Windows 10: What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

Discus and support What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Suppose you have a GPO that sets the "allow log on locally" setting.What would happen if you removed this GPO from a device?Would the PC end up with... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Rob Torquemada, Dec 2, 2023.

1. What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

Suppose you have a GPO that sets the "allow log on locally" setting.What would happen if you removed this GPO from a device?Would the PC end up with nothing in the "allow log on locally" setting, or would it just revert back to default values?

:)

Rob Torquemada, Dec 2, 2023

2. How to apply GPO to specific server in SERVERS OU?

• Servers OU - contains all servers, including server1. Main OU for applying GPOs on servers. So, shifting server1 to another OU isn't an option for me.
    • Users OU - Contains all users.

I want to apply a GPO to server1, that will run a logon script when users log in to it. Others servers should not be affected.

How to do it?

What I have done.

- Created GPO, set user Logon script, enabled loopback policy with the merge option in Computer Configuration.

- Applied the GPO to Servers OU.

- Set the security filtering, and added server1, given permissions are Read, Apply GPO.

- Removed Authenticated users.

What is wrong here?

Jeet khinde, Dec 2, 2023
  3. Cja123 Win User
    Server 2003 GPO questions

Hello,
    I am working on a GPO in Microsoft Server 2003 for the majority of domain users here at my work and I am having difficulties achieving the results I need.

Details:
    I would like to disable all programs on the domain user account except a select few. I have accomplished this through enabling "Only allow specific Windows applications to run" or something of that like in the GPO. I then added the programs I want the domain user to be able to run and it automatically excludes the rest. This worked beautifully however, I do want them to have access to a few installer files on our network drive but when I attempt to open the installer packages, I get a restriction error. More precisely, I get the same error that comes up when I try to open any other applications that are not included in the "Only allow specific Windows applications to run" field. I have scoured the GPO for about a day now and enabled every option I could think of that may allow these installations to run but I have not succeeded in finding it. Anyone have any advice?
    Notes:
    I have added the account I am monitoring through the GPO as an administrator on each local machine with my domain specified in the domain field.

I am also wondering if there is a setting which allows an admin to bypass the GPO while logged in as the domain user that is governed by said GPO by some form of authentication?

Let me know if any other information is needed. I will provide it as promptly as possible.

Thanks in advance for the help! *Toast :toast:

Cja123, Dec 2, 2023
  4. Cja123 Win User

What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

Server 2003 GPO questions

I solved my problem!
    My first issue was the installation files that weren't running. I fixed this by enabling windows installer through the "allow select windows applications to run" option in the GPO. My second issue was turning off the GPO on the fly. Unfortunately, there is no option within the GPO editor that allows for this. However, I did create a .bat file which I can run that will insert specific registry key values that will render the GPO ineffective. I also created a "re-enable GPO" .bat file that I run after I am through making the changes, this will bring the GPO back up.
    Thanks so much for your help Batou1986! *Toast :toast:

Cja123, Dec 2, 2023
Thema:

What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

1. What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting - Similar Threads - happen remove GPO

2. What would happen?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What would happen?: I want to know what happens if i force enable ready boost what decrease in performance will happen? Can anyone answer cuz I wanna know before I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-would-happen/0f80ca99-edc9-4c66-a167-ef78c29465f9
  3. What would happen?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What would happen?: I want to know what happens if i force enable ready boost what decrease in performance will happen? Can anyone answer cuz I wanna know before I do it https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-would-happen/0f80ca99-edc9-4c66-a167-ef78c29465f9
  4. What happened to the arrow in Films&TV that would allow transition between videos in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to the arrow in Films&TV that would allow transition between videos in...: The arrows to go from the previous video to the next on the films and TV app are no longer visible in windows 10 I noticed this after a "security" update from today. Has anyone else experienced this recently and can it be resolved?...
  5. What happened to the arrow in Films&TV that would allow transition between videos in...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What happened to the arrow in Films&TV that would allow transition between videos in...: The arrows to go from the previous video to the next on the films and TV app are no longer visible in windows 10 I noticed this after a "security" update from today. Has anyone else experienced this recently and can it be resolved?...
  6. What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting: Suppose you have a GPO that sets the "allow log on locally" setting.What would happen if you removed this GPO from a device?Would the PC end up with nothing in the "allow log on locally" setting, or would it just revert back to default values?...
  7. What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting

in Windows 10 Customization
    What would happen if you remove a GPO containing the "allow log on locally" setting: Suppose you have a GPO that sets the "allow log on locally" setting.What would happen if you removed this GPO from a device?Would the PC end up with nothing in the "allow log on locally" setting, or would it just revert back to default values?...
  8. What happens if you remove USB mid-install?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    What happens if you remove USB mid-install?: I am afraid I might've unplugged the stick.The setup would throw an error right? I was on the Getting files ready part of the setup, the final part. submitted by /u/dadybosma [link] [comments]...
  9. What would happen if you allowed a malicious program to make changes to your computer?

What would happen if you allowed a malicious program to make changes to your computer?: What would happen if you allowed a malicious program make changes to your device and what would you do once you already let it make changes? submitted by /u/Professional_Gold987 [link] [comments]...
  10. What would happen?

What would happen?: Hypothetical question: What would happen if I were to download the insider slow 2004 update and then once installed properly, and if i removed insider program afterwards, would i still be on the 2004 update after removal of the insider program or would it force me to go back...