Windows 10: What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity

Discus and support What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; My upgrade to 10 has gone pretty well so far. The only problem is that Audacity audio editor (2.0.6) won't work ("Internal PortAudio error"/"program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Terri67, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Terri67 Win User

What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity

My upgrade to 10 has gone pretty well so far. The only problem is that Audacity audio editor (2.0.6) won't work
    ("Internal PortAudio error"/"program not supported.")

I want to uninstall it, but it's not recognized by Windows 10 "Uninstall Programs."
    What's the best way to do this without messing up the registry?

:)

Terri67, Aug 23, 2015
  2. Archer66 Win User

Right click context menu does not contain Audacity application to edit .mp3 file format on Windows 10.

Original Title: Right-click software choices

I have just moved my software and files to a new Windows 10 computer. I use Audacity to edit MP3 files but can no longer right-click the file and choose Audacity. The only option is "Choose another app." Audacity, of course, does not show up there. I don't
    want to make Audacity my default for MP3 files, I want it to remain Windows Media Player. Any thoughts? Yes, I know I can just launch the software, but it's still an advantage to be able to right-click and choose the program.

Archer66, Aug 23, 2015
  3. kjl1956 Win User
    side by side ???

As it seams the program can update itself but it does not uninstall the older version,

Win10 sees both the old and new version, only way to fix is to uninstall from programs and features;

but you have to delete the installed leftover folder from audacity x86 manually, them install the latest version.

Best to backup the saved files-jobs before doing this as it will probably delete everything.

kjl1956, Aug 23, 2015
  4. rmonroe36 Win User

rmonroe36, Aug 23, 2015
  5. Inundated Win User
    I have Audacity installed with no side effects on my W10 laptop.

I wonder if it being removed from my machine during Reset My PC, and then me going out and reinstalling it again after W10 was up and running, had anything to do with that.

Inundated, Aug 23, 2015
  6. AmericanPharaoh, Aug 23, 2015
  7. XweAponX Win User
    Audacity is a great program, there are two ways to get it, with an Installer, or from a Zip file. If you just copied it out of the zip file, it may not be working right. Use the installer and it should hook into your system properly, locating your Audio Hardware. Under "Help" there is a link to check your Audio Hardware:

What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity [​IMG]

That should tell you if there are any problems with your hardware. If you don't see the list of supported bitrates, it's not detecting your hardware.

XweAponX, Aug 23, 2015
  8. What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity

Be sure to update the FFmpeg library if you use it.

FFmpeg 2.2.2 should be used with the latest version of Audacity.

FFmpeg 0.6.2 for Audacity -> versions lower than 2.0.6
    FFmpeg 2.2.2 for Audacity -> versions 2.0.6 and higher
    FFmpeg 2.3.x -> versions 2.0.6 and higher
    FFmpeg 2.4.x and later is not supported, except for exports using Audacity's command-line encoder.

Audacity Manual FAQ: Installation, Startup and Plug-ins

Slartybart, Aug 23, 2015
  9. ambimom Win User
    I use Audacity 2.0 and it is working flawlessly with Windows 10. As for removal, might I suggest freeware: Move on Boot
    MoveOnBoot Free - Rename/Move/Delete Locked Files on Reboot. Revo Uninstaller is another great program but the free version probably won't help you if you're on a 64 bit system.

ambimom, Aug 23, 2015
  10. topgundcp Win User
    FYI, I use the portable version of any software when possible so they are available to use. This includes: CCleaner, Speccy, Audacity etc.. and they all work correctly. Just put them in a folder on another HD so they are available when I boot into different versions of Windows.

@OP
    You don't really need to uninstall it, just download the new version, run the installer, it will overwrite the previous broken version.

topgundcp, Aug 23, 2015
  11. Joergi Win User
    This answers the question:

The zip version is poartable; it should not create Audacity files at other places than inside the Audacity program folder. If Terry installed Audacity by extracting the ZIP file, then there will be no entry under "Installed Programs" in the control panel. You can then uninstall Audacity by just deleting its program folder.

If Audacity has in contrast been installed using an installer, then you will most likely have user files from it somewhere in your system (e.g. in your user folder). To get these files cleaned up as well, I would try downloading the current version of Audacity (take the installer version again) and install that one "over" the things you currently have. After that, the uninstall function should be working and you should be able to uninstall Audacity properly. What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity :)

Joergi, Aug 23, 2015
  12. Terri67 Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, I had zipped version of Audacity which I deleted and installed the current version.
    Same old problem: it don't work.

The Audacity Team got caught with their pants down on this one.

Terri67, Aug 24, 2015
  13. topgundcp Win User

Running CCleaner might fix the problem,

topgundcp, Aug 24, 2015
  14. it don't work
    doesn't help

Audacity is running well on my systems, one Home and one Pro - both x64.

Are you also running Line 6 - there are reported issues on that software & Win10.
    There are a few posts on Audacity forums with the same issue you reported here.

Audacity Forum View topic - Windows 10 issue - Internal PortAudio error
    Audacity Forum View topic - Windows 10 error opening device or Internal PortAudio error
    Audacity Forum View topic - Internal PortAudio Error

Most of the solutions involve getting the correct driver for the sound card.

Creative Worldwide Support

I hope it's that easy for you as well.

Good luck.

Slartybart, Aug 25, 2015
  15. Inundated Win User
    I reinstalled Audacity after the W10 "Reset this PC" option was needed...2.1.0, and just updated to 2.1.1.

I have no sound card driver issues there or otherwise.

Don't know what the sound card is...it came with the Dell Latitude E6400 and shows up as "High Definition Audio Device", whatever that means.

Inundated, Aug 25, 2015
Thema:

1. What's the Right Way To Uninstall Audacity - Similar Threads - What's Right Uninstall

2. Help with Audacity 'Spyware'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Help with Audacity 'Spyware': Windows 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1081) Audacity 3.0.2 Audacity 'Spyware' Claims Follow Privacy Policy Changes By New Owner Audacity 'Spyware' Claims Follow Privacy Policy Changes By New Owner - MacRumors How can block the spyware, (Firewall, Registry... everywhere where I can...
  3. Audacity . . .

in Windows 10 Customization
    Audacity . . .: My computer, is a Dell laptop. Running Windows 10 Pro. I'm trying to install, Audacity. But, it's very confusing! I can't find it. After installation? I looked in, x86 program files? I've looked, everywhere.? I even looked. In the Control Panel. To see, if it was listed....
  4. Whats the right way to use Git on Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Whats the right way to use Git on Windows 10?: Hello fellows. After more than 15 years on Linux I'm migrating to Windows 10 this year. Things seems to be more user friendly now. It was pretty annoying initially but I finally managed how to block Cortana, Start Menu Web Search and others craps through firewall and gpedit...
  5. What's the right way to backup my laptop?

What's the right way to backup my laptop?: Hi! I keep all my important files on my home server and not on my laptop. But my laptop is customized with software, etc that it would be good to have backed up in case I ever lost or damaged my laptop. I was having windows automatically backup itself daily, but the file...
  6. Is there a way to remove just the icons on the right without uninstalling or putting them...

Is there a way to remove just the icons on the right without uninstalling or putting them...: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Nachos_Perez [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ex32se/is_there_a_way_to_remove_just_the_icons_on_the/
  7. uninstall is there another way

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    uninstall is there another way: Why cant i uninstall this[ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/uninstall-is-there-another-way/63a97353-efb4-4ce0-9757-75bc5b51e67f
  8. I need help with Audacity seeing the right audio input

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I need help with Audacity seeing the right audio input: I am trying to live audio capture a phone call on my cell phone to my laptop, to prove to the guy at the cell phone store that the static, and having to ask the person to repeat things a lot and so on. That it is not a problem with the phone. I have gone through 3 phones so...
  9. Audacity and recording "What U Hear"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Audacity and recording "What U Hear": When previously on WIN 7 Pro 64 bit I was able to record with Audacity what ever was coming out the speakers using the "What U Hear" feature of my sound card (Creative PCIe X-Fi Titanium). Having upgraded and subsequently a clean install of WIN 10 Pro 64 bit this no...
  10. Alternatives to Audacity

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Alternatives to Audacity: ​​Any good free audio editors that will work with Windows 10? I basically just need a decent sound recorder. Thanks​ 19114

Users found this page by searching for:

1. audacity error another program is running in windows 10