Windows 10: When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

Discus and support When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; On my desktop PC, I have Windows configured to blank the screen and lock the console after 15 minutes of inactivity. A few times, when I've moved my... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ChrisWaters, Sep 20, 2017.

1. When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

On my desktop PC, I have Windows configured to blank the screen and lock the console after 15 minutes of inactivity.

A few times, when I've moved my mouse and/or pressed a key, instead of being prompted to enter my PIN, the screen has remained blank; only the mouse cursor is visible--and movable. No matter what I've tried--typing the PIN, pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del, pressing the standby button--I can't get the unlock prompt to appear. My only recourse is to cycle the power.

This annoying behavior began about two months ago; I haven't discovered any pattern to it. Any ideas as to what might be the cause?

:)

ChrisWaters, Sep 20, 2017
  2. RAPXV Win User

Cursor problems after Windows 10 update was downloaded on Feb 11, 2016

My operating system is "Windows 10 Home" that I upgraded to from "Windows 8.1 Update 1".

A symptom started when I was watching a video, that I rented today, using the MS Edge browser.

The cursor (showing a hand pointing) wouldn't disappear from the screen.

I decided to restart the computer to possibly fix this issue.

That's when I saw the option to "Update and Restart" so I did that.

As the update was installing I saw two of the installing information on the screen. When the installation was complete I saw two cursors on the screen. One cursor was inside a shaded circle both frozen there. The other cursor that was movable was tiny, it
    disappeared and reappeared sporadically as I moved my mouse around the screen. When it appeared it would blink rapidly. Sometimes, the circle would not be seen anymore, just the second cursor. As I was typing here in this form, the second cursor became small
    and started to blink but remained in one place while I used the moveable cursor. Now, the second cursor has, apparently, disappeared for good as well as the circle and my movable cursor is no longer blinking and no longer disappearing. My movable cursor seemed
    smaller than the size that I had originally set it for so I just now clicked on the Start button to go over and see what I had set it for but the Control Panel button is gone from my Start menu, along with my most frequently used apps. Has anyone else experienced
    this? Is Microsoft aware of the problem?

RAPXV, Sep 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 upgrade now PC no longer boots

I did a full wipe and reinstall of Windows 8.1. Upon completion of Windows install, I installed no drivers except for what windows detected and automatically installed. I installed no secondary software - the X51 then prompted me to install windows 10 -
    it reached 35%, did a restart and I was again sitting with black screens and a mouse. I am wondering what the issue is as the mouse functions, the pc goes to sleep and I can wake it by moving the mouse or pushing a key on the keyboard.

If I reboot and try to go to diagnostic mode, it simply says windows did not start correctly and to restart the pc. This of course just loops me back to the blank screen with a movable cursor. See image below. I have tried to disconnect one or both monitors
    and try another monitor --- did not know if it was a resolution issue or not. No matter what screens I hook up, its a black screen with a movable cursor - nothing else.

When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor [​IMG]

CherokeeO'Larte, Sep 20, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

Hi there, @ChrisWaters. Welcome to Windows TenForums.

Could be a number of things. We will need to know what computer you have, so please fill out your system specs by clicking on Settings link at the top of this page then look in the left column or post them here.

I did find this if you have onboard graphics and a graphics card installed: Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen Solved - Windows 10 Forums

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  5. It tends to do this on some old-structure hardwares, as it did once in mine. If you have a custom texture applied to Windows, it might be harder, but try blindly unlocking the computer, and then switching the projection mode. Silly, I know, but it has worked for me, I hope it does for you

SLENDER RISING, Sep 21, 2017
  6. Thanks for the reply and assistance. Since I work with multiple PCs, I'm posting the offending PC's system specs here:

• Computer Type: Desktop
    • System Manufacturer: Dell Studio XPS 435 MT
    • CPU: Intel Core i7 2.67GHz
    • Memory: 20GB
    • Graphics Card(s): ATI Radeon HD 4600 Series
    • Monitor Displays: Two: Dell 2007WP, Dell 2009W
    • Screen Resolution: 1680x1050 (Recommended)
    • (Primary) Browser: Chrome
    • Antivirus: Windows Defender
    As you can see, I *do* have a graphics card installed; therefore, I'm reviewing the content in the lengthy thread you referenced and will try the suggestions if/when the problem happens again. Strange that the issue began only a few months ago.

ChrisWaters, Sep 21, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Wow! What a rig! *Thumbs

I see you dual-monitor. I do too and have just a MSI card. Now retired I mostly use one monitor and never ran into this problem.

I see the OP in that thread has Dell also, but others there have other brands, so we can pretty much rule out OEM. The OP explains that Windows at times thinks he has two monitors of which you do.

Could be a Windows update screwing up the video driver in some way. I see so much of that.

Yes, I guess try that and see how it goes. Please report back if it works for you? I'll keep my eye out and report anything I find. Good luck to you.

Tony K, Sep 21, 2017
  8. When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

The problem happened again. I tried everything mentioned in the entire "Fix for windows 10 booting to a black screen" thread that was applicable to my PC, without success:
    • Verified the BIOS is current
    • Checked the BIOS for the ability to disable onboard graphics; no such option
    • Verified no devices in Device Manager have exclamation marks
    I also checked the ATI/AMD website for updated drivers; there aren't any. In fact, the website says the Radeon HD 4000 Series does not support Windows 10.

Strange that things worked fine until just a few months ago; I'm guessing the culprit is something video driver-related, installed by Windows Update some months ago.

ChrisWaters, Sep 30, 2017
  9. The problem didn't happen for a few weeks and now is happening every day.

What's the best way to resolve this? Reinstall Windows?!?

ChrisWaters, Nov 13, 2017
  10. Tony K Win User
    Hi. I didn't know it started working again. Missed that last post as well. They must've released a patch and this latest major feature update (FCU > Fall Creators Update) must've broke it again? Not sure where you're at with it.

You stated that Windows 10 does not support the Radeon HD 4000 Series. That is true. Have you been using this page? Download Drivers
    Seems to me by choosing your product in the "Manually select your driver" column, your product shows up under "Desktop Graphics" which, I believe, is onboard graphics (made by ATI?), not a card as you say. Then continuing down in that column there is no choice for Windows 10 as an OS for that series.

If that be true, then get a card for it that does support 10 if it has an expansion slot. I had to do that with an older Acer. 8.1 would no longer support the onboard graphics.

Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  11. Thanks for the reply. I haven't installed the FCU yet; I'm running Version 1703, Build 15063.674.

I'm selecting Desktop Graphics > Radeon HD Series > Radeon HD 4xxx Series PCIe. Just like ATI's website itself, it says the Radeon HD 4000 Series does not support Windows 10. But it had been working great for well over a year! I think something else is amiss, but I don't know what. In another thread, I asked for help to resolve why name resolution (to access other PCs on the network) frequently stops working; the only recourse I've found for that is to uninstall and re-install the network interface device (!). (Now that I think about it, perhaps I should try uninstalling and re-installing the video card! I don't think I've tried that.) That's why I'm wondering if it's time to do an OS reset / re-install.

I can upgrade to a new video card ... and see if that resolves the issue ... but wouldn't know which card to go with. Maybe a Radeon HD 5xxx Series? ATI's website says it supports Windows 10. I dunno.

12. Tony K Win User
    Well, I don't know why they would not support that card. It's not that old. Sheesh.

Really don't know what to tell you at this point. If you look for a new card post your question here: Graphic Cards - Windows 10 Forums

Tony K, Nov 13, 2017
  13. When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

Do you think there would be anything to be gained by performing an OS reset? I've not done that with Windows 10 before ... but I thought it to be a viable option. OTOH, I'm trying to avoid having to re-install all of my apps.

14. Pirx Win User
    You can always try. But, it's Windows 10 you are dealing with, so anything is possible. It's simply not a production-quality OS.

P.S.: Have you tried this: "Action 1: Try a Windows Key sequence to wake the screenIf you have a keyboard connected, simultaneously press the Windows logo key + Ctrl + Shift + B. "

15. I used Device Manager to uninstall and reinstall the display adapter. Let's see if that helps.

Thanks, I'll try that keyboard sequence if/when the problem happens again.

ChrisWaters, Nov 14, 2017
Thema:

When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor

1. When attempting to unlock console, just seeing movable mouse cursor - Similar Threads - attempting unlock console

2. Mouse Cursor when Screensharing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mouse Cursor when Screensharing: When I wirelessly project my screen, my mouse cursor shows on the screen but doesn't move with me, however, it moves on my screen and you can see where it's traveling on the shared screen, BUT the cursor that is showing on the screen isn't moving. What do you suggest?...
  3. Mouse Cursor when Screensharing

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Mouse Cursor when Screensharing: When I wirelessly project my screen, my mouse cursor shows on the screen but doesn't move with me, however, it moves on my screen and you can see where it's traveling on the shared screen, BUT the cursor that is showing on the screen isn't moving. What do you suggest?...
  4. How to fix black screen with non-movable cursor?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to fix black screen with non-movable cursor?: I have been getting a black screen with a non-movable cursor almost every single time after I close my laptop. I have found that forcefully restarting it works but it keeps happening. While this isn't something I would ordinarily complain about, it has started to affect my...
  5. How to fix black screen with non-movable cursor?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to fix black screen with non-movable cursor?: I have been getting a black screen with a non-movable cursor almost every single time after I close my laptop. I have found that forcefully restarting it works but it keeps happening. While this isn't something I would ordinarily complain about, it has started to affect my...
  6. Black screen before login with movable cursor (help)

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Black screen before login with movable cursor (help): So after booting up the PC the Windows logo finishes loading and I assume the black screen occurs on the log in screen. I can move my cursor around and the blue loading circle flashes as well. This first happened a few days ago and I recall my PC working perfectly fine the...
  7. HDR Mouse cursor not changing, difficult to see

in Windows 10 Customization
    HDR Mouse cursor not changing, difficult to see: So without HDR enabled if I move the mouse cursor from a dark area to a white area, such as this text box or a notepad, the cursor automatically changes from a white arrow with a outline to a black capital I icon making it easy to see. When I enable HDR in windows the...
  8. I cant see my mouse cursor...nor does the mouse works.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I cant see my mouse cursor...nor does the mouse works.: Aight here's whats the problem... Couple days ago i uninstalled and reinstalled my intel hd graphics driver and after restarting my mouse doesnt seem to move. The lights under the mouse powers up and after a while disappears. Also it isn't flickering. But my keyboard works...
  9. Gray screen with movable cursor after resetting PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Gray screen with movable cursor after resetting PC: My PC was running slowly, so I just tried to reset it by using the Windows 10 installed application "Reset my PC". After it was done loading, when I tried to boot it, it just boots to a gray screen, where I can't do anything other than move a cursor around. I also cannot boot...
  10. I can't see my mouse cursor when using google chrome

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    I can't see my mouse cursor when using google chrome: For some reason whenever I open chrome I can't see my cursor. I can still use it and click on stuff, I just can't see it. This only happens when I use google chrome. I don't use a mouse, just my the touch pad on my laptop. Thank you, Michelle...