Windows 10: WHEA uncorrectable error Win 10, bugcheck 124, ASUS laptop Eee VX6S

Discus and support WHEA uncorrectable error Win 10, bugcheck 124, ASUS laptop Eee VX6S in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi, All, I know it's a frequent topic here, but so far the answers I've seen didn't help me (I didn't apply all of them yet). Need the community's... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by dreamt12, Dec 29, 2016.

1. dreamt12 Win User

WHEA uncorrectable error Win 10, bugcheck 124, ASUS laptop Eee VX6S

Hi, All,
    I know it's a frequent topic here, but so far the answers I've seen didn't help me (I didn't apply all of them yet).
    Need the community's help analyzing the minidumps. Which are attached.
    But let me review the issue and what I've done already: I have the above laptop which one day automatically upgraded to win10. (by one of the suggestions that popped up and was not declined).
    After a while it started shutting down with the WHEA error. It can happen after 5 / 10 /1h /2h etc. Quite random.
    Since then I've watched the temperatures, and it seemed it was running high. Updated the AMD drivers the latest crimson something and the GPU temperatures dropped nicely, and the CPU is also running around 56-67C.
    Scanned Hard drive for errors. Scanned 15passes extended memory scan via microsoft mdsched.exe and all was clean.
    Uninstalled most of the ASUS utilities (Which were working fine on Win7), after I saw such a suggestion either here or on another forum.
    Last time I've seen the error there were no devices attached to USB or any other ports.
    The PC has a dead battery that doesn't charge so it's always connected to a power source.

I've also loaded from a multi-boot HIRENBOOTCD style usb, and tried to backup the entire C: drive to try and format the PC then, but it froze / hanged during the backup.
    I've tried running sfc /scannow but usually the PC crashes with WHEA error before it finishes. I may have completed it once and it didn't detect any errors (I don't remember for sure since I tried it many times).
    I've also updated the BIOS via Asus LIVEUPDATE and it's the latest version (released in 2012).
    I haven't reset the bios though.
    There's no overclocking running and the computer is mostly used to browse internet and watch movies.
    Malwarebytes installed with free licence, and also AVG Free.
    Here's the main text from BlueScreenView:122916-55656-01.dmp 29/12/2016 11:07:47Bug Check Code: 0x00000124
    P1: 00000000`00000000
    P2: ffff9601`f682d028
    P3: 00000000`b6000400
    P4: 00000000`04e00800
    Caused by Driver: hal.dll
    Caused by Address: hal.dll+3627f
    Processor: x64
    Crash Address: ntoskrnl.exe+14a6f0Proc.
    Count: 4
    Major version: 15
    Minor Version: 14393

Also in the detailed view: hal.dll hal.dll+3627f fffff803`f800f000 fffff803`f8084000 0x00075000 0x57dac91a 15/09/2016 18:15:22
    ntoskrnl.exe ntoskrnl.exe+22b33c fffff803`f8084000 fffff803`f88a4000 0x00820000 0x584a77f6 09/12/2016 11:23:02

I've since then ran some tests with IPDT (Download Intel(R) Processor Diagnostic Tool)
    But except for a very first error: in Module Executable = SPBC.exe
    The purpose of spbc.exe is to determine if the processor under test is either a sample or production processor

All the rest of tests seemed fine. Tried also to run a burn-in test with this tool and it worked fine.

I've ran the dm reporting tool per the instructions in the sticky note and attached the file. surprised it's 22byres only, but I guess you guys know better.

Appreciate your help!

:)

dreamt12, Dec 29, 2016

2. 0x124 hal.dll BSOD (or rather Orange Screen of Death)

BugCheck 124, {0, ffffd904296b4028, be000000, 800400}

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)

Bug Check 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR | Microsoft Docs Check the article.

Probably caused by : GenuineIntel

Regards.

IT Guy Viki, Dec 29, 2016
  3. "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" BSOD while watching video in browsers (Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox)

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR points to a problem with your Hardware. Do the steps one by one until I figure out something from the BSODs. BugCheck Code 124

Sumit Dhiman2, Dec 29, 2016
  4. Ztruker Win User

Ztruker, Dec 30, 2016
  5. dreamt12 Win User
    hi, Ztrucker.
    i've updated the post and attached the file as generated by your tool per the instructions.
    is it ok now? can someone help me with the analysis of possible root cause?
    Appreciate it.

dreamt12, Dec 31, 2016
  6. Ztruker Win User
    Sorry, the zip you uploaded is empty. Please try again and check the zip before uploading.

I'll look at the two dumps you upload now.

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2017
  7. Ztruker Win User
    Code: BugCheck 124, {0, ffffc7877baa8028, b6000400, 4e00800} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys Probably caused by : GenuineIntel[/quote] Here is identical failure on a Win 7 system. [SOLVED] Windows 7 x86 BSOD - please help

I found several other threads with the same problem and all pointed to this thread for reference. You need to check CPU temps while running. Also check for a BIOS update for your system since what you have is pretty old: BIOS Release Date 03/05/2012

How to fill out System Specs for tenforums.

See here: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

Of major interest is the Manufacture and full model number of the computer if purchased or the system board if custom built.

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2017
  8. dreamt12 Win User

Hi, Rich,
    Thanks for the info. I've already updated to the latest available bios - before posting this thread. It's an old laptop, thus no newer BIOS releases since 2012.
    So if I understand correctly, also the linked post it all comes down to:
    BUSL0_SRC_ERR_M_NOTIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 0) means that your processor is sending out a request to read data from the L0 Cache, and there was a delay (invalid data in cache, miss, etc). Try updating your BIOS from Asus' website. I could not check to see what version you were because msmmbios.sys wasn't loaded in the dumps. If a BIOS update does not help, and temperatures are not a problem (ensure you are not overheating) your CPU is faulty and will need to be replaced.

The laptop usually runs 56-65C for CPU temps, and slightly higher GPU temps. It shouldn't cause overheating problems at this temp level to my knowledge.

I haven't tried resetting the bios yet, so maybe that's a first thing that has to be done.
    Then I don't know perhaps it's worth running some CPU testing software?
    Any suggestions?
    I can also try attaching a cooling pad for the laptop - we'll see if it will help.
    I hope that there wouldn't be a need to replace a notebook processor, as it's usually not worth the effort/investment.

If you have any other thoughts on the issue please let me know.

Thanks a lot,
    Vlad

[/quote]
    Here is identical failure on a Win 7 system. [SOLVED] Windows 7 x86 BSOD - please help

I found several other threads with the same problem and all pointed to this thread for reference. You need to check CPU temps while running. Also check for a BIOS update for your system since what you have is pretty old: BIOS Release Date 03/05/2012

How to fill out System Specs for tenforums.

See here: System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums

Of major interest is the Manufacture and full model number of the computer if purchased or the system board if custom built.[/quote]

dreamt12, Jan 1, 2017
  9. Ztruker Win User
    Try running DM_Log_collector again, see if you can get a zip file that is not empty.

Also, please fill in your System Specs as I showed.

Ztruker, Jan 1, 2017
  10. dreamt12 Win User
    Hi, Rich,
    I've updated the sys info in my profile. Not sure how that helps.
    I've ran the DM log collector 2 more times, with Admin permissions, still it's 22 bytes. Not sure what are the prerequisites to running this tool. maybe it needs rar/zip installed or what not, or if the file is bigger than X it just doesn't cut it.

Anyhow appreciate any more tips on what I can do to verify which part is faulty. If it's a driver or CPU or etc. And any recommendation for software for testing the CPU is welcome.

dreamt12, Jan 3, 2017
  11. Ztruker Win User
    I don't know why you can't access the zip file created by DM_Log_collector. Have you moved you user folders to another partition? If so maybe that is causing some problem.

See here: Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk from KYHI. Boot this and copy the zip file from your Desktop to a flash drive then boot normally and upload here.

Have you tried blowing compressed air through the vents in the laptop, see if that cleans out any accumulated dirt or dust?

Do you have your data backed up? If not, using a program like Macrium Reflect Free to backup your hard drive to an external USB drive would be a really good thing to do now, before doing anything else. At a minimum, you should backup any data you don't want to lose as well as record any license or installation keys.

The I would suggest doing a Clean Install of Windows 10, which includes formatting the hard drive or delketing all partitions then installing. See here: Windows 10 - Clean Install

Ztruker, Jan 4, 2017
  12. dreamt12 Win User
    Hi, Rich,
    What can I say, I've installed winrar, and cleared some of the older minidumps. One of these actions helped.
    I've attached an archive with the collector's data. it's 1+mb so there you have all the possible info.
    Let me know if you can find something interesting in that data.
    Thanks for the help!

dreamt12, Jan 4, 2017
  13. Ztruker Win User

I don't see any attached zip file.

Ztruker, Jan 4, 2017
  14. Ztruker Win User
    Ah, I see you attached it to your first post instead of your last one.

The latest dump shows:
    Code: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124) A fatal hardware error has occurred. Parameter 1 identifies the type of error source that reported the error. Parameter 2 holds the address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure that describes the error conditon. Arguments: Arg1: 0000000000000000, Machine Check Exception Arg2: ffffd28d0b412028, Address of the WHEA_ERROR_RECORD structure. Arg3: 00000000b6000400, High order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value. Arg4: 0000000004e00800, Low order 32-bits of the MCi_STATUS value.[/quote] That error (BUSL0_SRC_ERR_M_NOTIMEOUT_ERR) means the processor sent out a read request to L0 cache, and there was a delay in return (either a cache miss, or invalid data in cache). Could be a hardware problem but most likely a driver problem. - Cluberti

Code: BugCheck 124, {0, ffffd28d0b412028, b6000400, 4e00800} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys[/quote] This belongs to your AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series card. The driver you have is version 8.17.0010.1433 dated 26/02/2016. That's fairly new, but need to see if there is a newer one available.

Another thing I notice is your BIOS is quite old:
    Code: BIOS Version VX6S.0501 BIOS Starting Address Segment f000 BIOS Release Date 03/05/2012[/quote] The web site for your motherboard: Access Denied
    has much newer BIOS. Please download and install the latest, MAXIMUS VII HERO BIOS 3103, dated 2016/04/15.

See if that helps.

Ztruker, Jan 5, 2017
  15. dreamt12 Win User
    Hi, Rich,
    I've updated the drivers via AMD to latest Catalyst 15.7.1 package (also with 16.2.2 Crimson package), they both carry the latest driver for the card which is 15.301.x.x - still the same issue.
    I've reset the bios to optimized defaults and it didn't help.
    Now the BIOS suggestion is absolutely wrong - I've got the latest BIOS released for that laptop. What your suggestion carried was a completely different board with a completely different chipset - that just doesn't make sense. Looks like some suggestion by some strange driver software.

The following code is interesting, I couldn't see it myself when I trying using WinDbg:
    Code: BugCheck 124, {0, ffffd28d0b412028, b6000400, 4e00800} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys[/quote] However it tells me (and I could be wrong) that while the Microsoft Symbols package was loaded in that WinDbg session the respective AMD symbols which probably can be obtained from AMD were not loaded, hence the message above.
    Would be interesting to see this analysis when AMD symbols are loaded.

That error (BUSL0_SRC_ERR_M_NOTIMEOUT_ERR) means the processor sent out a read request to L0 cache, and there was a delay in return (either a cache miss, or invalid data in cache). Could be a hardware problem but most likely a driver problem. - Cluberti

Code: BugCheck 124, {0, ffffd28d0b412028, b6000400, 4e00800} *** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys *** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys[/quote] This belongs to your AMD Radeon HD 7400M Series card. The driver you have is version 8.17.0010.1433 dated 26/02/2016. That's fairly new, but need to see if there is a newer one available.

Another thing I notice is your BIOS is quite old:
    Code: BIOS Version VX6S.0501 BIOS Starting Address Segment f000 BIOS Release Date 03/05/2012[/quote] The web site for your motherboard: Access Denied
    has much newer BIOS. Please download and install the latest, MAXIMUS VII HERO BIOS 3103, dated 2016/04/15.

See if that helps.[/quote]

dreamt12, Jan 6, 2017
Thema:

1. WHEA uncorrectable error Win 10, bugcheck 124, ASUS laptop Eee VX6S - Similar Threads - WHEA uncorrectable error

2. WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR on Dell laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR on Dell laptop: Hi, Inspiron 15 3520, i5-1235U, 32GB RAM, Windows 11 but upgraded from 10 where I had also this same problem I have huge problem with bluescreens. I have already tried every solution foundon YouTube or Dell Support Pages. I have chcecked with Dell Support Service my machine...
  3. WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 which hardware is bad?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 which hardware is bad?: It seems WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 is almost always a hardware issue. Is there anyway to determine which piece of hardware? Or do I have to go purchase a second PSU and second CPU and second set of RAM just to figure it out?DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused...
  4. WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 which hardware is bad?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 which hardware is bad?: It seems WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 is almost always a hardware issue. Is there anyway to determine which piece of hardware? Or do I have to go purchase a second PSU and second CPU and second set of RAM just to figure it out?DescriptionA problem with your hardware caused...
  5. WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 which hardware is bad?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS GL503GE Laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS GL503GE Laptop: Hello, I have recently been experiencing random crashes on my ASUS GL503 GE laptop. The Windows Version is Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.1526The error shown is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I reinstalled Windows but the problem persists. Here is the link to a crash minidump...
  7. WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS GL503GE Laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS GL503GE Laptop: Hello, I have recently been experiencing random crashes on my ASUS GL503 GE laptop. The Windows Version is Windows 10 Pro Build 19044.1526The error shown is WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. I reinstalled Windows but the problem persists. Here is the link to a crash minidump...
  8. WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS GL503GE Laptop

9. WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS Vivobook

WHEA Uncorrectable Error on ASUS Vivobook: Hello, I had a WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR BSoD this morning. I ran chkdsk and it didn't seem to find any problems. I had recently reset my BIOS to default on the advice of an ASUS technician who I called about my PC rebooting when I plugged in/unplugged it. I also just...
  10. WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 while using Excel

WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR 124 while using Excel: Hi all, I have encountered a problem while using Excel with my newly built computer a few month back. While I am using Excel to compute some formula, it suddenly freeze. I restarted the computer and found minidump generated. Taking reference from this link, I run an analysis...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. whea code 124