Windows 10: What's that sound - it's not a drive?

Discus and support What's that sound - it's not a drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I hear a high pitched squeal coming from my PC. I only have 2 SSDs - no mechanical drives. The sound only occurs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BoomerM3, Aug 27, 2018.

1. BoomerM3 Win User

What's that sound - it's not a drive?

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I hear a high pitched squeal coming from my PC. I only have 2 SSDs - no mechanical drives. The sound only occurs when I am using the machine. It is especially noticeable when I'm doing a backup (like 2 hours).

The sound varies when using the internet with Chrome. When I go to a site, the squeal continues for a while after loading a page (maybe writing cookies). It will stop immediately if I close Chrome.

This may seem petty, but it gets annoying after a while. Can you identify this sound? And can you help me eliminate it?

Thanks.

:)

BoomerM3, Aug 27, 2018
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue What's that sound - it's not a drive? :p

cadaveca, Aug 27, 2018
  3. fireberd Win User
    Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Aug 27, 2018
  4. What's that sound - it's not a drive?

Sound problem

Hi,

We need to investigate further so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running the Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Type and select Troubleshooting on the Search bar/Cortana.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Playing Audio under Sound.
    • Follow the steps that will be provided.
    If the steps does not work. We suggest downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver from Realtek and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

What's that sound - it's not a drive?

1. What's that sound - it's not a drive? - Similar Threads - What's sound drive

2. No sound,what is the problem?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    No sound,what is the problem?: No sound on computer,what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-soundwhat-is-the-problem/15910595-9148-4cc8-ad33-0aafb1588ca1
  3. No sound,what is the problem?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    No sound,what is the problem?: No sound on computer,what should I do? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-soundwhat-is-the-problem/15910595-9148-4cc8-ad33-0aafb1588ca1
  4. What happened to my sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to my sound?: So on the morning of July 16, I boot up my laptop to watch a video or two and then I notice my audio's muted. I attempt to turn on the sound, but when the soundbar comes up it doesn't turn on whenever I press the "increase sound" button. And for some reason I can't upload a...
  5. What happened to my sound?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What happened to my sound?: Hi all,My Lenovo laptop, Windows 10, was doing just fine. I was listening to a YouTube station, put it on pause, stepped away briefly to fix lunch, only to come back to no sound. I used troubleshooter and this was the message:I couldn’t find your audio device. Make sure it’s...
  6. What is DTS sound control ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is DTS sound control ?: Suddenly noted this icon listed on Startup. It does not appear in programs and features.When icon is clicked nothing at all appears onscreen. Do my knowledge it is not something I opened or installed. I have been researching online to find fixes for pc/tv/speakers issues....
  7. What is DTS sound control ?

in Windows 10 Customization
    What is DTS sound control ?: Suddenly noted this icon listed on Startup. It does not appear in programs and features.When icon is clicked nothing at all appears onscreen. Do my knowledge it is not something I opened or installed. I have been researching online to find fixes for pc/tv/speakers issues....
  8. Flash Drive Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Flash Drive Sound: I am a windows 10 and a Microsoft Edge user. When I put a flash drive into my computer it makes a sound. Is there a way that sound can be turned off? Thanks for the help. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/flash-drive-sound/ffb9ce65-4d1e-42d0-a5d9-c2bd607a6b69
  9. Sound drive not detected

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Sound drive not detected: Hi, since I updated my Windows 10, the sound card drive has been removed and cannot be identified. Please help, the sound card has been deactivated. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/sound-drive-not-detected/80d76f6b-62f6-4d77-a0e1-779132797b9a
  10. What are these drives for ?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    What are these drives for ?: [ATTACH]what's the difference between these three drives C, D, E...D has the largest capacity. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-are-these-drives-for/a06d51fe-498d-476e-868a-dc0563a58fd2"