Windows 10: Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please?

Discus and support Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please? in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Murphy's Law - my wife & I had just spent an hour or so checking out some Black Friday TV bargains & comparing three possible items. Just about to go... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Taffy078, Nov 24, 2017.

1. Taffy078 Win User

Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please?

Murphy's Law - my wife & I had just spent an hour or so checking out some Black Friday TV bargains & comparing three possible items. Just about to go ahead, clicked on 'Add to Basket' and the screen went black for several seconds. Then up came what appeared to be the usual MS message about installing a WU - don't touch the keyboard or words to that effect.

Made a coffee, looked at some TV and about an hour later when I looked again, my MS account sign-in screen (stage 2 - password) was showing. I thought it was the main WU Cumulative that failed earlier in the week but it wasn't. When I checked Update History there was nothing new added, my failed update was still showing and a check for updates brought up 'Up to Date.

Where can I look for details of this event please?

PS My first paragraph was for effect - I would have been in the deep doobies (a technical term) if the intrusion had caused my wife to lose the bargain - there were only two available. Fortunately there was one left when we got through again. *Party

:)

Taffy078, Nov 24, 2017

2. Where can i get info that how many languages supported by default in Nokia phone?

if you buy it in the UK, you would expect it to support your region's main languages or for Europe. for example, i am in asia-pacific region (australia) so the languages i have available to me are English, Pilipino, Tieng Viet and im guessing Japanase/chinese.
    so how many languages it supports depends on your region of course.

to check what languages are in your phone, goto Settings > PHone > Lanuage Settings> Phone Language (this is for S40 devices, no idea how to check in S60)

i hope this helps

adrianhughesNSD, Nov 24, 2017
  3. arthur_zh Win User
    Where can i get info that how many languages supported by default in Nokia phone?

Where can i get info that how many languages supported by default in Nokia phone?

If i buy it in UK,how?

Many thanks!

arthur_zh, Nov 24, 2017
  4. fdegrove Win User

Hi,

Well, it's called "Black Friday" for a reason.......

Have a look in "Event Viewer". That's where most of the stuff gets logged.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Nov 24, 2017
  5. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 24, 2017
  6. Try3 Win User
    Taffy,

You might also usefully look at update records in Event viewer -
    1 Applications and services logs, Microsoft, Windows, WindowsUpdateClient, Operational, Events - 41, 31 {41 = successful update downloads, 31 = update download failures}
    2 Windows logs, Setup {this records particular updates but not them all; it includes Event 4 restart warnings and Event 2 installation successful}
    3 Windows logs, System, EventSources - WindowsUpdateClient, Event - 19 {update installation successes only}

Notes

• I find the presentation of #3 quite easy to export then work with because the description pane's General tab identifies the update concerned [whereas #1 forces you to dig inside the Details tab and that tab is not exported].
    • Note that #3 includes updates to Apps making it, as far as I have been able to find out, the only place where App updates are identified.
    • I only find #2 useful if I'm chasing down problems after having found an update listed in #1 but not in #3. I do not yet understand what gets included in #2; no pattern is apparent.

Denis

7. good stuff, novice or intermediate users need to experience how to use the above.

python134r, Nov 24, 2017
  8. Taffy078 Win User

Thanks fdegrove (especially for the touch of humour!), Shawn & Try3. Some great stuff there and as python134r says, it's all stuff users like me need to experience'
    I had some of the info/links bookmarked, saved in a Favourites folder on my desktop but lost the lot when I had to do a clean install, thanks to a bizarre Fall Creators October WU, so I'm slowly rebuilding my 'library' of helpful advice.

Denis - I've exported all those reports and will now work my way through them.
    I try to be a 'glass half full' guy but it's difficult at times - it definately looked as if a Windows Update was about to be downloaded and if those reports enable me to confirm that, it might help to explain all the other big issues that I'm having with failed WUs. I must report them here next time and very much regret that I didn't.

Shawn - the only problem I had was when I clicked the link to get online help, it was sent to TechNet and every time I got a Page Not Found error - "search TechNet for more info". I don't know if that's something you'd want to deed back to your friends at TechNet, or whether it's a common problem of which thet're already aware.

Thanks again all - your help and empathetic response are much appreciated.*Party

Taffy078, Nov 25, 2017
  9. Taffy078 Win User
    Can I mark two replies as the Answer?

Taffy078, Nov 25, 2017
  10. Brink
    Brink New Member
    If you like, you might see if this below may help for that.

Source: Online Event Information

Brink, Nov 25, 2017
  11. Taffy078 Win User
    thanks Shawn. I'm still working through, in between updates and other time-consuming matters. Back soon.

Taffy078, Jan 5, 2018
  12. Taffy078 Win User
    Since my last reply, the problem has continued so I kept a log. I’m 90% sure it’s not an overheating issue – on some occasions the laptop had only been on five minutes. I then thought I’d isolated the common factors: playing Lightning Pool (a onemorelevel.com game) using Chrome so yesterday I stopped going to that site (even though it’s respectable) – whenever I went there, there was a second or two’s delay while it loaded Flash.
    But it happened again today. Here’s a snip of the history:

Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please? [​IMG]

I’ll add further info in a minute.

Taffy078, Jan 26, 2018
  13. Taffy078 Win User

Before I checked out the Event Logs as you’d previously suggested, I thought I’d first look into another issue - a huge number of TMP files I’d just found by chance in C:\Users\my name\App Data\Local\Temp. When I sorted them by Date, I was surprised to see this

Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please? [​IMG]

I can’t open those with the empty notepad icon. There are six aria-debug notepad items – I can open these but for now I won’t post a snip. Bearing in mind that my laptop shut down & restarted at 09:00, they all appear to me to relate to action taken by my laptop after it had restarted.
    But for me the interesting ones are those showing my laptop’s name, followed by the time and date. They all appear to relate to what has caused the problem, starting at 06:22, then 06:52 and finally 07:22 half an hour before the shutdown. It’s too long to post as a snip so I’ll get back in a moment with details.

Taffy078, Jan 26, 2018
  14. Taffy078 Win User
    Here's what the latest notepad before the shutdown shows.

Do these TMPs give you any indication of what might be causing the problem?

PS I have to say that at one point I thought the problem was due to my leaving the weight of my left hand pressed down on the bottom-left of my laptop, beneath which there's probably important bits and bobs.

Taffy078, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Where can I get info showing what caused my PC to restart please? - Similar Threads - Where info showing

2. What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?: Hey,My pc was built about a month ago and I have had no issues until now. I have gone through all the steps I know when it comes to troubleshooting software. I didn’t get anywhere so I decided to wipe the pc and redownload windows from a boot drive. It is still restarting...
  3. What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What’s hardware causes my pc to restart every few minutes?: Hey,My pc was built about a month ago and I have had no issues until now. I have gone through all the steps I know when it comes to troubleshooting software. I didn’t get anywhere so I decided to wipe the pc and redownload windows from a boot drive. It is still restarting...
  4. What is a windows security key and where can I get one?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What is a windows security key and where can I get one?: I want to be able to use a physical key to unlock my pc which is windows 10. So what do I have to do? Do I need to get an additional product or can I turn a usb drive to a security key?...
  5. What is a windows security key and where can I get one?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    What is a windows security key and where can I get one?: I want to be able to use a physical key to unlock my pc which is windows 10. So what do I have to do? Do I need to get an additional product or can I turn a usb drive to a security key?...
  6. What is a windows security key and where can I get one?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Where can I get this?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where can I get this?: Hi I'm currently working on a project which was given to me by my school. I did the project in the online PowerPoint and downloaded it. When I opened it up with my PowerPoint offline app I have PowerPoint 2016, I saw that there was a change in font- I applied the font...
  8. I tried to find out what caused this bluescreen, but I can't get the info out of Windbg.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I tried to find out what caused this bluescreen, but I can't get the info out of Windbg.: A driver causes sometimes when I restart my pc a "driver_power_state_failure". Here is the dmp file. https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ak4GtT140HDBnUOutU81Nd-2tjFz?e=aZeMNq...
  9. Where can i find my license info?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where can i find my license info?: May have to do a reinstall as i get new hardware next week. Aparently it ties to my email? biut i cannot for the life of me find out where that is. Thanks submitted by /u/ricflairandy [link] [comments]...
  10. Please help - how can I get Bluetooth on my PC?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Please help - how can I get Bluetooth on my PC?: I've tried everything for this; reading help pages, watching videos... but no luck. I am using Windows 10, 64 bit. It has a sticker on the front which says Intel inside. When I go in to Settings, then to Bluetooth & Other Devices, it seems to recognise other Bluetooth...