Windows 10: When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...

Discus and support When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi. A few days ago I noticed something I've never seen before in my Windows 10 system: There are a few apps that start at startup that (a) I did not... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DBaker1972, Aug 17, 2018.

1. When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...

Hi.

A few days ago I noticed something I've never seen before in my Windows 10 system: There are a few apps that start at startup that (a) I did not set to start up, (b) never started up before, and (c) do not appear in the list of "Startup" items within the Windows Task Manager. I'll give three examples:

(1) Every time I boot up (or reboot) my PC is one particular text file (for which there is a link on my desktop, if that's of any relevance).

(2) Only starting today (but not starting at boot-up yesterday) is Microsoft Edge.

(3) An old app that I use to backup files called "CopyTo". It's vintage (maybe 10 years old), but in general it appears to function fine, and I use it every day to back up my files from my primary drive to another drive. (It may be irrelevant, but just in case: CopyTo is a free file/folder comparison program that can be configured to compare folder A on drive X to folder A on drive Y and tell you which files or folders have changed, then giving you the option of copying the revised files from drive X to drive Y.)

Anyone have any idea (1) why these particular things would open at startup, (2) what, if anything, I can do to stop this behavior?

Weird, huh?

Hopefully,

David

:)

DBaker1972, Aug 17, 2018

2. App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Hi Hitkary,

It seems that there is no default app set to open these kind of files. Can you still recall the type of app or program that opens this kind of file?

For us to isolate this issue, we suggest assigning a default app or program to open it. Follow the steps below:

• Open Settings and click System.
    • Click Default apps.
    • At the bottom, click Choose default apps by file type.
    • Scroll down and look for the .e8d549184 file.
    • Once found, click the + sign on the right and select the app you want to use.

Once you've successfully set the default app, try opening the file again and let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Aug 17, 2018
  3. Hitkary Win User
    App to open .c6e0ec and .e8d549184 files

Thank for your reply. But problem is to set default app, there is only one option "look app for this file in app store" and there is no app in app store that can open the file.

Hitkary, Aug 17, 2018
  4. mystvearn Win User

When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...

Open file location is missing in pinned apps

Yes. This is the one. Weirdly it now shows all the recent files after update. Maybe that has something to do with it. I did not do anything at all.

Thank you again. I guess the problem is solved.

mystvearn, Aug 17, 2018
Thema:

When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not...

1. When booting, apps/files open that I didn't set to start up *and* those apps/files are not... - Similar Threads - booting apps files

2. "the app didn't start"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "the app didn't start": hello ! so i have a problem in my pc wheen i launch a windows package appx or windows store it gives me the problem "the app didn't start" the microsoft store says "ms-windows-store: the app didn't start" and on packages installers it says "C:\users\PackageName.appx "the app...
  3. "the app didn't start"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "the app didn't start": hello ! so i have a problem in my pc wheen i launch a windows package appx or windows store it gives me the problem "the app didn't start" the microsoft store says "ms-windows-store: the app didn't start" and on packages installers it says "C:\users\PackageName.appx "the app...
  4. The App Didn't Start

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The App Didn't Start: Photos stopped working and I received "The App didn't start" prompt anytime I trying launching it. I followed a discussion with various methods of resolving the issue including, checking for updates, using the wsreset.exe, using CMD to remove photos on my PC and finally...
  5. The App Didn't Start

in Windows 10 Gaming
    The App Didn't Start: Photos stopped working and I received "The App didn't start" prompt anytime I trying launching it. I followed a discussion with various methods of resolving the issue including, checking for updates, using the wsreset.exe, using CMD to remove photos on my PC and finally...
  6. The App Didn't Start

7. Photo app error when opening files, The app didn't start.

Photo app error when opening files, The app didn't start.: hey all, i've been troubleshooting this issue for days and i'm lost. when i try to open an image file, the Photos app returns the error "The app didn't start." and then the app disappears. i've also discovered that i can't open Microsoft Store we use Store for Business, the...
  8. Photos App 'The App didn't start.'

Photos App 'The App didn't start.': 'Photos' gives me the source and address of the image but simply states, 'The App didn't start.' I have used Powershell to uninstall and reinstall the app. I have uninstalled the app and downloaded it again from the Microsoft Store. But still no joy. What can I do next?...
  9. App didn't start

App didn't start: My Microsoft photos app didn't start message show to me while photos open https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/app-didnt-start/5bb5cc0d-b690-45c9-a29e-a421bc54d606
  10. The App didn't start

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    The App didn't start: after i reinstall windows 10 this happens to me, when i open microsoft apps an error pops up saying ''The app didn't start ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches, How do i fix this i cant update my apps or use any microsoft apps......