Windows 10: When replacing a damaged external hard drive

Discus and support When replacing a damaged external hard drive in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Damaged my external hard drive that I use to make backups of my File History. When connecting a new drive will it capture all the files or just where I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ewtruesdell, Oct 14, 2016.

1. When replacing a damaged external hard drive

Damaged my external hard drive that I use to make backups of my File History. When connecting a new drive will it capture all the files or just where I left off when using my old drive? Using Windows 10 anniversary. Thanks

:)

ewtruesdell, Oct 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 error message "The semaphore timeout period has expired"

Hi

A few possible reasons that cause this error when trying to access your external hard drive could be a damaged controller that's why the hard drive fails or there could be bad sectors on the hard drive that has damaged it.

Since you're unable to stop or safely removed the external hard drive, you may try uninstalling your external hard drive through Device Manager. Check out
    Uninstall or Reinstall a Device for the steps.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Vanessa Yar, Oct 14, 2016
  3. Ralf_G Win User
    WD Elements 1TB hard drive suddenly stopped working after 2 years

It is a sad reality that hard drives do fail. External drives can fail in three ways; the contents of the drive can be corrupted, the hard drive itself can suffer a hardware failure, or the electronics in the case can fail. Static discharge when plugging
    or unplugging the data cable is one way the case circuitry can be damaged.

The only potentially good news is that if it is the case electronics which have failed, the physical hard drive within the case is often still undamaged. The drive can be removed from the case (with varying degrees of difficulty) and either installed directly
    into a computer or into a 3rd party replacement external case. Opening the WD case will probably void any warranties on the drive though so its not something you want to do if you intend to get a warranty replacement drive from the manufacturer (or retailer).

Ralf_G, Oct 14, 2016
  4. Steve C Win User

When replacing a damaged external hard drive

I guess it will only copy the current version of your files since the older versions are only stored within File History. Can you extract the old file history folder from the damaged drive? If so you could copy it to the new drive and see if FH will recognise and add to the existing backup.

Steve C, Oct 15, 2016
Thema:

When replacing a damaged external hard drive

1. When replacing a damaged external hard drive - Similar Threads - replacing damaged external

2. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  3. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    replacing Hard drive: I bought a computer a while ago with the OS on a 200gb SSD. We've had nothing but troubles with space. I want to get a bigger SSD to salvage the PC, but I'm not sure how to move the OS over. A lot of forums/threads I've read seem risky, and the methods all seem varied. Anyone...
  4. replacing Hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Hard drive damaged

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive damaged: I'm not able to partition my disk inspite of repeated trials. Is it possible my HDD is damaged? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/hard-drive-damaged/489371b3-6aec-4830-9211-a9b21bf4c79c
  6. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Hard drive replacement: The Dell OptiPlex 3050 AIO with a 4GB RAM that I use has been slow. As I type this message, with just Firefox in use, the 84% of the memory is used according the the Processes screen. In fact last week, the system stopped and the blue screen appeared with a message 'Memory...
  7. Is my hard drive damaged?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Is my hard drive damaged?: [ATTACH] So I have several related questions on my profile and if you don't have an answer to this question the other questions will certainly help you to understand. So it is best to have a look. Now to the question should my hard disk really be damaged what else can I...
  8. Hard drive replace

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard drive replace: I had a corrupt Hard drive and sent my laptop off to be fixed. They have replace the failed hard drive and update the operating system. I have now lost everything, photos, documents etc. not that great with tech through some research I'm guessing everything was saved on my...
  9. Replacing hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Replacing hard drive: Hey guys! So recently my hard drive crashed and I can not get into my computer. My question is if I get a new hard drive, looking at a portable option for 50 bucks, how do I install Windows 10 on this new drive. I have never done this before and all help is appreciated!...
  10. Hard drive replacement

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Hard drive replacement: Hello everyone, I am shopping for a new PC from HP. I am thinking ahead of time so that I can be ready for when this happens. I know that over time hard drives begin to slow down and then eventually stop working. So in the future, what will happen when I replace the hard...