Windows 10: Where are the logs for a full drive format located?

Discus and support Where are the logs for a full drive format located? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I just ran a full format of a new 2tb hdd. The full format is supposed to scan for bad sectors. So how do I know the results? The format ended after 6... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sleepless, Oct 20, 2016.

1. sleepless Win User

Where are the logs for a full drive format located?

I just ran a full format of a new 2tb hdd. The full format is supposed to scan for bad sectors. So how do I know the results? The format ended after 6 hours but gave zero notifications afterwards. Where can I see the results of the format/health of the new drive?

The only 2 entries I found in the Event Viewer didn't show any details:

Information 10/18/2016 11:50:25 PM Virtual Disk Service 3 None
    Service started.

Information 10/19/2016 6:26:03 AM Ntfs (Microsoft-Windows-Ntfs) 98 None
    Volume \\?\Volume{d9ebb662-be36-4e67-81ec-35f632bf918d} (\Device\HarddiskVolume8) is healthy. No action is needed.

:)

sleepless, Oct 20, 2016
  2. BulldogXX Win User

"Where are the development logs for windows 7, 8, 8.1 that will list this as a problem and fix it before the release of windows 10? "

Anyone want to guess what "this problem" is?

BulldogXX, Oct 20, 2016
  3. "Where are the development logs for windows 7, 8, 8.1 that will list this as a problem and fix it before the release of windows 10? "

Shouldn't somebody have known that this was going to be the same with windows 10? They had the developer logs and change logs from windows 7, 8, 8.1. shouldn't this problem be listed?

gordondecker, Oct 20, 2016
  4. kody Win User

you just download the hddsentinel softwear. and you will get HDD health and temperature of current HDD

5. sleepless Win User
    So what's the point of running the full format for 6 hours then?

sleepless, Oct 20, 2016
  6. kody Win User
    i think you didn't chose quick format

7. sleepless Win User
    No I didn't because every guide says to do a full format for a new drive to test for bad/weak sectors. So why do this if you can't see the results? Also why do this test which takes 6 hours if HDSentinal can see all this instantly?

sleepless, Oct 20, 2016
  8. CountMike New Member

There's no much of a point in full format and HDD Sentinel doesn't do it instantly, it only looks at SMART table, If you let it do surface test it will work long time too.
    In windows CHKDISK can do same thing with immediate results visible.
    How to Scan Fix Hard Drives with CHKDSK in Windows 10
    So, running full disk format is most cumbersome way to check disk for bad sectors. May I also ad that things were same in other, earlier windows versions, not particular for W10.

CountMike, Oct 20, 2016
  9. sleepless Win User
    well, now i know. with a new hdd, it's best to do a quick format in windows, then run a full surface test with a 3rd party software afterwards.

sleepless, Oct 22, 2016
  10. CountMike New Member
    Believe or not but every hard disk has bad sectors, addresses of which are written in their firmware so SW and OS don't even know about their existence. Once upon a time, HDDs came with list of bad blocks printed on them and you had to write their exclusions in fat table.

CountMike, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where are the logs for a full drive format located? - Similar Threads - Where are logs

2. Security log full

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Security log full: Hi. I'm running windows 11. upon logging into my laptop i get a message that says my security logs are full and only an admin can log on to correct the issue. My admin is also unable to log in . If i could get past the log in screen to connect to my VPN my admin can fix it....
  3. Formatting during boot drive reinstall. Is it a full format really?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Formatting during boot drive reinstall. Is it a full format really?: I recently reinstalled windows using a boot drive usb. During the process I formatted and deleted the partitions and drives so only one remained, where I installed Windows. My question is, why does it format so quickly? I click format and it seems to do so instantly....
  4. Where is this Icon located at?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is this Icon located at?: I know where most of Windows 10 Icons are located at, but this one I can't find. [img] I've looked everywhere, imageres.dll for a start and 9 other .dll files that have icons sets that I know of. I can't find this one. Hopefully someone might know where it's hiding at....
  5. Where are my snip & sketch SS located/where is the clipboard located?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where are my snip & sketch SS located/where is the clipboard located?: It says it was saved to the clipboard. Where then is access to the clipboard? i understand i can choose to save it yet again from this pop-up if i catch it on time, but why would i bother since it's already saved for me? tyia [ATTACH]...
  6. PC full format of all drives

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    PC full format of all drives: My pc has been having problems and wanted a clean start so i decided to remove everything through windows reset now it's stuck at resetting this PC 99% for more than 3hrs. Should i wait it out or just cancel it?...
  7. Where is this .ico located?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where is this .ico located?: Windows 10 - 1903 [img] The icon on the far left is the one in cannot find. I can only browse to the one on the far right when I choose "Change Icon" in properties for my shortcut. 146467
  8. Win10x64 1803: Full Format of Hard Drives Faulty?

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Win10x64 1803: Full Format of Hard Drives Faulty?: A few days back I got a slew of disk errors in Event Viewer and quickly backed up the drive in question and started testing it. Before that, I checked and the only errors in the SMART data were crc errors, which do not normally indicate a failing drive, especially in the...
  9. How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to do a Full format on a USB flash drive?: How do you Fully Format a USB flash drive correctly if you suspect there might be a problem with the drive? I know there are a few methods to Format a USB flash drive in Windows. In Windows...there's, This PC and Right click on drive/select format and theres also the Disk...
  10. Full format of my 'C' Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Full format of my 'C' Drive: I am just about to do a re-install of Windows 10 and am wondering if I can first do a very thorough clean-up of my 'C' drive first by doing a full format before carrying our the reinstall. I am just about to look for the USB stick with Windows 10 on it, I think that it...