Windows 10: When does Windows Defender scan?

Discus and support When does Windows Defender scan? in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; If I download an exe file from someplace, does Defender scan the file immediately for possible problems or do I have to request the scan? Alfred 2987 Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Alfred71, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Alfred71 Win User

When does Windows Defender scan?

If I download an exe file from someplace, does Defender scan the file immediately for possible problems or do I have to request the scan?
    Alfred

:)

Alfred71, Nov 18, 2014

2. Scheduled scans by Windows Defender not recognized by Windows Defender

I have a scheduled scan by windows defender in my task scheduler. When I review the task in the task scheduler window, it shows that the task complete successfully two days ago, however when I open Windows Defender it says that I am overdue for a scan.

It appears that the Windows Defender program does not recognize the automatically scheduled scan.

dick8299RichardHam, Nov 18, 2014
  3. Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons

Original Title: Windows Defender -- Is it active?

According to Settings Windows Defender is on but after reboots its brick wall icon does not show up in the area reserved for ^show hidden icons. Is Windows Defender actually on immediately after reboots or when the computer is powered back up after being
    turned off even if its Icon is not displayed when the ^show hidden icons is selected?

The Defender Icon does show up and then resides as a hidden Icon if I manually go to settings and select the "use Windows Defender" selection.

RandyDampier, Nov 18, 2014
  4. Tony K Win User

Welcome to Windows TenForums, Alfred71.

I can only attest using IE11. Although not absolutely sure, I believe other browsers use the integrated download manager. Defender does indeed automatically scan any type of file that one downloads when finished.

Download Manager - Microsoft Windows

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  5. Alfred71 Win User
    Thank you, that fully explains what I wanted to know.
    Alfred

Alfred71, Nov 19, 2014
  6. wptski Win User
    Doesn't prevent browser hijackers, I know that for a fact! *Sad

wptski, Nov 19, 2014
  7. Tony K Win User
    What AV is 100% sure that it does?

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  8. wptski Win User

Do we trial/error or listen to suggestions and/or failures?

wptski, Nov 19, 2014
  9. Tony K Win User
    A lot of life is trial and error. We listen to suggestions when there is a good one presented and/or failures when they are well explained instead of one-liner bashing of a product without explanation or proof.

Here’s another one for the OP > Never turn off SmartScreen Filter in IE.

SmartScreen Filter: frequently asked questions - Windows Help

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  10. wptski Win User
    A lot of life is trial and error. We listen to suggestions when there is a good one presented and/or failures when they are well explained instead of one-liner bashing of a product without explanation or proof.

Here’s another one for the OP > Never turn off SmartScreen Filter in IE.

SmartScreen Filter: frequently asked questions - Windows Help I was searching for a ESD to ISO not knowing of the one here yet. I found one at Dev-Host the file sharing site, a site where I've downloaded many files in the past for a now obsolete tablet. A ran the app, some kind-of downloader app appeared on my desktop and I removed it. I opened Chrome and I get a popup from "m.zhmlie.com" that my Java needed updating, click here. I closed it but it popped again, sometimes I could close Chrome before it came back, sometimes not. Open Chrome again, popup returned from "3b.zhmlie.com". After another cycle, a new window opened with audio, contact our reps to help you with your computer problems. I closed everything, ran Defender Quick scan, found nothing. Ran MBAM, found 39 objects, deleted all, opened Chrome and popups still came up.

Since I had made a PVHD backup using Paragon HDM15S a few days before, I restored to get rid of it. The very first time that I had to use a Paragon backup for that purpose.

I wouldn't even mention this but since people are being told that Defender is all you need, I spoke out. My first infection in four years.

wptski, Nov 19, 2014
  11. adamf Win User
    I'd expect​ a virus if I did that. Shows keeping backups is a good idea though *Smile

adamf, Nov 19, 2014
  12. Tony K Win User
    Let’s see > You “ran Defender Quick scan”, But “Ran MBAM” full scan? Which then found the culprits? Why didn’t you run Defender full scan? Another thing > Does Chrome have SmartScreen Filter? IE is important in that area.

I’ve had two instances of a virus since using Defender in its infancy way back in early W7 when they introduced MSE. I never thought or think today that any AV is 100% effective, but I’ll put Defender up against any AV product. What AV is 100% that it does catch everything? When you can answer that let me know.

Like I stated > A lot of life is trial and error. I’ll bet you don’t download from that site again. Obviously they can’t be trusted. I wouldn’t trust any of those file sharing sites. In fact I was in an 8F member’s site yesterday looking for a free small utility for my 10 that he introduced for 8.x, although I had the install of it on my 8.1 partition. I was curious to see how he was doing with his site. It grew in the past year and a half with all sorts of software and what I would consider to be some malware. As soon as it directed me to another page flashing “Download this” and “Download that” I was immediately out of there. I went into my 8.1 partition to get the utility.

This only goes to show one more time that WE are our best AV along with keeping a mirror of our system as I see you so wisely do.

BTW, Welcome to Windows TenForums. Enjoy your stay. *Smile

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
  13. LittleJay Win User

*Ditto

LittleJay, Nov 19, 2014
  14. wptski Win User
    Knowing how long it takes for a full scan which "might" fix the problem, I chose to restore a backup. Yes, Chrome has a phishing/malware option which was ON. I forgot to mention that IE was infected as well.

That's interesting! I was going to provide a link to the file at DEV-Host but when a Google search found it, got a 404 error at the site. Searched again and it didn't come up, no way. Okay, the whole site is down right now. Maybe I can provide a link for you later.

wptski, Nov 19, 2014
  15. Tony K Win User
    Probably the wise thing to do. Now you know what you have. It wouldn’t matter what AV is used, one is never really sure if something is left behind. It’s like buying a used car. One is never really 100% sure of what they have.

Perhaps the site got a virus. *Tongue

Thanks anyway. You need not bother. I wouldn’t open the site if you paid me to. *Wink

Tony K, Nov 19, 2014
Thema:

1. When does Windows Defender scan? - Similar Threads - does Defender scan

2. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates.Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% rightEarlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection, this...
  3. Defender Offline Scan does not scan

Defender Offline Scan does not scan: I am currently running a Win10 21H2 with all latest and greatest updates. Admittedly a German version, so I may not get the titles for all menues and options 100% right Earlier this week, Defender reported a .VBS script it had put into quarantine. Upon initial inspection,...
  4. Windows Defender History And Offline Scan Does Not Work!

Windows Defender History And Offline Scan Does Not Work!: Almost every time I run a scan, quick or full, it says that 1 threat found and action taken but when I check the history or allowed threats there is nothing there. I check the event viewer it does not have an ID that suggest that Defender found malware but when I try to run...
  5. Windows Defender does it scan archives?

Windows Defender does it scan archives?: Does Windows 10's Windows Defender scan archives by default ? I cannot find anything under options for "Archives specifically" so i assume its either on and can't be turned off, or it doesn't scan archives at all *.zip, *.rar, *.7z etc.. and compressed images .iso...
  6. Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments

Windows Defender: does it scan email attachments: Hi, I'm a newbie to tenforums, but old with Windows since the 90's. Hope you can give me a definitive answer to this question. I cannot find any evidence that WD has any interaction with email. In particular, you can no longer right-click on an email attachment to select...
  7. Windows Defender Offline scan does not work

Windows Defender Offline scan does not work: Hello, I was plagued by a malware infection, so I wanted to perform a Windows Defender Offline scan. I opened the Windows Security window (from the Settings panel) and selected "scan options". I selected Windows Defender Offline scan and clicked "Scan now". I saw a message...
  8. Windows Defender Offline scan does nor run

Windows Defender Offline scan does nor run: Yesterday, in the middle of an offline scan, I cancelled it to do something else. Now it won't run. From the Security Center select Advanced Scans, Windows Defender offline. Click Start Scan. Normal activity, Windows shuts down, black screen. Small Windows Defender Offline...
  9. Windows Defender Offline Scan does not work

Windows Defender Offline Scan does not work: With both the previous Fall Creator's Upgrade and now new Spring Creator's Upgrade Windows Defender Offline Scan works until a new cumulative update comes out. After the first cumulative update is installed, whenever I run a new scan, Offline Scan stops at the point where it...
  10. Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run

Scheduled Defender Scan Does Not Run: Quite a while ago I created a Scheduled Task to run a daily manual Defender Quick Scan. It worked fine until the recent Creator's Update/Defender Update (not sure which messed it). I know some things changed with Defender and its path but I can't figure out what to change...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. when does windows defender scans system