Windows 10: What Version might be right for me

Discus and support What Version might be right for me in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; What version of Windows 10 might be right for me. Right now I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit I built my rig to process photos, videos and slide shows... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BillS22, May 15, 2015.

1. BillS22 Win User

What Version might be right for me

What version of Windows 10 might be right for me.
    Right now I'm running Win 7 Pro 64bit

I built my rig to process photos, videos and slide shows

CPU- i5 3.9Ghz
    RAM - 16GB
    Boot Drive C:\ - SSD 500GB - for OS and APPS
    Second Drive D:\ - 3TB HHD - for work, files and photos
    Video Card - Nvidia GT 640

:)

BillS22, May 15, 2015
  2. JonettO Win User

Window 10 - What might be wrong

Hi,

I took some time to read through some of the other posts on Windows 10 problems in general that were on this website. One of them had some of the same problems that I had. They rebooted their system using safe mode and then rebooted again in the normal
    fashion.

I did that and everything is fine now. The posting did say that their problem started with an update to Windows 10. Also, they had to do this every once in awhile after that. I suppose that went away with the next update to Windows 10.

Stay tuned.

JonettO, May 15, 2015
  3. Window 10 - What might be wrong

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will guide you in the right direction.

To assist you better please provide few details.

• What is the make and model of the system?

• When you say “My desktop is not normal” do you get any error message/ Error code?

• What happens when you try to open the app?

• Is the issue particular to any app?
    If you face any issue with the Apps I suggest you to perform the Windows app troubleshooter and check.

The app troubleshooter will automatically notify you if there’s a problem with an app and try to fix the problem. If you continue experiencing problems with an app, try running the
    Apps troubleshooter. This tool can automatically identify and fix
    some problems with apps.

Refer the link below and check if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/run-the-troubleshooter-for-windows-apps

Hope this would help. If issue still persists post back with current status of your computer and result of the proposed suggestion, we will be happy to assist you.

Suvarna Govinda, May 15, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

I think if you have pro now you should go for the pro edition of Win10. It's likely the one you will get when you get your free copy with your license.

BunnyJ, May 15, 2015
  5. BillS22 Win User
    Thanks.
    I heard Win 10 automatically configures systems with a SSD and HHD for best performance.
    If that's true I look forward to see what Microsoft does.

BillS22, May 15, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    MS did post a blog and it said that when you turn in your license to get a copy/license of Win10 the pro users would get a pro version of Win10.

BunnyJ, May 15, 2015
  7. meebers Win User
    Quoting you, "when you turn in your license" not sure what that means. If MS wants a valid license key that you can supply (non oem) that would be great, but if MS is going to "take" the license key on the machine that you are currently running is a different situation for me. I am not "turning in" my current machine. The only alternative if this is true is to just flat out buy another license. Don't think MS mentioned any $$ yet? I have a couple of un-used keys from a tech net down load, probably they would not qualify?

meebers, May 16, 2015
  8. What Version might be right for me

At the moment, IMHO, its all just surmising and guessing what's actually going to happen with the free upgrade. Microsoft is just saying enough to make you wonder how it will all unfold. I have yet to see Microsoft state that you will have to surrender a license/product code to get the free upgrade. It wouldn't surprise me if they did, but its not etched in stone yet.

alphanumeric, May 16, 2015
  9. Gary Win User
    I upgraded from windows 7 to Build 10074. Before I upgraded I cloned my Hard Drive containing Windows 7. Well I got tired of waiting for a new build so I Got out that cloned Windows 7 Hard Drive and then Formatted the Windows 10 Drive and using Macrium Reflect cloned the Windows 7 Drive to the Drive that I had 10 on. All is well, my license is still intact and it is activated. Now MS said that this can be done but this will probably only work with the Insiders Preview Edition and not the released version of Windows 10. My next upgrade will be to the final version although I may install another build on a different drive if there ever is one.

10. As you've surmised, the tech preview isn't anything to go by. Microsoft isn't going to kill your current install just because you had a look see. It's time bombed to quit after a certain date anyway.

What is your current Windows 7 install? Factory OEM, OEM system builder, or Retail?

11. Gary Win User
    I built it with a retail Win 7 Pro license

12. Ok, was just wondering. That license they could easily take from you if they were so inclined. A factory OEM install not so much, if at all. Factory OEM Windows 7 installs activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS. They don't activate online and all use a common OEM key issued to that manufacturer. They can't block that key.

13. Gary Win User

I thought that OEM's did not qualify for the upgrade??

14. caperjack Win User
    caperjack, May 16, 2015
  15. Not sure what you mean? I haven't seen it mentioned where its only open to people with a Retail version installed? There won't be too many of those. Most people that are running 7 and 8/8.1 have factory OEM installs.

Thema:

1. What Version might be right for me - Similar Threads - Version might right

2. What might be the problem?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What might be the problem?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/OriginalTrumPutin [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/m1w0dh/what_might_be_the_problem/
  3. What issue might this be?

What issue might this be?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/somerandomguy576 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/j5uiyd/what_issue_might_this_be/
  4. Could anyone please help me with what programme this might be? Happens frequently at shut...

Could anyone please help me with what programme this might be? Happens frequently at shut...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/FistofPie [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/gpz2ky/could_anyone_please_help_me_with_what_programme/
  5. What version of Unicode does the latest version of Windows have right now?

What version of Unicode does the latest version of Windows have right now?: I'm currently running build 1909 which is currently the latest version of Windows right now but am unsure of what version of Unicode they're currently using. Is this Unicode version 12.0? Thank you. submitted by /u/yayoshorti [link] [comments]...
  6. What might have happened?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What might have happened?: I've just got to my PC in the morning, to update an Excel spreadsheet and its format looks nothing like it did when I saved it yesterday morning. A panel popped up "Support for Excel 2010 is ending" but I don't want to update, so I closed it. Then the trouble started. When...
  7. Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated: Why am I getting the pop up, "Your Version of Flash Player might be outdated.... When I get it the address bar has info that its' from a site called 'unifiedinstaller.com . Please help me stop it and if it's connected to something that can be uninstalled on my system. I'm...
  8. What on earth is " This advertised application will not be installed because it might be...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    What on earth is " This advertised application will not be installed because it might be...: Hi I upgraded my Samsung notebook from Windows 8.1 to 10 around the time Samsung stopped making notebooks/PCs, meaning for most types made around that time or before, there are no Windows 10 software updates of their software. The gamble however worked and Windows 10...
  9. your current version of windows might be installed in an unsupported

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    your current version of windows might be installed in an unsupported: Getting the following trying to update my Win 10 Pro X64 VM to th2. [img] I have not relocated anything on this VM, all is stock standard as installed. Program files directory entries are default, unchanged. Ditto for all User directories. [img] I running the...
  10. A series of recent problems - what might be causing them?

in Windows 10 Support
    A series of recent problems - what might be causing them?: I'll try to keep this brief, since the full version would be way too long, but strange things have been going on with my computer lately. First, some background: Computer: Hewlett Packard Pavilion Elite HPE-112y (5 or 6 years old now, a home system) Original Operating...