Windows 10: When is an external hard drive better than a NAS due to data security?

Discus and support When is an external hard drive better than a NAS due to data security? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Is connecting an external hard drive to my home network ever better than using a NAS (which would add about $300 to the cost of the external hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by CerebralFreeze, Feb 17, 2018.

1. When is an external hard drive better than a NAS due to data security?

Is connecting an external hard drive to my home network ever better than using a NAS (which would add about $300 to the cost of the external hard drive) due to fears of my data security?

I'm assuming that external hard drives do not have sophisticated security measures set up to protect people's data on the hard drive. So, that people can easily look into each other's folders and people can easily hack into the hard drive itself.

Is this true? Should I always use a NAS rather than an external hard drive?

I ask this question because I have a computer in which I want to back up daily. I would like to back it up on an external hard drive connected to my home network. But, I don't want other people in my family to get access to my folders.

Do I need to get an NAS instead?

:)

CerebralFreeze, Feb 17, 2018

2. Windows 10

If you want to keep data in Safe place, nothing is better than a hard drive, preferably external. The reason why not internal is that if the hard drive goes bad, you would not be able to recover the data.

External drives of 1TB start around 80 USD(converting the local rates here to USB) and if you have large amount of data, you can go for 2TB or greater.

Sumit Dhiman2, Feb 17, 2018
  3. Rich-M Win User
    Should I create a systen repair CD and a recovery drive??

Excellent suggestion BulldogXX to have off site backup drive either external Usb drive or NAS drive and to add to that you don't even need software to do that as a simple copy and paste of your important documents to another hard drive makes an excellent
    file and data backup.

Rich-M, Feb 17, 2018
  4. Berton Win User

When is an external hard drive better than a NAS due to data security?

A NAS drive relies upon settings in the Router it is attached to while an External USB drive connected to a computer relies upon the Operating System and its programs. I find the main advantage with a NAS drive is the capability of accessing it from any computer on the Network [Wired or Wireless/Wi-Fi] can access while a USB drive has to have the computer it is connected to running, same with printer sharing [mine are connected to the Router]. Some Routers have 1 or 2 USB ports but I haven't tried mine yet.

Berton, Feb 17, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    My router has a USB socket. I have an external 2TB HDD plugged into that and the router shares it on the network - no need for a computer.

The advantage of a NAS over my 'cheap and cheerful' network share it that a NAS allows you to use user password protection. I don't have other users on my network so that's not a problem for me.

6. I also have external drives with USB ports that I want to use and share with family members.

I was wondering the security capabilities of these external hard drives connected directly to routers so it that anyone on the network can directly access it.

CerebralFreeze, Feb 17, 2018
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Hey CerebralFreeze,
    It going to depend on your router, but most routers with USB File Sharing allow you to set the r/w access on the shares you setup and you should have at least two options ...
    1. Everyone - no user/pw
    2. Admin - router admin user/pw
    This should give you a couple of options ...
    1. Setup USB HDD - 1 partition and create a share with Admin Access for your backups
    2. Setup USB HDD - 2 partitions and create a share on each ... one for Everyone (to share videos,music,etc) and one with Admin Access for your backups

Note: Don't save the router credentials to Windows Credentials when asked or anyone with access to the PC can access the protected share.
    Note: Anyone that has the router admin user/pw can access to the protected share.

Eagle51, Feb 18, 2018
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

If the external HDD is formatted as NTFS, can't you also set folder and file level permissions using the NTFS security options?

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2018
  9. Berton Win User
    Good question, my last USB drive came formatted as exFAT [4TB] .

Berton, Feb 18, 2018
  10. Phone Man Win User
    Phone Man, Feb 18, 2018
  11. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

With an external USB -- if you are worried about security just unplug when you don't need it online -- if it's not on the network can't be hacked.

With a full blown NAS you can run an OS on it, you can run applications, you can back up any computer on the LAN, you can use it as an Internet gateway so you can control Internet access from within your home / office etc. If the NAS is running some type of Linux OS security will be pretty good anyway -- you are much more likely to get attacked via Windows and that's usually by opening emails with attachments, downloading software from all sorts of dubious places (in particular sites like those still flying "The skull and Cross bones" !! or opening things like .RAR,.ZIP, .EXE files without checking first what they contain.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. When is an external hard drive better than a NAS due to data security? - Similar Threads - external hard drive

2. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  3. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move data to external hard drive.: Hi. My computer drive is really unorganized. I installed a lot of bloat, put things in seemingly random files, and other stuff. I decided that I wanted to use a new hard drive. I have an external 1tb hard drive that I could move all of my drive's contents into. There is one...
  4. Move data to external hard drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  6. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

Recovering Data from External Hard Drive: Hello, My old Microsoft surface tablet recently broke, so I had the internal SSD removed and placed it in an external hard drive enclosure to try to recover the files that were on it. When I connect it to my computer, it gives a message saying D:/ is not accessibleIncorrect...
  7. Recovering Data from External Hard Drive

8. NAS Hard Drive Sizes

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    NAS Hard Drive Sizes: I have a 6 Tb NAS and it has two 3 Tb drives in it. If I wanted too, could I exchange them for larger capacity drives such as 2 10 Tb drives or or the NAS fixed to being able to address 3 Tb drives? 144993
  9. Is Avast Secure Browser better than Chrome?

Is Avast Secure Browser better than Chrome?: Can someone tell me if ASB is better than Chrome? I am considering uninstalling Chrome but is it worth it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/is-avast-secure-browser-better-than-chrome/69a22ed1-e2e6-4d20-a4f1-026ed5eb6b4a
  10. When is a dedicated computer server better than a NAS?

When is a dedicated computer server better than a NAS?: My understanding is that a NAS is sort of the middle between an external hard drive and a computer server. It has CPU power that an external hard drive doesn't have but it's nowhere near the power of a computer server. It seems that NAS's are getting pretty popular and I...