Windows 10: What's the latest way to stop Windows 10 app resets?

Discus and support What's the latest way to stop Windows 10 app resets? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I'm on Win 10 1709, Build 16299. Is there anything new that I can try to stop Windows from resetting my chosen, default apps to the typical MS apps? It... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by JimmyW, Dec 23, 2017.

1. JimmyW Win User

What's the latest way to stop Windows 10 app resets?

I'm on Win 10 1709, Build 16299. Is there anything new that I can try to stop Windows from resetting my chosen, default apps to the typical MS apps? It seems that every fix I've tried fails. Thanks.

:)

JimmyW, Dec 23, 2017

2. How to stop the windows 10 upgrade to the latest build

Yes, you need to disable the scheduled tasks.

The problem is I haven't encountered a condition where I have had to hide the update. I can only post the solutions that worked for other users

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 23, 2017
  3. How to stop the windows 10 upgrade to the latest build

Thank you for your help. I enabled windows update service and ran the tool again. I did find the features update and hid it. Thank you for your help.

NoahBorkin, Dec 23, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Tony K, Dec 23, 2017
  5. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks. I've tried them all more than once, but while they'll set my apps to my chosen ones, MS manages to revert them to the MS apps at some point.

JimmyW, Dec 23, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    Hmm. That's really odd.

Tony K, Dec 23, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Dec 23, 2017
  8. Lambert58 Win User

VLC is not even an option in setting default either by apps or by file extension, such as avi. I shut off WMP in turn on / off apps and IE11, for the moment. Also shut down all privacy options. Which will likely cause more issues, but at least ones I had a choice in. I wont go on a rant here either, but I sure could. Bottom line, nothing seems to work to prevent this and VLC is arguably one of the best media players available, seems petty to not even allow it as an option, and yes, it is installed and working. And, if only it stopped with VLC.

What made me despise Apple is now tenfold with MS and just confounding.

I did just try Brinks fix "tutorials/45792-fix-app-default-reset-error-windows-10" which was last updated in May, just now, fingers crossed for any reprieve.
    *THANKS in advance Brinks (again)

Lambert58, Dec 27, 2017
  9. dalchina New Member
    As you have and you can't use it, there's some other problem.

What's the latest way to stop Windows 10 app resets? [​IMG]

It's not that Win 10 in general doesn't allow it.

Considering registry issues as you have may be the way forward.

Try creating a new user for test purposes and see if there's a difference. If so, it could be a user profile problem.

dalchina, Dec 27, 2017
  10. JimmyW Win User
    Thanks. I've seen many of the earlier posts on this issue. Typically, it's my graphics (IrfanView), PDF (Acrobat Pro), Video (VLC), and HTML (Firefox) apps that makes MS complain most often. As my apps as well as Win 10 stay current constantly, I'm not sure that a fix today will work tomorrow. Moreover, Acrobat is so superior to any MS product that it would be impossible for me to switch. In the end, there's little doubt that one goal of MS is to stifle competition and push consumers to its tools by any means possible. Given that fact, I'm afraid this will be a never-ending problem.

JimmyW, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. What's the latest way to stop Windows 10 app resets? - Similar Threads - What's latest stop

2. is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned": I just wrote this as a reply to a user's concern but wondered if you know how to reset it?[quote]Mine was a little different: I do like that it admits that it is Bing. Cortana -> Bing -> copilot – different names for the same thing. Maybe slightly advanced in phraseology. The...
  3. is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    is there a way to "reset" what copilot has "learned": I just wrote this as a reply to a user's concern but wondered if you know how to reset it?[quote]Mine was a little different: I do like that it admits that it is Bing. Cortana -> Bing -> copilot – different names for the same thing. Maybe slightly advanced in phraseology. The...
  4. A way to stop one particular app in OneDrive

A way to stop one particular app in OneDrive: Is there indeed a way to stop one particular App to TwoDrive, pardon me please, I mean to OneDrive and if so, how? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/a-way-to-stop-one-particular-app-in-onedrive/4da88bf2-d79a-43d8-8c0f-32e7fbce15e5
  5. what is most thorough way to factory reset windows 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    what is most thorough way to factory reset windows 10?: Hi there I bought a windows 10 laptop about a week ago that I now wish to return to the vendor that I bought it from. For the week that I had it though, I used it as if it were my own. Set it up with various passwords, installed a few bits of software, and also on things...
  6. what is most thorough way to factory reset windows 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    what is most thorough way to factory reset windows 10?: Hi there I bought a windows 10 laptop about a week ago that I now wish to return to the vendor that I bought it from. For the week that I had it though, I used it as if it were my own. Set it up with various passwords, installed a few bits of software, and also on things...
  7. Windows Store stopped upgrading to the latest apps

Windows Store stopped upgrading to the latest apps: One of 8 computers on version 1909 stopped updating to the newest apps such as calculator and feedback hub in mid-May. I tried everything from restoring old backups to other versions of Windows 10 1809 to reinstalling on a blank SSD both versions 1809 and 1909 with no...
  8. Windows Store stopped upgrading the latest apps

Windows Store stopped upgrading the latest apps: One of 8 computers on version 1909 stopped updating to the newest apps such as calculator and feedback hub in mid-May. I tried everything from restoring old backups to other versions of Windows 10 1809 to reinstalling on a blank SSD both versions 1809 and 1909 with no...
  9. Windows 10 no way to stop updating

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 no way to stop updating: I uninstalled several security updates and feature updates. Then, I have cleared anything in the software distribution folder. Stopped the Internet and wifi, and finally disabled windows update service and update orchestrator service in services.msi. When I restart the...
  10. what's the latest with ADS on windows 10

in Windows 10 Support
    what's the latest with ADS on windows 10: hello, thinking about the upgrade from 7 and get lots of conflicting opinions out there in browser land what about ads on win 10? I have all the usual ad block stuff for browsers. My concern is ads showing up on my desktop. Dont really use many app/feeds for games news etc...