Windows 10: where did my desktop documents go?

Discus and support where did my desktop documents go? in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; in the recent update i lost all the documents on my desktop. only the apps survived. where are my important documents? i can't find them with a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RichardGoforth1, Jul 4, 2018.

1. where did my desktop documents go?

in the recent update i lost all the documents on my desktop. only the apps survived. where are my important documents? i can't find them with a file search. did the recent update just destroy my desktop documents?

* Moved from Insider

:)

RichardGoforth1, Jul 4, 2018

2. documents to go

If downloading and re-installing the Desktop Application does not help, allow me to suggest to additional resources from "Documents to Go":

David Scammell, Jul 4, 2018
  3. Downloads folder is the Documents folder

Hi Chris,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to Restore to Default the folders and document settings and see if it helps.

Step 1:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Download folder.
    • Right click on the Download Folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.

Step 2:

Please follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Go to Documents folder.
    • Right click on the Document folder and go to Properties.
    • In Properties go to Location tab.
    • In location Tab Click on Restore Default.
    After performing above steps change the settings as you required and check if it helps.

Hope these information helps, please get back to us for future support, we’ll be glad to assist you further.

Thank you.

Prabhavathi Patil, Jul 4, 2018
  4. marinro Win User

where did my desktop documents go?

Folder Freeze when trying to click on a Word Document. HELP

Hi there,

I came across a very weird bug/issue.

Use Case

Step 1: Create a word document on Desktop and name it TestFreeze

Step 2: Test that you can open the word document and write something like 'Testing freeze folder' ->save it

Step 3: Create a folder on Desktop and name it FreezeMe

Step 4: Copy 'TestFreeze' document in the 'FreezeMe' folder

Step 5: Open the 'FreezeMe' folder and select/click 'TestFreeze' document

Result: Folder Not Responding

Additional Information

I have run some tests and it does not matter:

• if it is a new or old Microsoft word file
    • if the document has content in it or not
    • if it has a long/short name or special characters
    • it does not matter the folder or the name of the folder in which you put the file in
    I also tried with an excel file and seems that I do not experience the same issue.

Microsoft version: 16.0.9330.2073

Windows version: 10.0.17134 Build 17134 with all updates up to date

If there is anything else I can provide to help sort this out, please do let me know.

Opened to any suggestions on how to fix this, as it is very frustrating.

Thanks

marinro, Jul 4, 2018
Thema:

where did my desktop documents go?

1. where did my desktop documents go? - Similar Threads - where did desktop

2. Where did my Bluetooth go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my Bluetooth go?: I dont have anything Bluetooth when I'm in my device manager at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-did-my-bluetooth-go/c73a03f7-6284-41b4-b5da-18c77484179e
  3. Where did my files go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did my files go?: I was in the process of moving some .package files to my mods folder cc for the Sims 4, and decided to take a shower while I waited for the files to transfer. When I came back, the pc was off, and my files disappeared. I looked everywhere for them. in folders, in different...
  4. Where did my Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders go?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where did my Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders go?: I can't get the stupid virtual assistant to get me to IT support even though I have a paid-for MS account!Anyway, here is the issue:Today, my Desktop, my Documents folder, and my Photos, etc. - all those folders are just GONE. Where the heck are they?...
  5. Where did my Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where did my Desktop, Documents, and Pictures folders go?: I can't get the stupid virtual assistant to get me to IT support even though I have a paid-for MS account!Anyway, here is the issue:Today, my Desktop, my Documents folder, and my Photos, etc. - all those folders are just GONE. Where the heck are they?...
  6. Where did my res go?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Where did my res go?: I updated my pc to find my res that I always use not there anymore submitted by /u/FoxGamzah [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/hraczj/where_did_my_res_go/
  7. Where Did My Sketchpad Go?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where Did My Sketchpad Go?: I ran the latest windows update on my surface and it seems that the Windows Ink Workspace is broken. I only have two options, and the sketchpad app that I use very often at work with coworkers/clients is gone. Do I need to restore and update again? Is this a known bug? Is the...
  8. Where did all my photos and documents go?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Where did all my photos and documents go?: Yesterday when I shut my computer down everything was fine. Today I turned on my computer and all my photos and documents are gone ,and my display background has changed. Where did all my stuff go and how do I get it back? This is a little unsettling. Is my computer that...
  9. Where did my backgrounds go?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Where did my backgrounds go?: For no apparent reason tonight my desktop wallpaper changed from a series of images that I have taken to a black screen. I opened the background settings to find a brand new layout staring at me. Digging through my C:\ drive I find no more trace of the backgrounds folder...
  10. Where did my Desktop shortcuts go?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where did my Desktop shortcuts go?: I opted to hide the desktop icons, via a right-click on the desktop but now I can't un-hide them - right-clicking on the desktop has no effect at all..!!? (???) duh.. *Redface 24678