Windows 10: What to expect from windows 10 on a low end pc?

Discus and support What to expect from windows 10 on a low end pc? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey guyz im new to the forum! I enjoy windows 10, I upgraded my pc from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and It had been fantastic (with the exception of a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Dragonflow, Aug 15, 2015.

1. What to expect from windows 10 on a low end pc?

Hey guyz im new to the forum!
    I enjoy windows 10, I upgraded my pc from windows 8.1 to windows 10, and It had been fantastic (with the exception of a few bugs, like Cortana and search bar, but that's not the problem here) . My girlfriends also wants windows 10, she likes its features and looks and she is crazy about all apps like facebook and viber, her pc started notifing her that she can upgrade to windows 10, I told her to wait till we get more information before we do anything stupid *Smile).
    Her pc has an AMD processor dual core 2.3 ghz, 2.5 gb of ram, and a really old NVidia gforce 5500 video card. It has windows 7 installed now, works fine, no problems with it. But I was wondering if windows 10 will work better on this pc or work at least at the same level of performance as windows 7 x32 home edition. Cuz it would be bad to miss this opportunity to upgrade when we both paid for our OS.
    The only problem I think of regarding her old pc , is missing drivers, right now it has all necessary drivers and programs, but will windows 10 keep all drivers and programs while upgrading from windows 7; as it did to me ? (when I upgraded to win 10, I had all my programs drivers and files saved, I was amazed to see that I lost practically nothing) .

Sorry for poor English and sorry if I posted in the wrong place. thank you in advance for reading or replying to my post.

:)

Dragonflow, Aug 15, 2015

2. extraordinarily slow

It's a very low end Android based device, what did you expect and what are you comparing it to?

Paul van der Heu, Aug 15, 2015
  3. What batterylife to expect from a new N900?

no it's not acceptable, but i don't think it's faulty, battery experience fluctuates massively. v3 is dire, 2.2010.51 was better. how much browsing and other use do you do?

richwhite---01, Aug 15, 2015
  4. tcman50 Win User

What to expect from windows 10 on a low end pc?

Windows 10 checks for hardware compatibility before it installs itself, if her pc passes the test, then she should be fine.

On my highest spec computer.. to me windows 10 runs faster than windows 8.1 did.

There have been some reports that on lower end laptops, at the moment anyway, windows 10 might not be a good idea.

Hope something helps.

TC *Smile

tcman50, Aug 15, 2015
  5. From what I've seen, it's consistently faster than whatever was installed before. Sometimes not by much, but it's still faster.

FuturDreamz, Aug 15, 2015
  6. satchmo Win User
    If her PC can run Windows 7, it can do Windows 10.

satchmo, Aug 15, 2015
  7. ramram55 Win User
    By all means go for it. I have a pc from vista days, after windows 10 upgrade, ran as fast as the winds blow, only upgrade to the hardware is SSD drive. Why wait ? Make sure you have a back up. You girlfriend will love you more.*Biggrin

ramram55, Aug 15, 2015
  8. tcman50 Win User

Can one be loved too much? *sarc

tcman50, Aug 15, 2015
  9. Before doing the upgrade, I'd highly suggest uninstalling any antivirus to avoid conflict (Windows is supposed to do this on its own, but often doesn't).
    After the upgrade you may need to uninstall, reboot and reinstall any video drivers.
    And don't be shocked if issues arise that require you to do a clean install (always recommended anyhow), to get a stable OS.

fracking4oil, Aug 15, 2015
  10. Keep her expectations very low.
    It's common sense that the older the gear, the more it will struggle to keep her amused.

Women tend to like all the fancy gizmos and slow loading websites and they'll install absolutely everything that pops up regardless if they know what it does! Snap-chat camera apps, Let's play make up salon trial chase the candy games, malware, trickware, crapware... they love it! They also love random malware browser start pages and they can't get enough tool bars either! Who needs space to look at a web page when there's lots of shiny buttons to click on.

Upgrade her computer, make yourself the admin and give her an account to log into.
    There's no need to tell her what you're doing, just keep the computer safe.

Better still, buy her a new computer.

teachermark, Aug 15, 2015
  11. rezpower Win User
    Sorry to sound negative after all this positive feedback but I do not expect you to have very good performance after the upgrade.
    I didn't with a very high end laptop. Once I upgraded I had to do a clean install and then I was able to experience the real windows 10 which is amazingly fast and stable. So if you know how to do it, I would advise to make a clean install after the upgrade to get the best.

rezpower, Aug 15, 2015
  12. a new computer will be bought soon, and I have trained my girl *Smile) jk, she knows how to handle websites adds and malware.
    And thx for the feedback guyz, don't worry I know all about antivirus and drivers, know for sure that NVidia has a windows 10 version of driver, was wondering if the computer would keep up with win 10. and if its crappy I will go for a clean install, that's the best way I know, but i'll try upgrade first so I wont delete any of her files. for me upgrade worked beautifully I mean its really fast now, ms edge I love the most, cause after the upgrade I clicked on chrome... waiting and waiting... then click on edge, edge pops up instantly, after a while chrome shows up loading*Smile) .
    And about antivirus I use avast, and I didn't uninstall avast before upgrade because I forgot, but avast is working great no problems with it.
    She has windows defender that came preinstalled i think, would i need to uninstall that if it is from ms?

Dragonflow, Aug 15, 2015
  13. MrBeaker Win User

My PC seems much faster with 10 than 8.1. Boot up is much faster and launching Office apps is surprisingly faster too.

MrBeaker, Aug 15, 2015
  14. Rezpower did you try clean up disk local C to get rig of windows.old, my friend upgraded and said that it was crappy i deleted windows.old for him and it worked fine. although he had like 20gb free space C .. pc was acting lice C drive was full.

Dragonflow, Aug 15, 2015
  15. gator2013 Win User
    Conceptually that may be true but it is far from reality.

All one has to do is browse this form and check the broad array of problems after the transition to W10 and some problems have been crippling. I dare say that the majority of these users received the "You Are Good To Go" message". Sure, while W10 may work on any particular system it remains to be seen how well it works. There are too many factors with different operating systems and different PC configurations to consider and there are different methods of installing W10 that can possibly make a huge difference. In my particular situation I received the "Good To Go" message on both my PC's and on 7/29 I upgraded my less important system first and Yes, it worked but tons of errors that have yet to be resolved but for the most part everything worked and that's impressive. Fortunately just hours before I was going to attempt the upgrade on my primary PC I determined and verified through various channels that critical aspects of my hardware configuration were not yet compatible with W10 and would be inoperable with W10 yet I had the "Good To Go" message.

At this point in time I would not recommend the upgrade to W10 at this time on a PC that is very important to your daily routine unless the user has good backup plan to return to your previous OS (preferably a system image) if necessary. Again, just browse this forum, there are plenty of problems with the upgrade. Yes, there are many happy campers but it is still a bit of Roll the Dice and Take Your Chances. Hope for the best but plan for the worst.

Additionally, I have yet to see in writing from MS the recommendation to uninstall your current anti-virus software prior to the upgrade. I did not do so on the PC I upgraded and it did not cause any problems whatsoever.

Do your due diligence, have a good backup plan and be prepared to spend some time sorting out minor issues and go for it. This is NOT your typical Windows Update!

gator2013, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. What to expect from windows 10 on a low end pc? - Similar Threads - expect low end

2. What to expect from Windows 11 23H2?

in Windows 10 News
    What to expect from Windows 11 23H2?: Windows 11 23H2 is a major update that includes a number of new features and improvements. These new features are designed to make Windows 11 more user-friendly, efficient, and secure. Let's take a look at the update expected to arrive this fall. What's new on Windows 11...
  3. Gaming windows for low end pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Gaming windows for low end pc: Please Recommend me best version of Windows for Gaming...Like I have Lenovo All in one desktop PC Lenovo C320Pentium dual core processorI had upgraded RAM6GB so that I don't get fadupBut I want recommendations for GamingPlease Recommend me best version of Windows for Gaming....
  4. Gaming windows for low end pc

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Gaming windows for low end pc: Please Recommend me best version of Windows for Gaming...Like I have Lenovo All in one desktop PC Lenovo C320Pentium dual core processorI had upgraded RAM6GB so that I don't get fadupBut I want recommendations for GamingPlease Recommend me best version of Windows for Gaming....
  5. custom windows recomendation for my low end pc

in Windows 10 Gaming
    custom windows recomendation for my low end pc: hello guys, i'm thinking about putting a custom windows and optimized for games on my lenovo thinkpad t420 notebook, in my case, i did some ssd and ram upgrades, its specs are: Intel Core I5 2520M Intel HD Graphics 3000 8GB ram memory and actually im in stock windows with...
  6. low end slow pc

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    low end slow pc: i use windows 10/7 and linux in one 2010 LOW END pc which have 3 GB ram with 2.50 GHZ old dual core CPU and its slow how to improve the speed of my pc win 7 and linux works very well but windows 10 is very slow sometime the apps does not responds very well it takes some time...
  7. What to expect from Windows 10 20H2 feature update

in Windows 10 News
    What to expect from Windows 10 20H2 feature update: Microsoft is rolling out the Windows 10 May 2020 Update on May 28. After May 2020 Update, Microsoft is planning to release another feature update codenamed ’20H2′, which is expected to start rolling out to mainstream in the fall. Windows 10 20H2 update is expected to be a...
  8. Best OS for a low end pc.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Best OS for a low end pc.: i have a computer that is currently running windows 10 home. And it's pretty bad. So I need to know what windows OS is best for it. PC SPECS: Intel R Celeron R CPU N3050 @ 1.60 GHZ 4G of ram 64 bit....
  9. Can my low end pc run on the windows 10

Can my low end pc run on the windows 10: Hi. For the longest time i wanted to upgrade to windows 10, but i dont know if my pc can run it. Spets: prossesor: intel pentium 4 3.40 ghz graphics card:Nvidia GeForce 210 Ram: 2,50 gb Thanks!...
  10. Perfomance of Windows 10 on low end pc

Perfomance of Windows 10 on low end pc: I have a PC with core 2 duo e8400 CPU, 4gb ram, gt1030 gpu and win 10 installed. It is quite slow on my PC. Is it okay to use this OS or should I downgrade to win 8.1 or win7 ? If yes how can i do that without losing any of my files assuming that my pc is assembled and didn't...