Windows 8 product key.

NavyLCDR, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What to do with unused Windows 8 OEM software/license? - Similar Threads - unused OEM software

2. Windows OEM License

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows OEM License: Good day.Hello.I have one SSD-OLD installed on PC-OLD with Windows OEM license activated previously. I'm building a PC-NEW, and will be re-using the SSD-OLD. Hence the question: 1 Can I install SSD-OLD into PC-NEW, boot it up and then activate with a new Windows OEM license?2...
  3. OEM software

in Windows 10 Gaming
    OEM software: I found many Microsoft Windows XP, how can I check if it is usable, it is possible to upgrade to upgrade it to new version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-software/51661942-870f-4de8-afd4-697a7390f361
  4. OEM software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    OEM software: I found many Microsoft Windows XP, how can I check if it is usable, it is possible to upgrade to upgrade it to new version? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-software/51661942-870f-4de8-afd4-697a7390f361
  5. Can I buy a windows 11 OEM license to install in a equipment with windows 8 OEM?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can I buy a windows 11 OEM license to install in a equipment with windows 8 OEM?: Hi, I would like to know if it is possible and legal to buy a windows 11 license OEM, to sustitute a 8.1 OEM windows license, because its necesary to actualize the software but I can´t afford a new equipment.Thanks for the answer!...
  6. Can I buy a windows 11 OEM license to install in a equipment with windows 8 OEM?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Can I buy a windows 11 OEM license to install in a equipment with windows 8 OEM?: Hi, I would like to know if it is possible and legal to buy a windows 11 license OEM, to sustitute a 8.1 OEM windows license, because its necesary to actualize the software but I can´t afford a new equipment.Thanks for the answer!...
  7. OEM windows licensing

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    OEM windows licensing: who do we talk to in Microsoft for windows licensing for laptop manufacturer OEM? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/oem-windows-licensing/b4f035a1-2463-4285-a7dc-9ee516eb352e
  8. Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer

Unused Windows 10 OEM license transfer: Hi, it's a very particular question, I have an OEM license that hasn't been used and I would like to use it on another PC other than that which it was intended for. It has never been activated. My understanding is that OEM licenses can be resold to any PC, until they are...
  9. Windows OEM Licenses

Windows OEM Licenses: I am starting a business as a system integrator and I want to buy OEM windows 10 licenses from Microsoft and I was wondering if anyone knew how to do that. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-oem-licenses/4ed0a0a4-ba10-4c25-b96f-eaabd1ef1052"
  10. Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?

in Windows 10 Support
    Update to 10 for unused 7/8 licenses?: Read update FAQ, but... Bought 4 Win8 licenses when Win8 was released. Tried 1 (as Win8.1) but keep getting BSOD when my hdd would "sleep", so bailed (without activation?) and bought Win7. I also bought an additional Win7 license then, "just in case". What should be the...