Windows 10: What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?

Discus and support What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows: ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00 However since switching to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by mck, Aug 8, 2017.

1. MCK
    mck Win User

What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown?

I've always had a desktop shortcut to shutdown Win10 as follows:
    ..... TARGET: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 00
    However since switching to Win10 when I click that shutdown icon, Win10 can take a long time to shutdown.

But if I press (win+x) and then do a shutdown that way, Win10 always shuts down in a minimum amount of time.

It seems that the desktop shutdown is allowing Win10 to do any pending Win10 updates while the (win+x) shutdown just does a shutdown and ignores any pending Win10 updates. Is that correct?

The desktop shutdown is aggravating when I'm troubleshooting a problem since it forces me to wait a long time for the shutdown to complete. How can I modify the desktop shortcut's TARGET to make it work like the (win+x) shutdown? Then I could have two desktop shutdowns and pick the one to use as appropriate.

Thanks.

:)

2. Windows 10:What are the diffrences and contrast between a Store App and a Desktop App?

I had been browsing this store apps and desktops apps,

What are the diff and contrast between a Store App and a Desktop App?,

How are they structured and work?,

What do they have common?

JirehLa-ab, Aug 8, 2017
  3. PhaniKD Win User
    Power Off options in Windows 10

What is the difference between "Win X Menu Shutdown(Start Menu right click)" to "Shutdown from Start Menu(Start Menu -> Power -> Shutdown". Why Microsoft has chosen to keep two ways of same functionality as both will use same number of Clicks to perform
    any operation.

PhaniKD, Aug 8, 2017
  4. f14tomcat Win User

I know there are different flavors of Shutdown switches and values, but I can't remember the best one. I do know @Kari has a shutdown command that is quick and complete. Maybe he will pop it here.

f14tomcat, Aug 8, 2017
  5. CountMike New Member
    This is my shutdown command and it shuts it down fast and irrevocably: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -f -t 00

CountMike, Aug 8, 2017
  6. MCK
    mck Win User
    I'll create another desktop shutdown shortcut using your method and see how it works.
    Thanks.

7. CountMike New Member
    You can also use it thru Command prompt or Run.
    For Restart: %windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -R -F -T 00

CountMike, Aug 9, 2017
  8. MCK
    mck Win User

I tried using your shutdown options but unfortunately it appears that it's the same as my current desktop shortcut shutdown (%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00") without the "-f forced" option.
    I think the -f option just forces any open programs to close but still allows Win10 updating to occur.

I'll have to wait for a long Win10 update to really be sure though.
    Thanks,

9. CountMike New Member
    Did you have a look at BIOS, maybe something is preventing full shutdown ?

CountMike, Aug 10, 2017
  10. MCK
    mck Win User
    Hi CountMike,

I don't have any problem doing a full shutdown. I wanted to know what's the difference between doing my desktop shortcut shutdown verses doing a (winkey+x) shutdown. I think my desktop shortcut shutdown can take a long time because it's allowing Win10 updates to happen automatically.

Thanks,

11. MCK
    Edit your shutdown shortcut to change the "t 00" to "t 1". It will work better. Windows does not seem to understand "00' to mean a legitimate number. I've been there, and done that. Give it a whilr!

Happy Trails, Mate!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Aug 10, 2017
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    NavyLCDR, Aug 10, 2017
  13. Mr Ed Win User

I have my Toshiba laptop configured to shut down immediately by pressing the power button (press once, don't hold in).

Mr Ed, Aug 11, 2017
  14. MCK
    mck Win User
    Done. Though it will delay shutdown for 1 second, I don't think it will stop Win10 from initiating any pending updates on shutdown. Thanks.

15. MCK
    mck Win User
    My PC was already set to disable Fast Startup. I do use Hibernation quite a bit during normal usage so I don't want to disable that.

When I was troubleshooting a friend's new Win10 PC, (an Epson printer problem unrelated to Win10), it was super annoying to have Win10 do auto updates when I clicked the desktop shortcut to do a shutdown. I would have to wait up to 10 minutes sometimes for shutdown to complete. That's when I discovered that doing a (win+x) shutdown did not do Win10 updates and shutdown was fast. That friend's Win10 is running the anniversary update.

My own PC was upgraded from the Anniversary update to the Creator' update so I'm not sure yet if that will affect the behavior of the (win+x) shutdown.

At any rate, since discovering the difference between a desktop shortcut shutdown and a (win+x) shutdown, I wanted to find a desktop shortcut that will do the exact same thing as a (win+x) shutdown. Not a biggie but it would just save having to press (win+x) when doing a shutdown while troubleshooting problems, or when a quick shutdown is needed for whatever reason.

Thanks,

Thema:

1. What's the diff between win+x shutdown and desktop icon shutdown? - Similar Threads - What's diff between

2. The previous system shutdown at X was unexpected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The previous system shutdown at X was unexpected: Please help me figure out why it crashed:System - Provider [ Name] EventLog - EventID 6008 [ Qualifiers] 32768 Version 0 Level 2 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x80000000000000 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2023-09-19T03:22:31.0960071Z EventRecordID 37748 Correlation - Execution [...
  3. The previous system shutdown at X was unexpected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    The previous system shutdown at X was unexpected: Please help me figure out why it crashed:System - Provider [ Name] EventLog - EventID 6008 [ Qualifiers] 32768 Version 0 Level 2 Task 0 Opcode 0 Keywords 0x80000000000000 - TimeCreated [ SystemTime] 2023-09-19T03:22:31.0960071Z EventRecordID 37748 Correlation - Execution [...
  4. Random Win 10 shutdowns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Random Win 10 shutdowns: Can anyone help? Is this a GPU problem, or a driver problem? I am getting random windows shutdowns:Problem details:SourceWindowsSummaryShut down unexpectedlyDate‎10/‎18/‎2022 11:25 AMStatusNot reportedProblem signatureProblem Event Name: BlueScreenCode: 144Parameter 1:...
  5. Desktop machine shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Desktop machine shutdown: after several minutes like 40 of using my desktop computer, it displays a msg going to sleep, then shuts down completely, until i restart it again, its running on windows 10...
  6. desktop shutdown

in Windows 10 Customization
    desktop shutdown: My desktop keeps restarting itself, it shuts down and my screen becomes dark and then it comes back on again, and when i have my file explore on, it shuts that too. How do i fix that and make it stop?...
  7. desktop shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    desktop shutdown: About a couple weeks ago my desktop computer stopped being able to shut down through the start menu, I have to physically press the power button. If I try to shut down any other way, the computer will only restart. I've tried changing the power settings to not restart if...
  8. shutdown icon

shutdown icon: Can you create shutdown icon on laptop windows 10 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-icon/7298692a-3687-4014-a1fe-655f042a73ad
  9. What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?

What is the difference between Shutdown and Restart?: When I receive an order to stop what I am doing and MS force an update, it gives me the option to Restart or Shutdown." Is there any difference? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-is-the-difference-between-shutdown-and/fa211af9-a13d-43da-9f8d-a5d2973a5c77
  10. Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?

in Windows 10 Support
    Difference between shutdown /p and shutdown /s ?: Hello, I followed Brink's tutorial here: Shut Down Computer in Windows 10 And I saw that there are 2 ways to fully shutdown Windows through cmd: /s and /p. What is the difference between these 2, if both of them are said to perform a full shutdown? Thanks 39792