Windows 10: When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?

Discus and support When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Right when I opened the file explorer, I saw that my D: drive was just sitting there pinned in quick access. It had a blue question mark. So, then I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Ivan Clark1, Jun 11, 2024.

1. When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?

Right when I opened the file explorer, I saw that my D: drive was just sitting there pinned in quick access. It had a blue question mark. So, then I tried to go into where the drives live, it was only my /C: drive, this just started happening today. I went into Disk Management, to realize it was not there either.

:)

Ivan Clark1, Jun 11, 2024

2. D drive

Hi,

Based on the details you have provided us, it appears that there might be some corrupted contents on the said partition. We can also consider that this is caused by a virus.

For us to check if a certain virus is hiding your files, kindly follow the steps below:

• Type Command prompt in the search bar.
    • Type-in the following command:

attrib -h -r -s /s /d D:\*.*
    • Press Enter to execute the command.

If you think that there is nothing important stored in it, then we suggest that you reformat your D drive so that you can use the free space for important files.

You can follow the steps below to start with the process:

• Click on the File Explorer.
    • Select This PC.
    • Right-click on your D drive, then click on Format.
    • Follow the on-screen process to finish formatting the partition.

Let us know how it goes so that we can further assist you.

Engelsen Fad, Jun 11, 2024
  3. Doug575 Win User
    Windows Explorer Issue-Duplicate D:\ after relocating files

Thank you both for the assistance! For Keith: I created 2 new folders on the D:\ drive as you instructed: Documents and Videos, then I moved the associated files/folders as you instructed into the new folders. I've attached a screenshot of what the directory in Explorer now looks like (note the duplicate D:\ drives under 'This PC'.
    When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive? 55835d1640669330t-windows-explorer-issue-duplicate-d-after-relocating-files-screen-shot-explorer.jpg
    For the next step, I want to be sure that I make the correct changes in the registry (and I certainly don't want to make anything worse!). When I open the registry as you instructed, I see under Personal the current Value is D:\. Under My Video it is C:\Users\'my user initials'\Video. Are you suggesting that I rename Personal to D:\Documents, then change the value to the new 'string' that you suggested and rename My Video to D:\Videos, also inserting the new 'string' that you suggested? Again, many, many thanks for your assistance!

Doug575, Jun 11, 2024
  4. When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?

D drive is showing, but access denied.

Thanks for reaching out! I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user like you.

To resolve the "access denied" issue on your D: drive in Windows 11, follow these comprehensive steps to diagnose and fix the problem. These steps include taking ownership, running CHKDSK, and modifying the registry.

Step 1: Take Ownership of the Drive

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator:
      • Press Windows + X and select "Windows Terminal (Admin)" or "Command Prompt (Admin)".
    2. Take Ownership:
      • Type the following command and press Enter:

• This command will recursively take ownership of the D: drive, granting your user account the necessary permissions.
    Step 2: Run CHKDSK

1. Open Command Prompt as Administrator:
      • As in Step 1, open the Command Prompt with administrative privileges.
    2. Run CHKDSK:
      • Execute the following command:

• Explanation of parameters:
        • /f: Fixes errors on the disk.
        • /r: Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
        • /x: Forces the volume to dismount first if necessary.
    Step 3: Modify the Registry to Display the Security Tab

1. Open Registry Editor:
      • Press Windows + R, type regedit, and press Enter.
    2. Navigate to the Explorer Key:
      • Go to:

3. Check or Create NoSecurityTab:
      • Look for a DWORD entry named NoSecurityTab.
      • If it exists and is set to 1, right-click on it, select "Modify", and change the value to 0.
      • If it does not exist, create it:
        • Right-click on the Explorer key, select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value, name it NoSecurityTab, and set its value to 0.
    Step 4: Check Disk Management

1. Open Disk Management:
      • Press Windows + X and select "Disk Management".
    2. Check the D: Drive Status:
      • Locate the D: drive and check its status.
      • Look for any errors or unusual statuses (like RAW). If the drive shows as RAW, it may need to be formatted, but only consider this as a last resort due to data loss risks.
    Additional Tips

• Update Windows 11:
      • Ensure your system is up to date by going to Settings > Windows Update and checking for updates.
    • Use Third-Party Tools:
      • Consider using third-party disk management tools like EaseUS Partition Master or similar to diagnose and repair disk errors.
    Important: Backup Data

Before proceeding with any major changes or repairs, ensure you back up any important data from the D: drive if possible. Data recovery services should be considered if you suspect severe disk corruption or hardware failure.

If none of these steps resolve the issue, the problem might be more complex, potentially involving hardware failure or severe file system corruption. In such cases, professional data recovery services may be necessary.

Please do let me know if the method I suggested works for you or if you need further assistance.

Munkhbayar B., Jun 11, 2024
Thema:

When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?

1. When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive? - Similar Threads - got laptop tried

2. I already try everything but i just cannot find my d-drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I already try everything but i just cannot find my d-drive: My c-drive is fine but when i go to 'this pc' , it only shows c-drive. I remember the last time I checked, my d-drive is there.But after shutting down or restart my pc, its already gone.... Sometimes if I have luck on that day, the d-drive is there but if i dont have luck, it...
  3. I already try everything but i just cannot find my d-drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I already try everything but i just cannot find my d-drive: My c-drive is fine but when i go to 'this pc' , it only shows c-drive. I remember the last time I checked, my d-drive is there.But after shutting down or restart my pc, its already gone.... Sometimes if I have luck on that day, the d-drive is there but if i dont have luck, it...
  4. When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I just got on my laptop, I tried going into my file explorer, No /D: drive?: Right when I opened the file explorer, I saw that my D: drive was just sitting there pinned in quick access. It had a blue question mark. So, then I tried to go into where the drives live, it was only my /C: drive, this just started happening today. I went into Disk...
  5. When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol...: When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. What does this mean and how do I correct this problem?...
  6. When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol...

When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol...: When I look at my d Drive with File explorer I get a D Drive with the normal drive symbol with a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark. What does this mean and how do I correct this problem?...
  7. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Drive d is not showing in my file explorer: Today when I opened my pc.. It was taking so much time to start! I waited for an hour...but nothing happened I tried force shutdown and then tried to restarted it.. It start somehow.. But i found in my file explorer d drive was missing.. And when I checked disk management...
  8. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Drive d is not showing in my file explorer: Today when I opened my pc.. It was taking so much time to start! I waited for an hour...but nothing happened I tried force shutdown and then tried to restarted it.. It start somehow.. But i found in my file explorer d drive was missing.. And when I checked disk management...
  9. Drive d is not showing in my file explorer

10. Accidentally turned my D drive into my videos folder when i was trying to transfer files....

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Accidentally turned my D drive into my videos folder when i was trying to transfer files....: I followed the instructions in this post using RegEdit but that did not fix the problem. The D drive is acting as the videos folder now, and I can't figure out how to reverse it. I wanted to use my D drive for installing video games and storing my movies/shows, but I royally...