Windows 10: when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop

Discus and support when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; I have a Dell laptop (running Windows 10), a Targus docking station, an old LG monitor that I'm trying to replace, and a new AOC monitor that I want to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by bennetthaselton, Jan 26, 2017.

1. when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop

I have a Dell laptop (running Windows 10), a Targus docking station, an old LG monitor that I'm trying to replace, and a new AOC monitor that I want to use instead. I am trying to attach the AOC monitor directly to the HDMI port on the laptop, since the monitor screen doesn't display as smoothly when it's connected to the docking station. The trouble is that when (and only when) the laptop is attached to the docking station, if I then plug the AOC monitor into the HDMI port on the laptop, both the laptop screen and the AOC screen switch over to showing the rightmost 50% of a Windows desktop:

when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop [​IMG]

This isn't usable, because when I open new apps, even though I can see their icon on the taskbar, the app has opened in the left-hand 50% of the desktop, which is not displayed on either screen. I know there is a "hidden half" of the desktop off to the left, because I can move the mouse pointer off of the left border of the screen(s), and then I have to drag the mouse pointer back by an equal amount before it becomes visible again.

Now, when the laptop is not connected to the docking station, everything works as expected. I can connect either the LG monitor or the AOC monitor directly to the laptop, and I can go into Display settings and choose to duplicate the screens, or extend the desktop across both screens, and all options work as they're supposed to. Here is the desktop duplicated across the laptop screen and the LG monitor:

and here it is duplicated across the laptop screen and the AOC monitor:

But, as soon as I connect the Targus docking station, the laptop only works correctly with the LG monitor. Here it is with the LG monitor connected, and the desktop nicely duplicated between the laptop screen and the LG screen:

However, as soon as I connect the AOC monitor instead, I get both screens showing the right-50% of the desktop, as shown in the very first picture.

How do I prevent that?

I do know that the laptop seems to count the Targus docking station as a "screen" (presumably because the Targus has a DVI connector on it). When nothing is connected to the laptop, Display settings shows 1 screen. When the Targus is connected, Display settings shows screens "1" and "2". And then when the LG monitor is connected, the laptop screen and the LG monitor become 1 and 2, while the Targus gets bumped down to 3. But, regardless, that still doesn't explain why the laptop is showing the rightmost-50% as soon as the AOC gets connected to it, and why this doesn't happen with the LG monitor.

The only other difference is that the LG monitor (the one that works) has a DVI connector which is then connected via a DVI-to-HDMI converter to the HDMI port on the laptop, whereas the AOC monitor (the one that's acting screwy) is connected via an HDMI connector straight to the laptop. Don't know if that affects anything.

:)

bennetthaselton, Jan 26, 2017
  2. MAK_28211 Win User

2nd Monitor on HDMI port not working on Dell 8900

Hi, I have updated the driver. I have read & followed Andre Da Costa article.

Summary of my problem.

I connect the 2nd monitor to the HDMI port

The 2nd monitor will turn on and establish connectivity with the computer

I am able to extend my desk top screen.

But, after leaving my desktop for an hour ( I do not have a laptop) both the desk top monitor and the 2nd monitor will go into sleep mode and will not wake up.

I have to disconnect the 2nd Monitor from the HDMI port

Then reboot my system.

Then reconnect the 2nd monitor

Any ideas on how to resolve this issue?

thank you

Mak

MAK_28211, Jan 26, 2017
  3. Shojie Win User
    Icon/Desktop Alignment Issues

Specs: Dual monitors (both the same model ViewSonic LED 1080P HD), Radean R9 390 Series, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Intel i7-3770, 16 Gigs RAM

Issue: Happened after an update a few weeks back (maybe 3 - 4 weeks ago)

(see attached image)

Windows desktop is aligned perfectly on both monitors. My left monitor (main) after the one update, decided to shift my icons about 1/3rd of the way down the screen (this is the normal alignment to the icons as if they where at the top of the screen).
    if I put my icons back to the top of the screen and reboot they are back down as seen in the above image.

If I change my 2nd monitor to my main the icons are exactly where they belong at the top of the screen. Also if I pass a windows from main monitor (left) to the 2nd monitor (on right), the window becomes out of wack and the monitors seem off alignment. (see
    2nd image)

I've tried to google but only get where the icons aren't saving position, this is something a bit different. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Shojie, Jan 26, 2017
  4. when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop

Weird things can happen In duplicate mode with two different resolution Monitors on the same GPU. Connecting the display to the HDMI on the laptop connects them both to the laptops GPU. When connected to the docking station the second monitor is on a USB feed GPU, a second GPU. best guess anyway. What happens if you switch to extend? Windows Logo key *Start + P > Extend.

alphanumeric, Jan 26, 2017
  5. Thanks, this did help fix it! When I connected the new monitor and got both screens showing the rightmost 50% of the desktop, I just hit windows-P and the menu appeared (since it appears by default on the right-hand side of the screen, that meant of course it was part of the 50% of the desktop that I could see). And from there I could edit display settings and get it fixed.

bennetthaselton, Jan 30, 2017
  6. I like that word fixed. *Biggrin

alphanumeric, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop

1. when attaching 2nd monitor, both screens change to right50% of desktop - Similar Threads - attaching 2nd monitor

2. both monitors are on but my pc doesnt detect the 2nd i have both screens duplicated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    both monitors are on but my pc doesnt detect the 2nd i have both screens duplicated: i have got a hdmi splitter for my pc in the hopes to extend my display. both displays are connected and working but they are only duplicated. i went into display settings to change it but i couldnt and when i click detect the pc is unable to detect the 2nd monitor even though...
  3. both monitors are on but my pc doesnt detect the 2nd i have both screens duplicated

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    both monitors are on but my pc doesnt detect the 2nd i have both screens duplicated: i have got a hdmi splitter for my pc in the hopes to extend my display. both displays are connected and working but they are only duplicated. i went into display settings to change it but i couldnt and when i click detect the pc is unable to detect the 2nd monitor even though...
  4. Lock screen photo changed size with 2nd monitor

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lock screen photo changed size with 2nd monitor: I recently purchased a 2nd monitor and now whenever i turn on my PC, the photo I chose for my lock screen has enlarged so now only a small part of one of the upper corners of the original images is shown.Any help would be appreciated....
  5. Lock screen photo changed size with 2nd monitor

Lock screen photo changed size with 2nd monitor: I recently purchased a 2nd monitor and now whenever i turn on my PC, the photo I chose for my lock screen has enlarged so now only a small part of one of the upper corners of the original images is shown.Any help would be appreciated....
  6. In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.: Hello all,I am using 2 monitors. I created a virtual desktop on the 1st monitor. But when I make a virtual desktop change it changes on my second monitor. I just want my 1st monitor to change and my 2nd monitor to stay fixed. Because I am using applications on the 2nd...
  7. In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.

In virtual desktop change, it changes on the 2nd monitor.: Hello all,I am using 2 monitors. I created a virtual desktop on the 1st monitor. But when I make a virtual desktop change it changes on my second monitor. I just want my 1st monitor to change and my 2nd monitor to stay fixed. Because I am using applications on the 2nd...
  8. CHANGE THE ORDER OF A 2ND MONITOR

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    CHANGE THE ORDER OF A 2ND MONITOR: I added a second monitor, and i want to change the order of the monitor display. Thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/change-the-order-of-a-2nd-monitor/0bb1209e-c103-4f7b-80cc-bb07f224de26
  9. Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Changing to another desktop with multiple monitors changes desktops on both monitors. Is...: I have a Macbook for work, and I use multiple desktops all the time on it while also having an external monitor plugged in. Mac's default behavior when transitioning to another desktop is to only change the desktop on one of the monitors. I virtually never want to change...
  10. When I power both monitors off, all windows on 2nd monitor get moved to 1st monitor

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    When I power both monitors off, all windows on 2nd monitor get moved to 1st monitor: As the title says. It doesn't move the windows until I power the 2nd monitor back on. It then changes the wallpaper to the same as the 1st monitor. Basically it's thinking my monitor has been disconnected and reconnected so the display settings are reset. This is happening...