Windows 10: What will happen on Jan 20, 2016?

Discus and support What will happen on Jan 20, 2016? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; [img] What is this screen trying to tell me? Am I activated for good? Or not? And where did the date of Jan 20, 2016 come from anyway? PS: My... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bbinnard, Aug 15, 2015.

1. bbinnard Win User

What will happen on Jan 20, 2016?

What will happen on Jan 20, 2016? [​IMG]

What is this screen trying to tell me? Am I activated for good? Or not? And where did the date of Jan 20, 2016 come from anyway?

PS: My WIn10 is a clean install of Build 10240.

:)

bbinnard, Aug 15, 2015

2. 5800XM - Call volume issue - Any one got it resolved ?

Start by having them look at this thread or have them Google: 5800XM ear piece repair and see what happens.
    Message Edited by on 27-Jan-2009 08:20 PM

sapporobaby, Aug 15, 2015
  3. What Will Happen to my data on my pc ?

********** original title *********** Windows 10

What Will Happen to my data on my pc ?

Mina Mamdouh_97, Aug 15, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

Did you do an upgrade over a valid copy of WIn7/Win8.1 first?? You will need to do that first in order to perform a clean instillation or you will not be able to activate Win10.

And no.. your not activate at this time.

Jeff

BunnyJ, Aug 15, 2015
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    If his Windows is not activated then why does his screenshot say that it is? His Windows most certainly is activated - it just expires in January, 2016 because he used an insider preview key to install it with.

A few things to try. Make sure you have the Insider Preview key written down you used to install it with. Open an elevated command prompt ("run as administrator" command prompt).

Enter slmgr /upk - that will remove the insider product key and cause Windows to deactivate.
    Enter slmgr /ato - that will cause Windows to attempt to activate without a product key, probably won't work but worth a try.
    If that does work - enter slmgr /xpr - if it says permanently activated you are good to go. STOP and enjoy Windows 10!
    If that does not work - enter slmgr /ipk VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
    That will put the generic upgrade product key in.
    Enter slmgr /ato - again probably won't work, but worth a try. If it does work, then slmgr /xpr - if it says permanently activated, you are good to go!
    If none of that works then:
    slmgr /upk, slmgr /ipk [insert insider preview key here], slmgr /ato - to get back to your temporary activation.

Either wait to see if a new insider build is available for Jan, 2016 or go back and install a Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 and upgrade to free Windows 10 from that.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    If that's the case it might de-activate on that date. When doing a clean instillation you don't enter any key no matter how many times you're prompted. In my case I was prompted 3 times and in the end it activated. Keep in mind I did an upgrade over 8.1 and it activated and then I did a clean instillation.

BunnyJ, Aug 15, 2015
  7. bbinnard Win User
    NavyLCDR:

Yes, you are correct - I did use the INsider key to activate my Win10 install ofbuild 10240.

And no, I did not do an upgrade of my Win7.1 system. Instead I downloaded the 10240 ISO file and did a clean install on a brand new SSD boot drive. Then I simply swapped out my old Win7.1 drive for the new one.

My understanding was that this was the correct way to get a legit WIn10 clean install. Did I miss something? What should I do prior to Jan 2016 to keep my Win10 activated?

bbinnard, Aug 15, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

If you just recently did the clean instillation then the activation server is down for the preview builds. The way to get a clean install of Win10 RTM is to upgrade from either 7 or 8.1 and then do the install.

At that point you can chose to stay in the insider program or not.

BunnyJ, Aug 15, 2015
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    I added to my post #3.

Now, if you have your old Win7 drive still - clone it to the SSD boot drive, make sure that boots OK. When you boot from the SSD drive, I would have it as the only drive installed. Make sure Windows 7 is activated. Then upgrade that to Windows 10.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    This^^

BunnyJ, Aug 15, 2015
  11. Superfly Win User
    That is a KMS 6 month activation notice and has nothing to do with Insiders evaluation period.
    Google -T83GX (it's a volume license key), the winaero site has full details.

Superfly, Aug 15, 2015
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Thank you for the correction.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  13. bbinnard Win User

But I do not want to upgrade my Win7.1 system to Win10. My WIn7.1 system (the OS part of it) is more than 5 years old and badly bloated. I needed to do a clean install of Win 10, which is what I did.

At the time I did it MS had published an Insider activation code that worked OK. My Win10 has always said it was activated. Subesequent to my installation MS disallowed the Insider activation code to work. Apparently now, in order to do a clean install, you have to first upgrade your current system, download the Win 10 ISO file, do a clean install of that (presumably on top of what you just upgraded), and then re-enter your old Win7 activation code.

This seems like a laborious and risky procedure to me.

For some reason I just noticed the Jan 20, 2016 date - maybe it wasn't there before.

At any rate, is there a way to determine what my status really is? Does anyone know what is supposed to happen on Jan 20, 2016? Am I the only person seeing this message?

Edit:

Aha! slmgr /xpr says "Volume activation will expire 1/20/2016 7:19:02 AM

So I have a timebomb waiting to explode.

Wonderful.

bbinnard, Aug 15, 2015
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    You can do a clean install of Windows 10. You just have to do the upgrade first.

1. Go back to Windows 7: either just use the old drive, clone the Windows 7 to the new disk, or install Windows 7 clean.
    2. Make sure Windows 7 is activated.
    3. Upgrade the Windows 7 to Windows 10. Make sure the upgrade is activated.
    4. Do a clean install of Windows 10 and skip entering product keys - do not enter one. The clean install will permanently activate.

or

Buy a retail product key and on the activation screen change your product key to it.

You will not re-enter your old Windows 7 product key. You will get a new, permanent activation stored on Microsoft Activation Servers based upon the hardware configuration - not a product key. As long as you re-install Windows 10 on the same major hardware configuration (same motherboard, same CPU), it will retrieve the activation from the activation servers without a product key.

NavyLCDR, Aug 15, 2015
  15. bbinnard Win User
    LCDR:

What a nightmare. I tried doing this:

slmgr /ipk VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

That put my system into Notification Mode. I'm not sure what this is, but it must be bad.

So I'll go back and find the Insider key I used before and try to put that back.

bbinnard, Aug 15, 2015
Thema:

1. What will happen on Jan 20, 2016? - Similar Threads - happen Jan 2016

2. What happened?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happened?: Why is it these days that every other forced update has a real chance of making my computer unable to boot up? I've had this happen twice. Do you guys still do QA at all so you can find out an update will destroy a Windows PC before you force it to take it?I really don't like...
  3. What is happening?

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    What is happening?: I don't understand what this is... Yes I have a Windows 11 theme because of the TPM requirement. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-happening/6914bf8b-1e81-4225-9efa-0995ce8f45ca
  4. Microsoft Launcher beta 6.210102.0.940491 version for Android Jan. 20

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Launcher beta 6.210102.0.940491 version for Android Jan. 20: With Microsoft Launcher provides a new home screen experience that allows you to seamlessly transition between your Android phone and your PC. Microsoft Launcher makes it easy to continue viewing photos or documents on your PC, empowering you to be more productive across all...
  5. What is happening?!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What is happening?!: Idk what happening! I got a raspi4 on the network a few days ago and it worked fine. I turned it off, came back a day later and had no service. I've done everything to get it up and running again. The real problem is, nothing is working now. I dont know of any of it OS...
  6. What happened?

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    What happened?: Hello everyone, After a contact with a potential scam from widget.rave.office.net, i asked for help for something else and since that time i reinstalled windows 10 but now the onedrive icon is full grey instead of being all white like before. Is there a simple way to...
  7. What Happened?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What Happened?: This morning I went to copy the contents of my Saved Folders from my computer to my external hard drive for long-term storage. Up until this morning, my Downloads Folder's contents was arranged like this a screenshot from my External Hard Drive: [ATTACH] This morning,...
  8. what happened?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    what happened?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/nerdedg0y [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/eh6yfs/what_happened/
  9. Outlook 2016, What happens to email when you delete an account?

in Browsers and Email
    Outlook 2016, What happens to email when you delete an account?: Hello, We are getting ready to change internet service providers and we will be discontinuing an email address with which we have been receiving POP3 mail for many years. We are already using our new email address, which is a gmail address, with Outlook, and that is an...
  10. What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?

in Windows 10 Support
    What happens with my retail licenses after July 29, 2016 ?: I have both Windows 7 and 8.x retail licenses. They have now been used up by upgrading to Windows 10 (both as hosts and as vm's). A few questions: 1) Where can I find Microsoft information as to what will happen with these licenses after July 29, 2016, i.e. after the...