Windows 10: When to install drivers when re-installing Windows 10

Discus and support When to install drivers when re-installing Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have been having problems with Windows 10 Home and after searching around I found that the best course of action would be to reinstall windows.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by benpatten, Apr 16, 2016.

1. benpatten Win User

When to install drivers when re-installing Windows 10

I have been having problems with Windows 10 Home and after searching around I found that the best course of action would be to reinstall windows.
    Having created a USB with the install on it I want to start, however I had my PC made and delivered to me with everything installed including my Graphics card drivers ect. I have the disk for it, and I understand how to reinstall windows but what I don't know is when I would Install the Graphics Card drivers and whether an External Disk Drive would work when completing this process?
    I am nervous about reinstalling windows but I feel it is neccisary.

Thank you for reading, and help is appreciated.
    Ben *Biggrin

:)

benpatten, Apr 16, 2016

2. Windows 10 - power button still on after shutdown

So it worked when you first installed Windows 10, then you re-installed (which means the drivers are gone) and now it doesn't work?

Did the computer originally come from the factory with Windows 10 installed?

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Apr 16, 2016
  3. Hanns3163 Win User
    Why does windows 10 make me re install my sound card drivers windows wants to update ?????

That sucks.... Why does windows 10 make me re install my sound card drivers windows wants to update ?????

Why does windows 10 make me re install my sound card drivers windows wants to update ?????

Hanns3163, Apr 16, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Welcome Ben to Ten Forums. You could make a backup of all your installed drivers 1st. Also makes a complete image backup of your Windows OS too before doing your re-install of Windows. If you choose the Repair Windows method Ben, then you will not lose any personal files or installed 3rd party programs. Only thing you might want to do is whatever 3rd party AV program you may be using is to remove it 1st before repairing your Windows 10. Here are some links Ben, and suggestions.

For making a backup for all your Windows Drivers:
    Create a folder on your flash drive or any internal or external drive: Drivers
    Open Admin command prompt and run: Dism /Online /Export-Driver /Destination:X:\Drivers
    Replace X with the drive letter of your drive.
    Or use the freeware: Driver 4.1 Backup Download
    http://www.techspot.com/downloads/61...le-driver.html

Link for doing a Repair install for your Windows:
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

Here is the link for Macrium Reflect for making a complete image of your current Windows 10 OS
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Hope this helps you Ben
    Mike *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 16, 2016
  5. ARC
    Arc Win User
  6. Windows Update will bring you most drivers. I usually let Windows Update handled them all except my video card, which I install manually before getting the rest of the updates/driver.

DeaconFrost, Apr 17, 2016
  7. OldMike65 Win User
    Everyone seems to have different opinions on this subject. Me included. I've seen cases where letting Windows update your drivers, can mess up your computer quite nicely. On the link you provided Arc its good to show the user on how to Turn OFF getting driver updates from MS. *Smile

BEST method is to get them from the manufacturer of your Computer. HP, Acer, Dell... etc. That's why once you've installed your Windows 10, and have it running well, backup your existing drivers, to a usb drive or any 2nd drive or external drive. Just incase Windows decides to update one of your system device drivers to a OLDER driver, which I've seen it do.

Of course its always the users choice, on which they would rather do, trust the manufacturer or Let MS decide on what drivers should be updated on their computer. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 17, 2016
  8. ARC
    Arc Win User

Hi Mike. *Smile

If it is a laptop, some drivers are must to use from the OEM manufacturer's site. Specially the driver to the dedicated graphics (powered by Optimus), and the touchpad and WLan too, to have their full functionality.

For a custom built desktop PC like that of benpatten, the drivers obtained form windows update does not cause a big difference, rather they are more stable. During BSOD debugging, I have never seen storahci.sys or usbxhci.sys is causing a single issue on themselves; whereas the vendor supplied alternatives cause a great lot of issues.

Moreover, when the OEM manufacturer or the motherboard manufacturer stops providing driver updates for a particular model, windows update saves the life of the system.

Yes, drivers from windows update may be unstable, seen a few time for the drivers to the peripheral/auxiliary devices; and that is the same for drivers supplied by the vendor or manufacturer.

9. benpatten Win User
    Okay, thank you all for the replies. I don't have an optical drive in my pc, but I can use an external one which plugs in using USB. Once I've re-installed windows, will I be able to re-install my drivers using that?
    Also, at what stage would I put the disk in?

benpatten, Apr 27, 2016
  10. ARC
    Arc Win User
    An Optical Disk Drive is not needed to reinstall windows. A USB Flash Drive is enough.
    If you have the windows ISO: Use Rufus.
    If you dont have it: Use USB Media Creation Tool.

An ODD is not needed to install the drivers, too. Get the drivers directly from the OEM/ Motherboard manufacturer's website and install it; or get the drivers via windows update. Forget that you have a disk containing drivers. Those are not only old drivers but also containing lots of bloatware which may cause a number of issues.

11. OldMike65 Win User
    Actually don't even need Rufus either, as 7-zip will copy all the files to any USB drive (formatted fat32) just fine. Or any program that can view ISO files. WinRAR is another type. This method is also MUCH faster Arc *Smile Try it sometime.

OldMike65, Apr 27, 2016
  12. ARC
    Arc Win User
    A clean install using 7zip? How will it boot from the installer?

13. OldMike65 Win User

Boots just fine Arc without using Rufus ....done it many times since I learned this method. Just need to COPY all the files inside ANY ISO to the USB drive....then boot to it, its just that simple. TRY it ....*Smile

(ISO has to be bootable ....and it works just fine. )

OldMike65, Apr 27, 2016
  14. ARC
    Arc Win User
    OK, definitely I will try.
    Copy the files of the ISO in a USB drive, boot from the USB drive, and done?

I never knew about it.

15. OldMike65 Win User
    YES Arc You gotta try this.....you'll love it, plus its faster too!!!! Does not work on DVD drives, only for USB drives. *Smile

OldMike65, Apr 27, 2016
Thema:

1. When to install drivers when re-installing Windows 10 - Similar Threads - install drivers installing

2. Microsoft Installer assume an driver is still installed when it's not.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Microsoft Installer assume an driver is still installed when it's not.: So to get a clearer picture, I installed a third party driver for PS3 controller through msi. When I decide to reset my laptop as a routine clean up, I did not uninstalled the msi prior to the reset. After the reset, I proceed to reinstall the driver but was greeted with this...
  3. Re-install a clean windows 10, when Boot Loader is "ON".

Re-install a clean windows 10, when Boot Loader is "ON".: Hi, Does anyone KNOW, how to reinstall WINDOWS 10, clean, from a USB KEy i've got, on a PC that shows BOOT LOADER at startup ??? See picture below. I only need to re-install the windows system, on one of those volumes. Any idea ? I'm lost. And no complicated code to...
  4. Drivers not found when installing windows 10

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Drivers not found when installing windows 10: I’ve bought a “msi modern 14” with i7 10th gen and it only has 3.0 ports and no cd, how can i install windows eithout getting the error? I don’t have 2.0 ports....
  5. Drivers re-installing

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Drivers re-installing: Trying to uninstall a driver. Go into device manager, select the driver (tp-link wireless card) and uninstall, then when i reboot it is reinstalled, even when i scan for hardware changes it has reinstalled it self with out a reset. Trying to do it because I'm chasing some...
  6. Partition question when re-installing windows

Partition question when re-installing windows: Windows 10 version 10.1.18363 build 18363 Hi all ! I want to re-install windows over an old setup which has started crashing. I have not done this for several years and I think the setup procedure has changed a bit. At the point of the setup where I have to pick the...
  7. Partitions when re-installing windows 10

Partitions when re-installing windows 10: I want to re-install windows 10 but when I go into the setup there's a list of partitions, i'm re-installing off a usb. Does anyone know if I should delete al of the partitions if i'm looking for a fresh start or whether to keep one and so on. I've been told to delete and re...
  8. New Driver Installs for Re-Installation of Windows 10?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New Driver Installs for Re-Installation of Windows 10?: Recently I've re-installed Windows 10 on my machine due to some technical difficulties and I also chose to removal all settings, personal files, etc. As of now, i'm re-adding all necessary and personal items on my computer for mine own use and that of the proper...
  9. When will Windows 10 Install?

When will Windows 10 Install?: I have several computers. All of my Windows 8.1 computers received their upgrade on July 29th. However, my Windows 7 computer has not. Actually, I see that the files are on the Windows 7 computer hard drive waiting to install, but Windows Update says only that Windows 10 is...
  10. Have To Re-install Applications When Upgrade?

Have To Re-install Applications When Upgrade?: do I have 2 re-install all my applications I have running on windows 7 PC when I upgrade to windows 10? 19262