Windows 10: When to open CD drive?

Discus and support When to open CD drive? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; I'm in the process of upgrading 10 to build 10586. At what point should I open the CD drive, before the first restart? THanks 46069 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by bertie11, Apr 2, 2016.

1. bertie11 Win User

When to open CD drive?

I'm in the process of upgrading 10 to build 10586. At what point should I open the CD drive, before the first restart?
    THanks

:)

bertie11, Apr 2, 2016
  2. Baily2002 Win User

CD/DVD drive won't auto play or display current files in Window 10

New computer with Windows 10. CD player doesn't auto play even though it is set to do so. Updated driver & was able to open first CD I used. Then back to same problem with any new CDs...nothing happens when inserted. When I try to manually open drive it
    displays files for original CD displayed and won't open current CD.

Baily2002, Apr 2, 2016
  3. uglio123 Win User
    CD/DVD drives opens automatically.

My cd/dvd roam keeps opening by itself.. when i close it, it will open by itself again after a few minutes.. the cycle goes on and on. How do you fix this?

Original title: What's wrong with my cd/dvd roam?

uglio123, Apr 2, 2016
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

When to open CD drive?

Hello bertie11,

I'm not sure what the CD drive has to do with upgrading to the next build of Windows 10 in Windows Update.

This is unrelated. Please provide more details.

Brink, Apr 2, 2016
  5. bertie11 Win User
    My apologies, you are not a mind reader!

I had created a DVD using the media creation tool as the 10586 upgrade wasn't available using Windows Update. I had previously attempted to install the ISO but the installation failed and I wondered if I had opened the DVD drive too soon, thinking that when the system rebooted it would start setup again. As it happens I think the failure was due to a corrupt download and so I downloaded the ISO again and this time the install to 10585 worked just fine.

So my question really was, when is the correct time to open the drive and is the drive accessed after the initial loading?

Thank you.

bertie11, Apr 2, 2016
  6. strollin Win User
    The installer knows when to access the DVD and at what point the necessary files have been copied over so that the DVD is no longer accessed. The answer to your question is to leave the DVD in the drive until the installation is complete, then open the drive remove it.

strollin, Apr 2, 2016
  7. bertie11 Win User
    Nice and clear, thank you strollin. I had it in my head that I had read in the last couple of days somewhere on this site about opening the drive to avoid restarting the setup. Am I right in thinking this used to happen on earlier versions of Windows, or is it my age-raddled brain??

And thank you too Brink

bertie11, Apr 2, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

When to open CD drive?

If the computer has the bios set to boot from the DVD-Rom drive first, then when the computer reboots, it will indeed boot from the DVD-Rom drive and run setup from the disc in it. If that does happen, the user needs to remove the DVD and cancel the setup program to reboot the computer from the HDD or SSD.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2016
  9. strollin Win User
    Typically, when the BIOS is set to boot from the DVD drive, the user is prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD". If no key is pressed, then Windows moves on to the next drive in the boot order. You just need to ignore the prompt the 2nd time around.

strollin, Apr 2, 2016
  10. LMiller7 Win User
    I believe that booting from the CD always involved a prompt from the user. And this was good because OS installation often required access to the CD after the first reboot. Remove the CD too soon and you get an error message. This worked well for Windows 98 SE and later. But the original Windows 98 and earlier didn't come on a bootable CD because many computers of that era didn't support this as the standards had yet to be established. For these operating systems you had to initiate installation with a bootable floppy. A floppy boot was always attempted if a disk was inserted. OS installers typically prompted the user to remove a floppy disk and allowed time to do this.

LMiller7, Apr 3, 2016
  11. cereberus Win User
    For reasons that are unclear SOME PCs when installing or upgrading from a DVD or usb flash drive DO need the DVD or usb flash drive to be ejected after the install files have been copied and the PC reboots, OR ELSE they reboot the usb flash drive or DVd and start all over again.

The install environment is supposed to boot to hard drive second time but does not always work properly. Ejecting the removeable drive as it boots for the first time usually sorts this issue.

I know this is true as one of my PCs always exhibits this behaviour, and I have seen others occasionally show the same issue.

I have concluded it must be something in the bios that causes this behaviour, but no idea what.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2016
  12. bertie11 Win User
    Aha, I thought so, as I've had this on several systems over the years. And when I undertake a long, time-consuming upgrade like this I don't want to be wasting time unnecessarily as it can be a somewhat nail-biting episode!

So all the replies have been valid, thank you all.

bertie11, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Fafhrd Win User

When to open CD drive?

If performing an upgrade, as the OP said he was, then you must start the Setup from within the running OS you wish to upgrade from.

So it is booting from the HD in the first place.

There is no boot from the DVD involved, so no need to set the BIOS to boot from DVD - do nothing and leave the first boot device as the hard drive.

Ergo, no need to remove the DVD, or conversely, no need to leave in after first reboot either.

For even quicker installation of the first (copying files) phase of upgrade, so long as you have enough disk space , copy the \sources folder to the hard drive you are performing the upgrade on, remove the DVD, and run setup.exe from the \sources folder on the hard drive.

Fafhrd, Apr 3, 2016
  14. cereberus Win User
    True for an upgrade - but many do a clean install out of preference. I did not make that clear.

cereberus, Apr 3, 2016
  15. Edwin New Member
    I remember with Windows 7, if you didn't yank the usb stick out at first reboot, it could have started the installation process over again.
    I don't think that's the case with W10.
    Could depend on the machine.

Edwin, Apr 3, 2016
Thema:

When to open CD drive?

1. When to open CD drive? - Similar Threads - open drive

2. ”Working on it…” when I try to open a specific drive SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    ”Working on it…” when I try to open a specific drive SSD: When I open file explorer and try to open a specific drive SSD it just says “Working on it…” indefinitely. This all started when I was deleting large files off of it to clear up space. I can still view the drive’s properties and all that, I just can’t access anything on it. I...
  3. I cannot log in to One Drive - there's an error....Also I cannot get Start to open or use...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I cannot log in to One Drive - there's an error....Also I cannot get Start to open or use...: I cannot get Start to open any more. I cannot log into to One Drive. This is what shows up. In not a techie and need help. Very frustrated!Troubleshooting detailsIf you contact your administrator, send this info to them.Copy info to clipboard CopiedCorrelation Id:...
  4. I cannot log in to One Drive - there's an error....Also I cannot get Start to open or use...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I cannot log in to One Drive - there's an error....Also I cannot get Start to open or use...: I cannot get Start to open any more. I cannot log into to One Drive. This is what shows up. In not a techie and need help. Very frustrated!Troubleshooting detailsIf you contact your administrator, send this info to them.Copy info to clipboard CopiedCorrelation Id:...
  5. I uninstalled Bitlocker and my encrypted drive won't open.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I uninstalled Bitlocker and my encrypted drive won't open.: I had enabled encryption on one of my drives but now it won't open. When I try to open it, nothing happens. Even in system information, there is no BitLocker drive encryption option and drive encryption support says not supported. I am using Windows 10 Pro Education....
  6. I uninstalled Bitlocker and my encrypted drive won't open.

I uninstalled Bitlocker and my encrypted drive won't open.: I had enabled encryption on one of my drives but now it won't open. When I try to open it, nothing happens. Even in system information, there is no BitLocker drive encryption option and drive encryption support says not supported. I am using Windows 10 Pro Education....
  7. I uninstalled Bitlocker and my encrypted drive won't open.

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive: Hi experts, I'm encountering an issue with the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt on a specific drive and would appreciate your assistance in identifying the settings responsible for this behavior. When attempting to open any Excel file on my computer, files located on...
  9. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive: Hi experts, I'm encountering an issue with the "Open File - Security Warning" prompt on a specific drive and would appreciate your assistance in identifying the settings responsible for this behavior. When attempting to open any Excel file on my computer, files located on...
  10. Need Assistance with 'Open File - Security Warning' Issue on Specific Drive