Windows 10: When is 10 not really 10

Discus and support When is 10 not really 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I had to work on a customer/friends PC today, where after an MS update, the Classic Shell would no longer work. His beautiful desktop with all his... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by TechnoMage, Oct 30, 2017.

1. When is 10 not really 10

I had to work on a customer/friends PC today, where after an MS update, the Classic Shell would no longer work.
    His beautiful desktop with all his program icons on it was just GONE.
    I won't go through all the details of how I tried to fix that, but finally when I looked at the possibility of doing a Factory Restore, I was horrified when Windows told me that it would restore the OS back to Windows 7. WTF???

This was on a Lenovo Desktop about a year old, bought with Windows 10 Home/64 installed.

All I could figure was that Lenovo had some old Windows 7 PC sitting around in the warehouse that they wanted to sell and they did an UP-grade on them to Windows 10 Home, so they could sell them as NEW PC's.
    How else could this debacle happen?

Well, I finally got the PC to where my customer/friend could use it, sort of, but it's sure not back the way he wants it.
    From everything I saw today, only a wipe and reinstall of Windows 10 will completely fix the problem.
    One more problem that I found....when a window is in full screen mode, I could not reduce it with the little icon it the upper Right Corner of the window. Clicking that icon did absolutely Nothing!

If you were that Lenovo customer, what would you do?

Maybe I could take a poll......

*Cool

:)

TechnoMage, Oct 30, 2017

2. W10 taskbar icons too small

That utility does JUST what I was looking for - thanks! Along with Classic Shell, I can get some of the same functionality and appearance that I'm used to and need in order to stick with Windows 10. Hope this helps a lot of other people out there.

In the end I didn't change any settings for the Taskbar Tweaker program, only went into Advanced Settings and changed the icon size. Beautiful.

Win10-10-10, Oct 30, 2017
  3. anz go money app

I have just bought first Lumia 532 need anz go money app but can't seem to figure out how to get the download

really not, Oct 30, 2017
  4. hondacrv Win User

When is 10 not really 10

did they buy from lenovo's official site? i know with some pc's on amazon they are _____ brand pc but their sold by someone else and a lot of times they "upgrade" them to being better in someway then what you could originally buy them for and then resell them.

if they bought from lenovo's site then id call and ask whats up becuase that aint right.

hondacrv, Oct 30, 2017
  5. With a PC that's over a year old, now, it's a little late to file a complaint. Eh?

I know he bought the PC over the internet, but I don't know from whom.
    I set the PC up for him, when he first got it, but I had no indication that it was a Windows 7 PC, upgraded to Windows 10.
    I think he's learned a lesson about buying a new PC, and so have I.

Personally, I build my own PC's and install the OS myself, so I know exactly what's in the 'Box'.

Thanks for you input,
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Oct 30, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    A clean install would be the way to go, since the Recovery Partition is Windows 7, there will be no reason to keep this partition. Wiping the whole drive and reinstalling, no matter how painful, would be the way to go.
    If you want to try and repair what you got, press the Win Key+X and choose Command Prompt (Admin). Type
    SFC /scannow and press enter. This will replace any missing system files.
    If that doesn't help, try Enabling the Hidden Administrator account, log out as the user and login as the Administrator. See if the computer is more responsive, if so, then Create a new User Account and copy the user files to it and use that account.
    Also, uninstalling Classic Shell, Restarting and Reinstalling it, should bring it back.

spunk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

When is 10 not really 10

1. When is 10 not really 10 - Similar Threads - really

2. Hi... I could really use somr Help,..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hi... I could really use somr Help,..: Hi... I could really use some Help, On the 5th of April, I awoke to my Dell8500, being on? This had happened the 4th also? But, it was only On. I always dsconnect from the Internet and shut my Desktop down, I went to my Desktop and try to see what it was doing. It was acting...
  3. Hi... I could really use somr Help,..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Hi... I could really use somr Help,..: Hi... I could really use some Help, On the 5th of April, I awoke to my Dell8500, being on? This had happened the 4th also? But, it was only On. I always dsconnect from the Internet and shut my Desktop down, I went to my Desktop and try to see what it was doing. It was acting...
  4. Hi... I could really use somr Help,..

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. My PC has 8-error and 11-warning in its Power Efficiency Diagnostic Report. is it really a...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My PC has 8-error and 11-warning in its Power Efficiency Diagnostic Report. is it really a...: Computer NameABScan Time2024-04-14T08:11:15ZScan Duration60 secondSystem ManufacturerDell Inc.System Product NameVostro 3559BIOS Date09/01/2020BIOS Version1.8.0OS Build19045Platform RolePlatformRoleMobilePlugged IntrueProcess Count212Thread Count2575Report...
  6. My PC has 8-error and 11-warning in its Power Efficiency Diagnostic Report. is it really a...

My PC has 8-error and 11-warning in its Power Efficiency Diagnostic Report. is it really a...: Computer NameABScan Time2024-04-14T08:11:15ZScan Duration60 secondSystem ManufacturerDell Inc.System Product NameVostro 3559BIOS Date09/01/2020BIOS Version1.8.0OS Build19045Platform RolePlatformRoleMobilePlugged IntrueProcess Count212Thread Count2575Report...
  7. My PC has 8-error and 11-warning in its Power Efficiency Diagnostic Report. is it really a...

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded...: Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded applications like Voice recorder:I Even reset my windows 10 laptop completely and nothing happened.I have tried Updating driversDownloading old driversDownloading new driversIncreasing it...
  9. Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded...: Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded applications like Voice recorder:I Even reset my windows 10 laptop completely and nothing happened.I have tried Updating driversDownloading old driversDownloading new driversIncreasing it...
  10. Windows 10 microphone really low when using browsers, but normal when using downloaded...