Windows 10: When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?

Discus and support When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If it actually happens before July 29 (not likely) how can I determine if the Win 10 Home install file(s) have downloaded to my Win 7 computer? If its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CalBear37, Jul 17, 2015.

1. CalBear37 Win User

When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?

If it actually happens before July 29 (not likely) how can I determine if the Win 10 Home install file(s) have downloaded to my Win 7 computer? If its after July 29 I expect I'll get some sort of notification and option to install.

:)

CalBear37, Jul 17, 2015
  2. papasquee Win User

Can Windows 10 ISO file be used to upgarde Windows 7 Home and Windows 7 Pro?

I downloaded the Win 7 iso because I have 4 PCs to update. I used it to update win 7 Ultimate to Win 10 Pro.

Can I use the same iso to update Win 7 pro and Win 7 Home Premium? Or do I have to download Win 10 Home?

Original title: win 7 to win 10 upgrade

papasquee, Jul 17, 2015
  3. husky86 Win User
    Windows 10 Upgrade (from 7) - product key not working

Tried upgrading to Win 10 today from Win 7 (Home) by downloading the Windows 10 disc image (ISO File): Download Windows 10 Disc Image (ISO File)

At the very start of the upgrade process it asks for key code. When I put in my Win 7 code it didn't work (tried 3 times).

(If Win 10 is asking for a Win 10 code, I obviously don't have that.)

What to do...?

husky86, Jul 17, 2015
  4. BunnyJ New Member

You should get a notification that your system is ready for the upgrade before it's performed.

BunnyJ, Jul 17, 2015
  5. CalBear37 Win User
    Yes, I understand that. However, I don't expect to get the notice until after July 29 even if the upgrade files were downloaded earlier. Perhaps there's no plan to download them earlier. But if they were downloaded before July 29 is there a way I can tell if that has happened?

CalBear37, Jul 18, 2015
  6. caperjack Win User
    if it downloads and installs early, you will know ,as win10 and win7 are very different looking, its not going to download early and just sit there until the 29th, ,enjoy it when it comes *cake

caperjack, Jul 18, 2015
  7. CalBear37 Win User
    I don't believe it will install until it is told to do so. The Get Windows 10 says you'll get a notification when Windows 10 is ready to install. To automatically install a complete OS upgrade to a new OS is a bit much even for Microsoft. Yes they will require updates but that's a different situation. I suppose its actually unlikely the Win 10 files for any given customer will be downloaded before July 29 but if anyone on Win 7 or 8 Is actually going to get Win 10 on July 29 (say at 12:01 AM) it sounds like the plan is to download the files sometime before July 29.

CalBear37, Jul 18, 2015
  8. When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer?

Heya,

I think this is what you meant?

<snip> The app will download the installation files to your computer prior to July 29th. Windows 10 will not be installed automatically! Once your system is ready to upgrade, you can activate the installation or–if you choose to–do nothing and wait.<snip>

source: Windows 10 Release Day: Everything You Need to Know

Dragon

Dragonfyre, Jul 18, 2015
  9. caperjack Win User
    I'm,not really sure how its going to work , but I don't think we will all be able to download it on the same day for sure ,as for downloading the upgrade and hanging on to it till you decide to install it ,I don't see it working like that ,but it might ,,it is coming via windows updates ,and that's the way Win updates works now so you might be right

caperjack, Jul 18, 2015
  10. Vladimir Win User
    Call me hasty, but all my 4 compatible machines are already running Windows 10 and permanently activated!

Two of them were upgraded from 10166 and two were clean installed.

What's curious is that even the ones that I clean installed were automatically activated without the need of inserting any key during the process.

*Smile

Vladimir, Jul 18, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    Heck. I did the same thing with mine. I just didn't want to wait anymore so I pulled the trigger and so far I'm glad I did.

BunnyJ, Jul 18, 2015
  12. caperjack Win User
    mine is activated to,with a generic key ,and preview version number no longer shows on the screen ,but will it stay that way ,mine is an clean install from a win10 iso ,not sure what number, but done a few months back ,so its not an upgrade from an excising win8.1 or win7 ... so will it keep working after release date ,,, who knows for sure ?????????

caperjack, Jul 18, 2015
  13. Ztruker Win User

I'm waiting on my Lenovo Desktop, 8.1 Pro X64. I want to experience the full upgrade process to see how it works and what it looks like.

I already have 10240 running in a VM and on my Toshiba laptop. Curious to see what happens to them too.

Ztruker, Jul 18, 2015
  14. CalBear37 Win User
    Yes. "The app will download the installation files to your computer prior to July 29th." And I'm wondering how I can determine that has happened. A large file somewhere, a special "hidden" folder, whatever. Its not a big deal, just curious.

CalBear37, Jul 18, 2015
  15. CalBear37 Win User
    So here's my plan. I have 2 computers one running Win 7 and a dual boot Win 10, the other running Win 8. Both are set to "automatically update" in the early AM. I'll have the Win 7 and Win 8 running over night and look for a large download each day which should warn me that Win 10 will be ready go soon. From what I've read this could be on the 29th or days even weeks later. I reserved on the Win 7 computer very soon after it was available to do so. Perhaps that will give the Win 7 computer an advantage.

Being on the fast track for Win 10 updates I should be able to boot that on the 29th and get the final version relatively soon. Or, perhaps, 10240 with the updates we're getting regularly is already the final version.

CalBear37, Jul 22, 2015
Thema:

1. When will Win 10 Home download to my Win 7 computer? - Similar Threads - Home download computer

2. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  3. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues: Trying to upgrade a PC with Win 7 ultimate installed to Win 10 home purchased from MS. However after downloading the home s/w it keeps trying to install Win 10 pro. Any ideas?...
  4. Win 7 ultimate upgrade to Win 10 home issues

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clean Install Win 7 HP with Win 10 Home: Good afternoon, I gave my Sister a Win 7 HP SP1 [ Genuine ] Laptop a few years ago which she now doesn't use, and knowing my Sister, there will be a LOT of junk on there. I am getting it back at some stage over the next couple of weeks and I would ideally like to just Clean...
  6. connect win 10 computer to win 7 computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    connect win 10 computer to win 7 computer: Hello, I am trying to transfer files from my windows 7 computer to my windows 10 computer. I do not know why this is so difficult. I need to transfer the files before I upgrade to windows 10 on the win 7 computer, I am exhausted with all of the settings, this should be...
  7. Win 10 computer cannot access Win 7 computer

Win 10 computer cannot access Win 7 computer: This was working for a while, but no longer is (as typical). I did have to reinstall the OS on the Win 10 computer, nothing changed on the Win 7 computer. The Win 7 computer shows up on the network, but if I click on it says "unable to access". Discovery in the options is...
  8. win 7 ultimate to win 10 home

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    win 7 ultimate to win 10 home: I bought a product key for win 10 home. Upgrading win 10 ultimate only offers win 10 pro. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/win-7-ultimate-to-win-10-home/7f60e015-276d-4c68-8650-d7d411138a0c"
  9. Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity

Win 7 and Win 10 Home Network Oddity: I have two desktop computers on an Ethernet Home Network. Computer 1 is a Dell Inspiron 530 (April 2009) running Windows 7, Network: L: \\INSPIRON530A Computer 2 is a Dell XPS 8920 (July 2017) running Windows 10 (build 1803), Network: L: \\DESKTOP-Q01G00A Home Networking did...
  10. Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer

Share Win 10 Home Hard Drive with Win 7 Pro Computer: Due to a power surge I recently had to upgrade my wife's Win 7 machine. She had been running an old LGA1156 mobo and when it was impractical to replace the mobo I figured why not just get her an 8th gen I3? I soon figured out that those 8th gen processors don't play nicely...