Windows 10: When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting

Discus and support When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; Recently I have had an issue of whenever I open a game, regardless of platform e.g steam, the audio stops completely. Everything is mute, the game,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by ImNotAMeme, Feb 23, 2024.

1. When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting

Recently I have had an issue of whenever I open a game, regardless of platform e.g steam, the audio stops completely. Everything is mute, the game, browser, any other applications but the problem fixes itself if I restart my headphones. I have tried another headset to see if the issue persists and it still happens. I have uninstalled drivers and reinstalled everything and I still have the problem. Any idea what could be wrong

:)

ImNotAMeme, Feb 23, 2024
  2. hr0201 Win User

"audio renderer error. please restart your computer" error youtube

And another thing to try:
    Update your audio drivers (strange that this would be necessary as there hadn't been any changes for me; but it usually is a good idea to have the latest drivers anyway).
    Note: We did have a PC whose audio stopped working and a BIOS update solved it. This definitely wasn't the root of the problem for that computer because it was working like normal before and there were no apparent changes (and the user didn't have administrative access). I'd recommend this as a last step. I've never had a problem with a BIOS update but prefer to do it only if there is a useful fix (and of course better to back up before).

Here's another solution that someone posted:
    Audio renderer error. Please restart your computer.
    I had the realtek error when using the installer, so I did these step and It Worked
    note: make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled
    < I don't know if this is necessary but that's what the poster suggested. - >

1.Go Open up device manager
    2. Go under sound,video, and game controllers
    3. Find Realtek High Definition Audio
    4. Right click and hit update driver
    << I would think just updating the driver would probably work, but if not (for instance if it's up-to-date) then you could try the following steps as well. - >>
    5. Browse my computer for driver software
    6. Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer
    7. Click Have Disk and hit browse
    8. Click on the Realtek HD Audio mod folder and look for win64
    9. Click on the HDXRT4 and click ok,
    10. Click Next and Yes
    After it is done, restart the PC

You should be good then and also make sure before doing these steps that you have driver enforcement disabled.

hr0201, Feb 23, 2024
  3. tiendat Win User
    The Ultimate Realtek HD Audio Driver Mod for Windows 10

I install complete. But I open speakers properties has stop woking *Frown When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting :(.

tiendat, Feb 23, 2024
  4. Nikhar_K Win User

When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting

Can’t hear audio while recording games or videos

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We will need some more information to help you with the appropriate troubleshooting steps. Please reply with the following details:

• How are you recording the games or videos?
    • When you say, “I can't hear anything” you are unable to get the in-game audio or your voice?
    • What is the make and model of the computer?
    • Which build version of Windows 10 is installed on the computer? To check type:
      winver in the search bar on the Taskbar and hit
      Enter.

If you are using Game bar to record the games or videos, I suggest you to refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows key + I to open
      Settings.
    2. Click on Gaming.
    3. Click on Capture on the left pane.
    4. Clear the check box for Record gaming audio only.
    5. Follow the same steps for Broadcasting.

Please reply with the status of the issue, we will be glad to help you further.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, Feb 23, 2024
Thema:

When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting

1. When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting - Similar Threads - opening game audio

2. All audio devices stop working until Audio service restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    All audio devices stop working until Audio service restart: As the title says, although a few details. I'm on the Galaxy Book 4 Edge, one of the new Snapdragon Elite laptops, and every once in a while, the audio just completely stops working. It doesn't matter if I'm using the built in speakers or bluetooth headphones, I just can't...
  3. All audio devices stop working until Audio service restart

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    All audio devices stop working until Audio service restart: As the title says, although a few details. I'm on the Galaxy Book 4 Edge, one of the new Snapdragon Elite laptops, and every once in a while, the audio just completely stops working. It doesn't matter if I'm using the built in speakers or bluetooth headphones, I just can't...
  4. When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting

When opening a game audio stops entirely until restarting: Recently I have had an issue of whenever I open a game, regardless of platform e.g steam, the audio stops completely. Everything is mute, the game, browser, any other applications but the problem fixes itself if I restart my headphones. I have tried another headset to see if...
  5. Pc Freezes with audio stuttering until it stops. Have to force restart

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Pc Freezes with audio stuttering until it stops. Have to force restart: Hello I have a fully updated windows 10 pc. It runs fine until I open a game sims 4 or house flipper 2 most commonly this hasn't been an issue until a few days ago where I will be playing and my screen will freeze, my pc is still running and audio keeps playing but staticy...
  6. Pc Freezes with audio stuttering until it stops. Have to force restart

Pc Freezes with audio stuttering until it stops. Have to force restart: Hello I have a fully updated windows 10 pc. It runs fine until I open a game sims 4 or house flipper 2 most commonly this hasn't been an issue until a few days ago where I will be playing and my screen will freeze, my pc is still running and audio keeps playing but staticy...
  7. Pc Freezes with audio stuttering until it stops. Have to force restart

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. A game won't open until I restart my pc.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    A game won't open until I restart my pc.: It doesn't happen to all of my games, only with one actually. I click on the game and the only thing it does is showing the loading circle but it goes away a second later and nothing else. It then opens when I restart my pc. It happened to another game a while ago but it's...
  9. A game won't open until I restart my pc.

A game won't open until I restart my pc.: It doesn't happen to all of my games, only with one actually. I click on the game and the only thing it does is showing the loading circle but it goes away a second later and nothing else. It then opens when I restart my pc. It happened to another game a while ago but it's...
  10. Audio not working until after multiple restarts.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio not working until after multiple restarts.: Whenever I switch on my laptop, the sound system almost never works. And by that I mean is I get NO sound at all. The headphones don't work, the inbuilt speakers don't work. Just silence. I wonder why it happens and have uninstalled and re-installed the drivers multiple times...