Windows 10: When to install with Administrator

Discus and support When to install with Administrator in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm trying to set up my first windows 10 maschien with my development environment. And as I'm new to Windows 10 I'm asking myself to when... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by MPREv2, Mar 28, 2018.

1. MPREv2 Win User

When to install with Administrator

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up my first windows 10 maschien with my development environment.
    And as I'm new to Windows 10 I'm asking myself to when to install with administrator account and when using the normal user account.

I'm on the way to install:
    * Java JDK
    * IntelliJ Idea
    * NodeJS
    * Notepad++
    * VirtualBox
    * Cygwin

How do I know and sometimes it is even possible to install with both ... what does make the difference?

:)

MPREv2, Mar 28, 2018

2. How to correct misspelled name on Windows 10?

For those who don't see the "rename" option, it wouldn't work even if you saw it, if you're logged in as yourself (the folder would be in use). However, I did this for a user whose name was misspelled and now he gets a profile error ("can't sign you in,
    you've been signed in with a temporary profile") each and every time he logs in. There must be a solution other than his living with a misspelled name! Please advise, thank you.

System Administrator (administrator), Mar 28, 2018
  3. GeoffC136 Win User
    When is an administrator not an administrator?

Dear All

I have created a new local administrator account on my desktop. There are now only two accounts on the machine - me (with a Microsoft account) and the new local administrator.

Both continue to have the problem of being locked out of a number of administrative functions and being referred to the system administrator.

Regards

Geoff

GeoffC136, Mar 28, 2018
  4. When to install with Administrator

It all depends on the permissions in place on the folders and Registry keys the software installer writes to. Most software is
    installed in protected locations (for good reason) such as Program Files, and therefore the installer will require administrative access. Some software
    can be installed in the user account's own Profile folders and Registry section (HKCU hive), so can be done without such elevated privileges. Some installers are written so that they require elevation no matter where they end up putting the files. A lot of software does not require "installation" at all, and can simply have it's files placed wherever the user finds convenient.

kreemoweet, Mar 29, 2018
  5. MPREv2 Win User
    But the actual question still remains how do I know - in the past (older windowa versions) i even encounter installations that started fine as a normal user later fail on missing admin rights (or requesting it sometimes) and than fu*ed up the installation directories.

MPREv2, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

When to install with Administrator

1. When to install with Administrator - Similar Threads - install Administrator

2. "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires administrator privileges"

in Windows 10 Gaming
    "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires administrator privileges": I recently bought a Canon camera recently. However, I cannot download Digital Photo Professional 4, this is my very first time to download this program to my laptop and I always end up with the message "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires...
  3. "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires administrator privileges"

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires administrator privileges": I recently bought a Canon camera recently. However, I cannot download Digital Photo Professional 4, this is my very first time to download this program to my laptop and I always end up with the message "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires...
  4. "Installation program of Digital Photo Professional 4 requires administrator privileges"

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. PC Doesn't allow me administrator permissions after fresh install

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Doesn't allow me administrator permissions after fresh install: I am unable to change power management settings on my PC which I am an administrator on. I reinstalled windows 3 hours prior and I'm pretty sure it happened because of me disabling certain edge shortcuts...
  6. PC Doesn't allow me administrator permissions after fresh install

PC Doesn't allow me administrator permissions after fresh install: I am unable to change power management settings on my PC which I am an administrator on. I reinstalled windows 3 hours prior and I'm pretty sure it happened because of me disabling certain edge shortcuts...
  7. Can’t install program and told to contact administrator… but I’m administrator!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Can’t install program and told to contact administrator… but I’m administrator!: I’m trying to install a program on a PC DVD rom specifically a Sims 2 stuff pack but I immediately get a red error message saying “This app has been blocked for your protection- An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information contact the...
  8. Can’t install program and told to contact administrator… but I’m administrator!

Can’t install program and told to contact administrator… but I’m administrator!: I’m trying to install a program on a PC DVD rom specifically a Sims 2 stuff pack but I immediately get a red error message saying “This app has been blocked for your protection- An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information contact the...
  9. Can’t install program and told to contact administrator… but I’m administrator!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Eliminating wrongfully installed account/administrator?

Eliminating wrongfully installed account/administrator?: Originally set up a new computer using the wrong MS365 user account when I should have used the Family-level MS365 shared account for my wife. I've successfully added a standard local user account for her including a password & PIN. Do I remove the original wrongly installed...