Windows 10: What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel?

Discus and support What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; In the past I've used Karen's Directory Printer to save to file an Excel or a CSV file. My objective is to have a file to accompany each of my retired... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by lbeck, Jul 24, 2018.

1. lbeck Win User

What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel?

In the past I've used Karen's Directory Printer to save to file an Excel or a CSV file. My objective is to have a file to accompany each of my retired HDDs that helps in my file hoarding curse. I've kept old files due to inexpensive HDDs and my paranoia of losing something important.

Two things have happened - Karen died several years ago and my HDDs have gotten larger. Creating a list of files/folders exceeds the row capacity of Excel 2013 and contains more info than I need. What I really want is a freeware program that can be configured to show only folder/filename/date/size.

Does such an animal exist?

:)

lbeck, Jul 24, 2018
  2. Drone Win User

Directory Size Utility

First of all nice utility, Mindweaver!
    Second of all, it's so nice to see that this section ain't dead.

I have a few questions/suggestions, maybe you'd want to see ...
    • maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that?
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs)
    • maybe you also add export list to excel?
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too?
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories?

Drone, Jul 24, 2018
  3. Saving a file to a folder

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Microsoft Community and we appreciate your interest in Windows 10.

I will definitely assist you

It would be grateful if you could provide us few questions answer to understand the issue better and to provide you better assistance.

• How are you accessing emails through web browser or through a mail client (mail app, outlook 2010/2013)?

• Are you trying to save the email attached file? Please elaborate.
    If you are using Outlook email, let’s try simple steps and check if it helps. Try the below steps provided.

Step 1.

If you want to save only the attached file from the email, try the below step.

• Right click on the attached file and click on Save as.

• Now select a folder location where you want to save the attached file.
    Step 2.

If you want to save the file along with the email try the below steps provided.

• Open the mail you want to save and click on File on the top of the right side.

• Click on Save As and select a folder location where you want to save the email.
    Hope this helps. If you need further assistance with Windows, let us know and will be glad to help.

Billion Debbarma, Jul 24, 2018
  4. What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel?

Directory Size Utility

Thanks buddy! Yea, this section's not dead. Kreij and I have big plans for this section. I don't want to give nothing away, but we have some bigger projects down the road. *Toast :toast: I feel I'm pretty good at coding with different languages, but I'm well behind Kreij's level of experience with those other Languages. I've been working on those other languages, and soon I'll feel comfortable enough to start, and not feel like I'm holding the project back. *Toast :toast:

Now on to your suggestions.

• maybe you rename Get Folder button caption to something more intuitive? Add Folder, Get Folder Size, Check Folder Size or something like that? Yea, that's been bothering me and I like your suggestion "Add Folder". I'll change it on the next release.
    • Could you add subfolder files to the right pane? (it can be a tickbox with include sub dirs) I could add this, but let me see if I understand what you're asking. By subfolders you mean add all the folders in the left panel to the right panel? Those folders are all the subfolders in the "Get folder".
    • maybe you also add export list to excel? I'll add this on the next release.
    • there's delete file button maybe you add delete folder button too? I'll add this on the next release.
    • and finally maybe you can add UP button for directories? I'll add this on the next release.
    These are all great suggestions! Thanks Drone! *Toast :toast:

Mindweaver, Jul 24, 2018
Thema:

What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel?

1. What's a good utility to display files/folders and save to Excel? - Similar Threads - What's utility display

2. I9-13900k and saving Excel files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I9-13900k and saving Excel files: I am having major failures in saving Excel workbooks Large and Small.The files get corrupt sometimes, when I try to re-open the workbook to quickly within 45 seconds or shutdown the computer with in a minute or 2.I am using an I9-13900k processor and 32gb ram and nvme drives...
  3. I9-13900k and saving Excel files

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I9-13900k and saving Excel files: I am having major failures in saving Excel workbooks Large and Small.The files get corrupt sometimes, when I try to re-open the workbook to quickly within 45 seconds or shutdown the computer with in a minute or 2.I am using an I9-13900k processor and 32gb ram and nvme drives...
  4. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Excel Macro File Saving Problem: Hello Friends, Here I am new so, please help me. I received a message/error "There isn't enough memory to complete this action" when I save my MACRO File. I try all things from YOUTUBE but not helpful....
  5. Excel Macro File Saving Problem

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Excel Macro File Saving Problem: Hello Friends, Here I am new so, please help me. I received a message/error "There isn't enough memory to complete this action" when I save my MACRO File. I try all things from YOUTUBE but not helpful....
  6. Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Saved Microsoft Excel File Not Encrypted in the Encrypted Folder: When a *.xls excel file is saved in a encrypted folder the file is not automatically encrypted. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/saved-microsoft-excel-file-not-encrypted-in-the/c6b97419-6ce9-42e5-b449-4fc493672984
  7. save excel files to one drive

save excel files to one drive: I just updated my computer and now my office files will not update automatically, or sync, to the cloud. when I go to onedrive and use excel online everything works fine, and when I go to my offline excel the changes show up just fine. However, when I make changes to the...
  8. how to save a excel file as a database file.

how to save a excel file as a database file.: can not remember when I save a excel sheet as a database file. Is it .dbf or some other ending? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-save-a-excel-file-as-a-database-file/01ea6bb9-b056-4b0f-8dce-64a07f4ba952"
  9. Excel file saving problem. File disappeared.

Excel file saving problem. File disappeared.: Excel file had problem saving. Window asked if report to Microsoft. Now, excel file disappeared. There is a .tmp file. Where is my excel file? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/excel-file-saving-problem-file-disappeared/c1450290-5248-4c9f-aeb2-47702d4bdc54"
  10. excel files won't save.

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    excel files won't save.: I can open an excel file but when I save, it can't access the folder.[ATTACH][ATTACH][ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_start-windows_10/excel-files-wont-save/cc2fe25e-6973-408c-a9f8-bd23118886e3