Windows 10: Where are these folders coming from?

Discus and support Where are these folders coming from? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi everyone Does anyone know where these folders are coming from. They are all named MSIxxxx.tmp. They seem to be empty even when I deselect 'hide... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Justdave, Jul 25, 2015.

1. Justdave Win User

Where are these folders coming from?

Hi everyone

Does anyone know where these folders are coming from. They are all named MSIxxxx.tmp. They seem to be empty even when I deselect 'hide system files' in Folder Options. I delete them from outside of Windows 10 but they keep coming back. There are currently 21 of them! They are all dated today's date.

Where are these folders coming from? [​IMG]

Thanks,

:)

Justdave, Jul 25, 2015
  2. t8ntlikly Win User

Where are these documents

I have a couple (5 actually) Word documents that are showing up in the Office Hub, I want to delete these but can't find them to delete them. They are not in SkyDrive.

When i press on them all I am getting is the pin to start. Where the heck are these.

John

t8ntlikly, Jul 25, 2015
  3. Entegy Win User
    Where are these documents

In the Office Hub, swipe left or right until you get to the list of locations. Choose the "phone" location and from here, you can long-press documents to delete them.

Entegy, Jul 25, 2015
  4. linw Win User

Google/Bing for more info but these seem to be generated by failed updates (MSI=MS Installer).

5. Are you on 10.0.241 or 10.0.166 as your specs state?

There was a release that put files belonging in %TEMP% either in %LocalAppDATA% on on C:\.

What is going when around the same time as the files are recreated.

In File Explorer Search box, type

datemodified:‎07/‎15/15
    but enter the date the files were modified

You can also filter search by DateCreated
    datecreated:‎07/‎15/15

Then sort the results by the column (modified or created - you might have to add the columns)

Scroll down the results and find the mystery folders - look for anything else modified or created about the same time.

Slartybart, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where are these folders coming from? - Similar Threads - Where are folders

2. Where did this come from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did this come from?: Where did this filecome from?? I never used Remote Desktop Connection before... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-this-come-from/7ce9a3b4-82e7-4e23-a474-22a12e16839a
  3. Where did this come from?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did this come from?: Where did this filecome from?? I never used Remote Desktop Connection before... https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-this-come-from/7ce9a3b4-82e7-4e23-a474-22a12e16839a
  4. Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random Downloads. Where are they coming from, and where are they going?: Hi, can anyone help an issue I am having?When I first turn on my laptop I keep reciving notifications from my antivirus saying a file is being downloaded under a name of e36-68a-5743s2-as2 etc, or something similar. The antivirus is detecting nothing suspecious in the...
  5. Where are they coming from?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where are they coming from?: Under my temp folder, there seem to be a lot of files named ''scoped_dir'' and then a bunch of random numbers at the back of the folder names. I also noticed that all of these ''scoped_dir'' files were being created under my temp folder at the same time, as shown below, but...
  6. Where are they coming from?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where are they coming from?: Under my temp folder, there seem to be a lot of files named ''scoped_dir'' and then a bunch of random numbers at the back of the folder names. I also noticed that all of these ''scoped_dir'' files were being created under my temp folder at the same time, as shown below, but...
  7. Where are they coming from?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Where is this coming from? [Issue]

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where is this coming from? [Issue]: [ATTACH] Windows is telling me that I have 151 GB of apps and features on my C drive, but when I look into it I only have two apps that are above 1gb and less than 20 apps under 1 GB. What is taking up all this space?...
  9. Where does this come from?

in Browsers and Email
    Where does this come from?: Where does this come from? What program causes it? [img] 79990
  10. Where does this come from?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where does this come from?: Anyone want to try this: Press and hold the right Alt key (keep holding it), tap the left Alt key momentarily, then tap the Tab key and tap Tab again to scroll through the XP style Tabs Menu, ... do you see a tab called Search Pane and does it bring up the 'Charms'...