Windows 10: What's that sound - it's not a drive?

Discus and support What's that sound - it's not a drive? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I hear a high pitched squeal coming from my PC. I only have 2 SSDs - no mechanical drives. The sound only occurs... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BoomerM3, Aug 27, 2018.

1. BoomerM3 Win User

What's that sound - it's not a drive?

Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10, I hear a high pitched squeal coming from my PC. I only have 2 SSDs - no mechanical drives. The sound only occurs when I am using the machine. It is especially noticeable when I'm doing a backup (like 2 hours).

The sound varies when using the internet with Chrome. When I go to a site, the squeal continues for a while after loading a page (maybe writing cookies). It will stop immediately if I close Chrome.

This may seem petty, but it gets annoying after a while. Can you identify this sound? And can you help me eliminate it?

Thanks.

:)

BoomerM3, Aug 27, 2018
  2. cadaveca Win User

Good surround sound headset

I know you say you're not that guy, but stepping into the $250+ range really brings a change in build quality that might have you never having to buy another set. Otherwise, getting 6 speakers with decent sound in a headset is hard, and that's what you are asking for, and I have no suggestions, but just a bump up the list. *Stick Out Tongue What's that sound - it's not a drive? :p

cadaveca, Aug 27, 2018
  3. fireberd Win User
    Sound Quality

One thing that sticks out from looking at your "My Computer" specs. You list "ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)" which suggests you do not have the correct sound hardware driver. Your motherboard has Realtek sound and the first step is to install the Realtek sound drivers. My ASUS also came with Sonic Studio 2 which is a sound enhancement package. Check the ASUS install disc to see if you have something similar.

May not be a speaker problem.

fireberd, Aug 27, 2018
  4. Radney Dri Win User

Sound problem

Hi,

We need to investigate further so that we can identify the cause of the issue. We suggest running the Troubleshooter and see if it helps. Follow the steps below:

• Type and select Troubleshooting on the Search bar/Cortana.
    • Click Hardware and Sound.
    • Select Playing Audio under Sound.
    • Follow the steps that will be provided.
    If the steps does not work. We suggest downloading a fresh copy of the audio driver from Realtek and see if it helps.

Looking forward to your response.

Radney Dri, Aug 27, 2018
Thema:

1. What's that sound - it's not a drive? - Similar Threads - What's sound drive

2. What is drive e on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    What is drive e on Windows 10: My c drive is 80% full. I have another expansion drive now but Windows 10 is telling me that my drive e is almost full. I get a popup message in the bottom right hand corner of my screen which is annoying when watching videos. Can I block the message or find a way of freeing...
  3. What is the D drive and its purpose?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What is the D drive and its purpose?: What is a D drive in Windows 10 and its purpose? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/what-is-the-d-drive-and-its-purpose/a19dc692-96b7-4a08-b8da-897d2d54225b
  4. Reinstalling Windows (what drive)

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Reinstalling Windows (what drive): I’m in the process of reinstalling Windows 10. I have 3 drives (C, D, E). When I get to the screen that’s asking me to choose which drive to place Windows, I don’t know. I have data on the other drives so I don’t want to accidentally erase it. [img] [img] When I click on...
  5. Windows sounds driving me crazy

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows sounds driving me crazy: So I found where you can change the Windows sounds settings but I can't figure out which sound it is in the list to change. I want to turn off the sound Windows makes when you turn the volume control down and up. Any one know which sound it is in the list I need to change....
  6. Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?

Hard Drives: What's a "Frozen state"?: I'm running into problems with one of my HD (Toshiba N300 4TB). It hangs and freezes for 5 minutes a lot per hour so I'm getting hundreds of the following warning entries in the Event Viewer: Source: Disk Event ID: 153 The IO operation at logical block address 0x18c6c6a8...
  7. Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up?

Logical drive split on hard drive. What's up?: I have not run into this before and cannot find it discussed in the forums or internet. One of the physical data hard drives on my computer has two partitions. Two logical drive (F and G) as defined by the OS (Windows 10 pro). This is a 500gb HDD that is only about 50%...
  8. what is the usefulness of 3.5" hard drive?

what is the usefulness of 3.5" hard drive?: when 2.5" hard drive is more compacted and nice why there are still 3.5" hard drive, what is the reason of using 3.5" instead of 2.5" nowadays. Does 3.5" have longer average lifespan? 100942
  9. Hard drive is full, but of what?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Hard drive is full, but of what?: I just reinstalled Windows 10 a week ago, because I was having all kinds of problems with a black screen. Maybe some of you read my post about my old boot disk coming up blank. But now I have the opposite problem: when I installed Windows 7 the second time, I used a different...
  10. What is the Best Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 News
    What is the Best Hard Drive?: It was one year ago that I first blogged about the failure rates of specific models of hard drives, so now is a good time for an update. At Backblaze, as of December 31, 2014, we had 41,213 disk drives spinning in our data center, storing all of the data for our unlimited...