Windows 10: Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ?

Discus and support Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; So, when I had Win7, I had Comodo installed. I liked it. When I upgraded, Win10 knocked Comodo out saying it wasn't compatible with Win10. So, I... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Bansaw, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Bansaw Win User

Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ?

So, when I had Win7, I had Comodo installed. I liked it.
    When I upgraded, Win10 knocked Comodo out saying it wasn't compatible with Win10.

So, I left it alone.
    In the back of my mind is this nagging mistrust of Microsoft and the feeling I should add my own firewall and monitor what programs are actually communicating in and out.

What 3rd party firewall is a good option? I dont want something that is going to slow down my machine horribly. Comodo was pretty light...

:)

Bansaw, Jun 20, 2016

2. Cannot install updates due to Kaspersky anti Virus

Good advice. Windows Defender will protect you as good as any 3rd party protection program without a bunch of issues and hassles.

I ran Microsoft Security Essentials with windows firewall and everyone else I know has for free for over 10 years and nobody has ever been attacked.

It is the same as defender and firewall in windows 10.

you should not have 2 installed or especially running at the same time.

I would uninstall Kaspersky and you will be fine.

Also there has been rumors that Kaspersky is not trust worthy, they are a Russian based company from what I remember.

seahawks65, Jun 20, 2016
  3. I cant Install Apps on windows 10

Unfortunately from what I understand, you really do not have a choice anymore with Windows 10. Microsoft is requiring that all 3rd party firewall or Security Suite software providers utilized Microsoft's firewall foundation drivers. I am trying out Kaspersky's
    2016 security suite and if I go into the control panel for Windows and open up the Windows Firewall control panel there is a little yellowish banner that tells me that these settings are being managed by Kapersky's Internet Security Suite. It seems that Microsoft
    wants all firewall providers for Windows to be utilizing the same foundation from here on out. The differences are going to be how the firewall is controlled (ie: how often or why you would be presented with a popup asking for your input). Other than that,
    it no longer matters which 3rd party firewall you use because they are all utilizing the same foundation which also means that the Windows Firewall must be enabled because it is providing the firewall functions and your 3rd party firewall or security suite
    is only providing the user interface and communications with that firewall.

USCanthony, Jun 20, 2016
  4. roblinb Win User

I don't blame you for the mistrust. I trust them for building solid computer software products, but the telemetry and location stuff.... yeah, that could be taken advantage of by people that don't care much about our civil liberties.

As far as your question goes, do you mean free or paid firewall software? Do you want anti-virus included? The market for these products is pretty competitive now, and many of them are solid.

I'm using Norton Security 2016 right now, and it's very good.

roblinb, Jun 20, 2016
  5. I am using Norton Security Suite through Comcast. I have been very pleased with the product. The Norton products have a good reputation.

TexasBandit, Jun 21, 2016
  6. You should uninstall security software before upgrading, this is one of the reasons. You are lucky you've upgraded at all.
    Currently only real firewalls worth mentioning are Comodo & Zone Alarm. All others are either basic or discontinued.
    As for trust, there have been cases, when blocked processes in HOSTS and Windows Firewall were allowed to connect.
    People no longer install standalone firewalls, do not even know, what it is, so it is a dead business now, just like HIPS.

Honorable mentions of dead products: Jetico Firewall (free), Private Firewall (free), Outpost Firewall, RIP. *Sad

TairikuOkami, Jun 21, 2016
  7. shimshom Win User
    Comodo CIS works very well here on 2 pro x64 desktops so not sure why it won't work for you but could be to do with the upgrade and have you considered a clean install so everything is fresh which might be a bit more of a hassle but worth it IMHO

shimshom, Jun 21, 2016
  8. Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ?

I used to have a third party antivirus with Firewall built in.
    I dumped it just over a week ago and now only use Windows Defender and the Firewall.
    Do I regret it not one bit.
    Everything loads faster and runs better.
    I do use an Antimalware
    So I would say Microsoft Firewall is ok

hTconeM9user, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Whats a good 3rd party Firewall (do you trust Microsoft) ? - Similar Threads - Whats 3rd party

2. Do you have any 3rd party tech support that works for you?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Do you have any 3rd party tech support that works for you?: The reason is a company called Webistic LLC is trying to collect $199.00 for securing my emails and my router. When I called, Microsoft recording said they don't do tech support....
  3. Do you have any 3rd party tech support that works for you?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Do you have any 3rd party tech support that works for you?: The reason is a company called Webistic LLC is trying to collect $199.00 for securing my emails and my router. When I called, Microsoft recording said they don't do tech support....
  4. Do you have any 3rd party tech support that works for you?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. [sos] locked out of pc due to 3rd party firewall

[sos] locked out of pc due to 3rd party firewall: Q: how can i sign into admin microsoft account without internet access?Methods that failed:safe modestartup repaircommand promptnetshipconfiguninstalling firewall because exe file cannot be recognized...
  6. Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft Defender and 3rd Party Antivirus:: If I download a 3rd party antivirus, Microsoft Defender turns itself off. How long can it remain in the off disabled mode before the software becomes outdated/corrupt and will not come back on if or when I uninstall the 3rd party antivirus? Can you leave it disabled for 6...
  7. certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’

certmgr.msc - ‘Trusted Roots’ vs ‘3rd Party Roots’: Hello all, I’ve been looking around in certmgr.msc, and I’ve noticed “Trusted Root Certification Authorities” and “Third-Party Root Certificates” folders. What’s the difference? Thanks, InternetLuke....
  8. Do you need ccleaner or 3rd party cleaner for windows 10?

Do you need ccleaner or 3rd party cleaner for windows 10?: So today i just removed some software including my anti virus to get more space on disk and memory. I am afraid there is left over data from the software that i removed. So do i need to use 3rd cleaner such as CCleaner for it? 113932
  9. Disable Windows firewall when running 3rd party firewall?

Disable Windows firewall when running 3rd party firewall?: Quick question - I use Comodo firewall free edition as I like the functionality and interface. Should I disable Windows firewall since I have Comodo running? If so, how do I do that? 66137
  10. Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties

in Browsers and Email
    Careful for what you wish for - Data to be sold to 3rd parties: Hi there I'm surprised that there hasn't been any significant protest in the USA against a new law allowing ISP's to SELL peoples browsing history to 3rd parties -- we complain enough about Google / Amazon etc doing this but allowing ISP's to sell your browsing history --...