Windows 10: Wheel has come full circle

Discus and support Wheel has come full circle in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; BTW, POSIX is not new to Windows. It's been there for over twenty years, ever since Windows NT. It was designed in by MS because POSIX-compliance has... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by margrave55, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Wheel has come full circle

BTW, POSIX is not new to Windows. It's been there for over twenty years, ever since Windows NT. It was designed in by MS because POSIX-compliance has been a de-facto requirement of most government RFPs. That would prevent MS from selling Windows servers under government contracts. So they built in a POSIX subsystem.

This subsystem was POSIX compliant so it met the "letter of the law" for RFP purposes. But it was essentially useless! MS built into it a mechanism so that a program using POSIX calls could not make Windows calls. Or a program using Windows calls could not make POSIX calls.

Useless! That's why most of us have never heard about POSIX on Windows.

But the world has changed. Linux evolved from a pet project into a world-changing server environment. As much as MS fought against it, the tide dictated otherwise. Linux is the dominant server platform. Not to be left behind MS had to embrace Linux. Bash on Windows is just the latest embrace.

margrave55, Apr 5, 2018
  2. jimbo45 Win User

Hi folks

people for years have been trying to get Windows applications to run natively on Linux with varying degrees of success -- WINE I believe was the method used which "sort of works" for a limited number of programs.

Now with the Linux subsystem on Windows we can run Linux apps natively on Windows -- even some GUI ones -- How things have turned around.

I'm sure we will soon be able to have an entire GUI desktop under Windows as Ms develops the Linux interface on Windows further (probably not what Ms was intending).

Anyway to those interested install an X server (that's the Linux thing that handles the screen so Windows / GUI's can run) on Windows -- Vcxsrv for windows (thats an X server which runs on Windows) start it up, install on the linux subsytem the program(s) you want to run and then run them from the command line--ignore console error / warning messages and you should see your windowed application running. Ensure though you have connected the display first with export DISPLAY=localhost:0.0.

Turnround !!!! who would have thought it -- Linux apps on Windows without using a VM. !!!

Not all will run but loads do.

Have fun

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Apr 26, 2018
  3. updates loading forever

Last night, my laptop gave me the option to update and turn off. I did so, and it has been loading ever since -- for nearly 24 hours. When I went to use the laptop in the morning, it said the updates were 9% complete...since then, all I see is the wheel
    of death circling and circling. What to do????

elisabethhoffman, Apr 26, 2018
  4. Peebs87 Win User

Wheel has come full circle

Start Menu and Cortana Aren't Working - Critical Error (Windows 10)

Just an update.

The latest wheel to fall of the Win 10 wagon .......................... I double click to open a .jpg file on my desktop and get yet another error "Invalid value for registry"! Right click and open with ..................... MS photo Mgr (Part of MS Office)
    and the file opens OK!

I am daily still greeted with "New Notifications" and still cannot access the notification centre. Win 10 is a JOKE!!!! and the continued silence from MS is truly deafening!!!!

Remember when we Window users smugly used to think that Apple was all but dead???? I think we have just come full circle!!!

Peebs87, Apr 26, 2018
  5. Who would have thought it? Cygnus Systems did about twenty years ago! They produced a product called Cygwin. I've been using it for around ten years. It works well, and it's free!

(In the 90s Cygnus System created Cygwin. Red Hat bought Cygnus in the early 2000s. Red Hat sold it a few years ago and it's now independently maintained.)

It offers a POSIX-compliant environment on Windows with no VM. A single dll translates POSIX system-calls into the equivalent Windows system-calls.

It includes an X server and lots of packages that give you a complete POSIX/Linux system.

The only thing "new" about Bash on Windows (aka Linux on Windows) is that it's from Microsoft, rather than Cygnus or Red Hat.

BTW, Cygwin is mature and it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the Microsoft implementation. The latter is missing a lot. I hope that MS will improve it over time. But it's just not yet complete.

margrave55, Apr 26, 2018
Thema:

Wheel has come full circle

1. Wheel has come full circle - Similar Threads - Wheel has full

2. My steering wheel has been detected as controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My steering wheel has been detected as controller: so my steering wheel has been detected as controller and i cant use it normally, no force feedback and messed up buttons...my wheel is thrustmaster t150 and drivers are up to date, even when i tried reinstalling it, it still doesn´t work so please help me...
  3. My steering wheel has been detected as controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My steering wheel has been detected as controller: so my steering wheel has been detected as controller and i cant use it normally, no force feedback and messed up buttons...my wheel is thrustmaster t150 and drivers are up to date, even when i tried reinstalling it, it still doesn´t work so please help me...
  4. My steering wheel has been detected as controller

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. The day has come

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    The day has come: My QuickBooks Pro is about to sunset, and I found out that QB 2021 doesn't support win 7, so my dedicated accounting machine will have to run Win 10. This machine is exclusively dedicated to doing the books. The only web surfing is to my bank sites for downloading...
  6. Time Has Come for a First

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Time Has Come for a First: 1st out of the gate: The time has come haha that 20H2, from Store, has its 1st Fluent Design/Sun Valley style app and this is it [ATTACH]Cheers, Drew [ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/time-has-come-for-a-first/42913248-5a3b-42c8-878c-4b4ba5207c5c
  7. Speaker has red circled x

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Speaker has red circled x: Computer Speaker has Red circled x in bottom tool bar & I can't get it to open. Have just finished WinZip updates on the computer. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/speaker-has-red-circled-x/4c6eb3cd-a224-4ce1-8d73-79cc950c307b
  8. Even in Full Screen Program, Mouse Wheel Scrolls 2nd Monitor.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Even in Full Screen Program, Mouse Wheel Scrolls 2nd Monitor.: I just upgraded to Windows 10. I play Subnautica on my left monitor, full screened. If I move the mouse to the right for a while, the Windows mouse cursor is actually in my 2nd (right) monitor but I can't see it. If I move the mouse wheel up and down it still acts as it...
  9. Cortana generates full screen window with a circle in the middle

in Windows 10 Support
    Cortana generates full screen window with a circle in the middle: Howdy. The environment: Hp Envy. Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48). All available updates applied to the OS and the Windows apps. The issue: Ever since I updated the OS to 1803, I get this fuill screen Cortana windows (with an "X" in the upper right corner.) I can't seem to...
  10. Spinning circle stays long time before desktop comes on

in Windows 10 Support
    Spinning circle stays long time before desktop comes on: in win 7, everything is perfect. very fast boot. i upgraded to win 10 and now that circle stays spinning a long time! eventually the desktop will appear. i tried a fresh install; same problem. 53343