Windows 10: What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files?

Discus and support What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I was wondering if a superscript '2' can be entered into a .txt file with Unicode encoding. What are the special symbols that CAN be used and what... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Levee44, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Levee44 Win User

What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files?

I was wondering if a superscript '2' can be entered into a .txt file with Unicode encoding.

What are the special symbols that CAN be used and what are their Alt+numeric keyboard codes? Or how can I enter them?

Thank you very much in advance!

:)

Levee44, Mar 12, 2017

2. I have a query wherein cust is unable to type in chinese tradition language on the notepad.

All the Txt files are copied from the old win7 laptop to the new win10.

Only issue is when he opens the notepad the character appears puzzled. He needs to convert the ANSI file to Unicode in order to appear it properly.

Since the characters are puzzled its not been tried to copy I to the Microsoft word.

The user has around 1000's of txt file and facing this issue.

The new character what he types on word or outlook has no issues and the issue is noticed only on the notepad.

leenakumari, Mar 12, 2017
  3. Entegy Win User
    HTC TROPHY (MANGO)

The Greek alphabet uses Unicode characters. In a text message, Unicode takes two bytes as opposed to the Latin character set that uses only one byte. Therefore, there is less space to type in and SMS with Unicode characters can only take 70 characters
    (byte) before a new SMS is needed.

Entegy, Mar 12, 2017
  4. lx07 Win User

Yes you can save .txt as Unicode. For example X².txt

I don't think you can enter them in notepad (or Notepad++) using 00B2 Alt X (which is ²) although it works in Word.

You can use the built in windows program Character Map and copy/paste from the clipboard though into Notepad. See Insert ASCII or Unicode Latin-based symbols and characters - Office Support

When you save change the encoding to Unicode (you can make the filename Unicode also if you save to NTFS)

Here are the unicode characters supported by the Consolas font but I think copy paste from Character Map is easier personally.

5. Levee44 Win User
    Thank you for your answer. It turns out every Unicode charater can be entered into a simple .txt file with Notepad.
    Unfortunately, though, you have to use the Character Map, the codes don't work.

Levee44, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What Unicode characters can be used in Win .txt files? - Similar Threads - Unicode characters used

2. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  3. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.: Windows Notepad does not display Japanese characters. They are simply hidden.The .txt files in OneDrive are correctly displayed on other computers. This problem does not occur for other files and applications such as File Explorer, .odt files, and email messages. Further,...
  4. Japanese characters in .txt files are hidden and not displayed.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Using Unicode directional formatting characters in file names

Using Unicode directional formatting characters in file names: The Unicode standard is constantly being updated. The latest version 13.0 was released in March 2020. Please note that often in new versions of Unicode standard not only new characters are added, but also changes occur in various algorithms that are an integral part of the...
  6. Unicode characters in console

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Unicode characters in console: Hi, I recently switched from Mac OSX to Windows 10 and installed WSL + Debian 10; my default shell is zsh and using ohmyzsh to improve the UX of the shell. I just noticed that unicode characters are not supported and I'm wondering if there is a way to fix this. Thanks....
  7. Unicode characters showing problem.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Unicode characters showing problem.: Hello, When I type Bangla fonts, characters are showing just as??????? question marks, I've added Bangla language from Language settings, necessary fonts are also already installed. Still the problem is the same. Some icons of windows are also showing as weired...
  8. Fonts/Unicode Characters

Fonts/Unicode Characters: So I was deleting some preinstalled fonts like Microsoft fonts and things like Arial Bold. The reason I did this is because there are a lot of preinstalled fonts and I'm always downloading new fonts for creative purposes. I deleted a bunch of these fonts so that it would be...
  9. Type a Unicode Character

in Windows 10 Support
    Type a Unicode Character: Hello, I am using Win 10 version 2004 and build 19041.388. If I try to enter a Unicode character via the method Alt + <hex number>, then I do get a character but it is the wrong one. For example if I enter 2212 it give a 'n' with a squiggle on top whereas it should return...
  10. Asian characters become unicode ���

Asian characters become unicode ���: Sometimes when I download/install programs that's originally written in Chinese, folder names and the text in the installer just show up as ����� and I can't read anything. When I play older songs on itunes, previously correctly named songs, with correct artists etc. all...