Windows 10: Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

Discus and support Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So recently Windows 10 came out and I manually downloaded the Media Creation tool and started upgrading my PC BUT I had to turn it off and all of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by zablablukas, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

So recently Windows 10 came out and I manually downloaded the Media Creation tool and started upgrading my PC BUT I had to turn it off and all of the data that it downloaded has taken up my small amount of space in my SSD (I only have 16 GB left) can someone please tell me where does this tool store all of it's data so I could delete it.

:)

zablablukas, Jul 28, 2015

2. where does media creation tool store ISO file

Hi,

I was trying to create media on USB flash drive for windows installation on my other PC using windows media creation tool. It downloaded all the iso file and then it started the progress bar. Meanwhile my internet went down. There was an error and media
    creation tool was closed. Now when i restarted it, it can't seem to locate where is that ISO file already downloaded.

any help? Thank you.

adnanbasheer1, Jul 28, 2015
  3. where does media creation tool store ISO file

It's stored in temporary cache areas if you chose that option. Just choose to grab the ISO and then you can create unlimited USB media or DVDs from it.

Shenan Stanley, Jul 28, 2015
  4. Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

It sounds as though you selected the Upgrade This PC option. I'm not certain where the tool puts the data, but it's probably in a Temp folder (your's, Window's, Component Based Servicing's, Distribution downloads) or in a hidden $BT folder on C:\ - I really don't know ... it's a brand new tool. Some other member that has done this process will be of more help finding the data.

Regardless of where the data is stored, you need it to do the upgrade. I downloaded the ISO which is about 3.2 GB. If you decide to try again, that option asks you where you want to save the ISO. That way, you can put it on another drive and run the upgrade from it.

After downloading, the Media Creation tool presents burn to disc or flash drive. Go ahead and put the ISO to external media (disc or flash drive).

DO NOT boot to the media you just created. Instead, open the location (disc or flash drive) in File Explorer and double click setup from within Win7 or Win8.

The only way Win10 will activate is if you do the upgrade (install from within windows). I've tried almost everything I can think of to do it another way, but it looks as though MS sees Win10 and a key being entered and rejects all manually entered keys.

I got two different errors, one said the key was blocked, the other said click the [ Go to Store ] button and see if there's a valid key or purchase a new license - but when I did that, there was NOT a valid key,

Sooooo, MS has this fairly well figured out - you have to upgrade, the activation process if automatic, you do NOT have to enter a key. If it asks, press the skip link or do this later link. Windows will complete processing of the existing key (without you having to enter a key) . Once that is done, your device is 'known' to the activation servers. You can if, you choose, do a clean install after that

This is what MS has always said, but I had to bang my head against the wall *Wink

Slartybart, Jul 28, 2015
  5. Fafhrd Win User
    It is created on the drive(usually c:\) where your current windows folder is, in a hidden folder called c:\$Windows.~WS, before the final Windows.iso was created in a folder of your choosing.

You can unhide files in view, folder options, view, in file explorer.

It does not get deleted after the Iso is made and contains about 6GB of files because it contains both sources\Installx86.esd and a nested sources\Windows\sources\Install.wim windows images.

The Windows folder containing the install.wim seems to be identical with the contents of the final windows.iso.

If $windows.~WS is like $windows.~BT, you cannot delete it by normal means, but try first anyway.

If not, you can probably delete it by doing a disk cleanup. Right click the drive, select properties from the bottom of the list. In the general tab select disk cleanup, wait for it to calculate, then click clean up system files, wait again then while it finds all the update files - hopefully it will remove the folder then, and select OK to delete it.

Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2015
  6. Thanks,

I missed those folders - view gets mysteriously changed.

Press the Winky [ *Start ] and type Disk Cle, the top result should be Disk Cleanup ... right click that and run as administrator.

I tried it, but the 'special folders didn't show up in the list. the ~BT folder was deleted however. The ~WS foler is still there.
    No access issue when I just deleted the folder - in other words, you don';t have to muck around with security settings to delete it.

Thanks again Fafhrd

Slartybart, Jul 29, 2015
  7. Fafhrd Win User
    Well that's good to know, Slartybart. *Smile

Fafhrd, Jul 29, 2015
  8. Krawk Win User

Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

The tool is not very smart. After creating a 64 bit ISO I decided to ask the tool to create a USB image of BOTH versions (32/64) just because. With the 64 image being about 4GB, I decided to put a 16GB USB drive in place to hold the new version. So it downloads all the data and creates a bootable USB drive of just 5.4GB. What a terrible waste of a 16GB drive, so I unsuccessfully copy the 16gb to an 8gb drive. (the 8 turns out not being bootable) At this point the WS~ folder is 10GB in size so I figure cool, this should be quick. Nope - try again. The tool chooses to purge the data and re-download every bit all over again.

So folks, just to let ya know, an 8GB drive is ideal if you want to create a bootable usb drive and still have ample overhead for other essentials, such as latest graphics card drivers, motherboard drivers, a backup of your My Documents folder, Firefox and Thunderbird Profiles. Having not experienced a Win 10 fresh install yet, am not sure what layer of dot net framework comes stock. Previous Windows 7 install also included a copy of dot net 4.0 as some of the motherboard installers needed 2.5 or better.

Krawk, Jul 30, 2015
  9. Thanks for the details.
    The downloaded ISO files for each bit depth is a little over 3 GB - I did not download the combined (32 / 64) ISO, but the size you reported makes sense.

A few things about the steps you took after the USB drive was created.

You probably could have just set the the active flag on the 8 GB drive and then it would boot.

If you need both bit depths, either put the combined ISO on an 8 GB as you said. Or download both bit depths ISO, then put each one on a separate 4 GB flash drive. That wastes less space than the 8 GB drive.

There's no need to include anything else on the drive, Windows 10 is very good about supplying drivers. Any that are not supplied, you can get from the OEM. Installing old drivers on a new system doesn't make sense and some old drivers will cause issues on Win10. You did say the latest drivers but they aren't always the latest ....a year from now those drivers are out-of-date, so let Windows put the latest tested driver and update it as time goes along.

It's not a bad idea to have profiles or application configuration files on a flash drive and it's an excellent idea to have a backup of your personal data. I just wouldn't put that on install media (one is data backup, the other is software install)

.NET 4.6 comes with Win10 - the older versions have been depreciated. If an installer requires an older version, then it is not Win10 ready. Only a few installer packages looked back to .NET 3.5 during the Preview, so that's not something you need either. If the installer is not up-to-date, then the driver probably isn't either - you'll need to contact the OEM for a viable install package.

Neither of us looked in the WS~ folder so I can't know if it would have been an easy thing or not to just grab what was in there and manually put it to a flash drive - sorry 'bout that. I might do it again just to see though.

The tool downloads and creates install media or upgrades your machine. I'm glad MS made it available - try finding ISOs for XP, Vista or Win7 (Win8 uses a similar tool). It's a very base tool - some tools aren't smart - a hammer will drive a nail or smash a thumb equally well *Wink

Slartybart, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Fafhrd Win User
    I think it is a rather clever tool, but it has many functions within.

It produces a windows.iso tailored to your existing system and OS, and obtains among other things, the activation status of your system, Product code, your hardware and software details.

I think if you try to produce an all in one (x64 and x86 versions) USB, You may well have problems with it.

As far as tool for this use goes, it is like using a screwdriver as a circuit continuity tester for your home electrics. Bang! Yep, we have continuity, but we lost the screwdriver, and the operator!

The ~WS folder contains some interesting stuff to give you an idea of how it works.
    First the structure (made using the tree command in Windows 8.1 cmd.exe):

Code: tree /A c:\$windows.~WS > c:\Treecopy\trees\tree-of-$windows.~WS.txt notepad c:\Treecopy\trees\tree-of-$windows.~WS.txt[/quote] Code: C:\$WINDOWS.~WS \---Sources +---Panther \---Windows +---boot | +---en-gb | +---fonts | \---resources +---efi | +---boot | \---microsoft | \---boot | +---fonts | \---resources +---sources | +---dlmanifests | | +---bitsextensions-server | | +---en-gb | | +---microsoft-activedirectory-webservices-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-bluetooth-config | | +---microsoft-windows-com-complus-setup-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-com-dtc-setup-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-dhcpservermigplugin-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-directoryservices-adam-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-iasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-ie-clientnetworkprotocolimplementation-migration | | +---microsoft-windows-iis-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-international-core-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-internet-naming-service-runtime | | +---microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-drm-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-msmq-messagingcoreservice | | +---microsoft-windows-ndis | | +---microsoft-windows-networkbridge | | +---microsoft-windows-networkloadbalancing-core | | +---microsoft-windows-offlinefiles-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-performancecounterinfrastructure-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-performancecounterinfrastructureconsumer-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-rasconnectionmanager | | +---microsoft-windows-rasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-shmig-dl | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-storagemigration | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-sxs | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-tapisetup | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-licenseserver | | +---microsoft-windows-textservicesframework-migration-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-unimodem-config | | +---microsoft-windows-winsock-core-infrastructure-upgrade | | +---microsoft-windows-wmi-core | | \---networking-mpssvc-svc | +---en-gb | +---etwproviders | | \---en-gb | +---inf | +---migration | | \---wtr | +---replacementmanifests | | +---en-gb | | +---microsoft-activedirectory-webservices | | +---microsoft-client-license-platform-service-migration | | +---microsoft-ehome-reg-inf | | +---microsoft-hyper-v | | +---microsoft-international-core | | +---microsoft-windows-appx-deployment-server | | +---microsoft-windows-audio-mmecore-other | | +---microsoft-windows-bth-user | | +---microsoft-windows-deviceaccess | | +---microsoft-windows-deviceassociationframework | | +---microsoft-windows-directoryservices-adam-client | | +---microsoft-windows-gameuxmig | | +---microsoft-windows-iis-rm | | +---microsoft-windows-mapscontrol-migration | | +---microsoft-windows-ndis | | +---microsoft-windows-network-setup | | +---microsoft-windows-offlinefiles-core | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-pnpmigration | | +---microsoft-windows-rasapi-mig | | +---microsoft-windows-rasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-security-ngc-localaccountmigplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-shmig | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-storagemigration | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-sxs | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-appserver-licensing | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-licenseserver | | +---microsoft-windows-textservicesframework-migration | | +---networkbridge | | +---printing-localprinting-replacement | | +---sebmigration | | +---sppmig | | +---usb | | +---windowssearchengine | | \---wslicensing | +---sxs | +---vista | \---xp \---support \---logging \---en-gb[/quote] The first interesting folder is Panther

Code: FOLDER C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther\ FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 2,839 diagerr.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 19,815 diagwrn.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 501,154 setupact.log FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 351 setuperr.log FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 26,644 windlp.state.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 26,644 windlp.state-old.xml[/quote] This is a snapshot of my Windows 8.1 installation revealing some interesting things.
    The XML files may be opened in a web browser or notepad, or a custom xml editor, the log files in notepad or any text editor.

I'll post back when I have explored further on copies of these files, not to risk their corruption - any digging around by other interested parties would be welcomed.

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  11. Krawk Win User
    That is pretty clever from the sounds of it, however Media Creation tool asks to "upgrade this PC now" or "Create Installation media for another computer." If what you're saying is completely accurate then I agree, I don't need the 32 version. See next paragraph as to why I would want both versions on the drive.

Call me old school but even back in the Windows 2000 and the XP days I would always have an iso available with the latest service packs integrated already so that if you were to have to install a fresh OS at a client's house, all you would need is their product key as the data (OS & Service packs) was already in hand. The extras folder I would always have on hand was less elaborate, perhaps the latest version VIA and Intel motherboard drivers, ATI & Nvidia drivers and whatever apps I deemed necessary at the time, perhaps Trend Micro's virus scanner and such. Nowadays Trend's virus scanner, Malwarebytes, still Intel & nvidia mobo, amd & nvidia graphics. Perhaps Realtek audio as well. Of course there were multiple versions of XP and 2000 so I had to carry the two most popular and hope they did not have a different variant.

Slartybart, you're probably right, I did not even think of the active bit. Still not thinking of a usb flash device as a drive, silly me!

Krawk, Jul 30, 2015
  12. Ztruker Win User
    I used a 4GB flash drive for Win 10 Pro X64 EN-US.

Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data? [​IMG]

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

Code: C:\$WINDOWS.~WS \---Sources +---Panther \---Windows +---boot | +---en-gb | +---fonts | \---resources +---efi | +---boot | \---microsoft | \---boot | +---fonts | \---resources +---sources | +---dlmanifests | | +---bitsextensions-server | | +---en-gb | | +---microsoft-activedirectory-webservices-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-bluetooth-config | | +---microsoft-windows-com-complus-setup-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-com-dtc-setup-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-dhcpservermigplugin-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-directoryservices-adam-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-iasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-ie-clientnetworkprotocolimplementation-migration | | +---microsoft-windows-iis-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-international-core-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-internet-naming-service-runtime | | +---microsoft-windows-mediaplayer-drm-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-msmq-messagingcoreservice | | +---microsoft-windows-ndis | | +---microsoft-windows-networkbridge | | +---microsoft-windows-networkloadbalancing-core | | +---microsoft-windows-offlinefiles-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-performancecounterinfrastructure-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-performancecounterinfrastructureconsumer-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-rasconnectionmanager | | +---microsoft-windows-rasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-shmig-dl | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-storagemigration | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-sxs | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-tapisetup | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-licenseserver | | +---microsoft-windows-textservicesframework-migration-dl | | +---microsoft-windows-unimodem-config | | +---microsoft-windows-winsock-core-infrastructure-upgrade | | +---microsoft-windows-wmi-core | | \---networking-mpssvc-svc | +---en-gb | +---etwproviders | | \---en-gb | +---inf | +---migration | | \---wtr | +---replacementmanifests | | +---en-gb | | +---microsoft-activedirectory-webservices | | +---microsoft-client-license-platform-service-migration | | +---microsoft-ehome-reg-inf | | +---microsoft-hyper-v | | +---microsoft-international-core | | +---microsoft-windows-appx-deployment-server | | +---microsoft-windows-audio-mmecore-other | | +---microsoft-windows-bth-user | | +---microsoft-windows-deviceaccess | | +---microsoft-windows-deviceassociationframework | | +---microsoft-windows-directoryservices-adam-client | | +---microsoft-windows-gameuxmig | | +---microsoft-windows-iis-rm | | +---microsoft-windows-mapscontrol-migration | | +---microsoft-windows-ndis | | +---microsoft-windows-network-setup | | +---microsoft-windows-offlinefiles-core | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-pnpmigration | | +---microsoft-windows-rasapi-mig | | +---microsoft-windows-rasserver-migplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-security-ngc-localaccountmigplugin | | +---microsoft-windows-shmig | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-storagemigration | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-sxs | | | \---en-gb | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-appserver-licensing | | +---microsoft-windows-terminalservices-licenseserver | | +---microsoft-windows-textservicesframework-migration | | +---networkbridge | | +---printing-localprinting-replacement | | +---sebmigration | | +---sppmig | | +---usb | | +---windowssearchengine | | \---wslicensing | +---sxs | +---vista | \---xp \---support \---logging \---en-gb[/quote] The first interesting folder is Panther

Code: FOLDER C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther\ FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 2,839 diagerr.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 19,815 diagwrn.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 501,154 setupact.log FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 351 setuperr.log FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 26,644 windlp.state.xml FILE 29/07/2015 14:27 26,644 windlp.state-old.xml[/quote] This is a snapshot of my Windows 8.1 installation revealing some interesting things.
    The XML files may be opened in a web browser or notepad, or a custom xml editor, the log files in notepad or any text editor.

I'll post back when I have explored further on copies of these files, not to risk their corruption - any digging around by other interested parties would be welcomed.[/quote] I must thank you for your Tree View. Using that as a guide, I was able to scan my HDD for the $Windows.~WS folder that was deleted by sticking the .iso into the ODD and walking away to get coffee. I came back, cancelled the install, as I only wanted to explore the disk contents. Cancelling the install forced a wipe of the folder. Oddly, the $Windows.~BT and inetpub(?) remained on the C:\ drive. These 3 folders are required to 'rollback' to the previous OS. I used Piriform's Recuva at first, unsuccessfully. I might not have given it a fair chance though, as I didn't look at it's CLI Options and such. Using Active@Undelete I was able to recover the folder and contents. Each tool had to run scans, both taking over 24 hours to complete as my HDD is 2TB. My final results were attained by running @Undelete from a boot disk(USB) and recovering from an image to another HDD, then rebooting and copy/pasting the $Windows.~WS folder to the C:\ drive.

I successfully reverted from 10 to 7. I have not given up on 10, but at this point, it is a hindrance more than a boon. No drivers for my expensive printers(yes, plural), Store Apps and Default Apps not launching/crashing(yes, ran TS's/FixIt!'s and RA from MS Support did not fix).

If it turns out this reply/post is misplaced, please move it to an appropriate spot, however this is relevant to many across several topics/threads: Unable to Rollback, Contents of $Windows.~**(because most Undeleters only scan for user files/file sigs, not folders+contents or in this case, system files), Installer Deleted my $Windows.~**...

TENFORUMS: WHY NO SPOILER TAGS!!?? WTH, get with the times, yo!!! I can't even do an html Show, Show/Hide!?
    <input class="spoilerbutton" type="button" value="Show" onclick="this.value=this.value=='Show'?'Hide':'Show';">
    <div class="spoiler"><div>
    Code: some code[/quote] </div></div>

Click the button to show code
    <div id="spoiler" style="display:none">
    Code: some code[/quote] </div>
    <button title="Click to show/hide content" type="button" onclick="if(document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=='none') {document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display=''}else{document.getElementById('spoiler') .style.display='none'}">Show/hide</button>

shaggygoblin, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data?

1. Where does Media Creation Tool store all of it's data? - Similar Threads - Where does Media

2. media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    media creation tool: how do i fix media creation tool it keeps crashing when i open it without any error https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/media-creation-tool/3740294e-2b85-48de-a678-e7f03ee46369
  3. WHERE is "Media Creation Tool" download for 8.1 ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    WHERE is "Media Creation Tool" download for 8.1 ?: 1 Dell XPS running Win 8.1 refuses to boot properly2 Attempted Refresh/Restore from Safe mode, only to be [mis] informed that "Your password is incorrect" despite multiple Hotmail Login's with NO problem ... WTH?!3 Forced to download ISO of Win 8.1 No Clue where my copy of...
  4. WHERE is "Media Creation Tool" download for 8.1 ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    WHERE is "Media Creation Tool" download for 8.1 ?: 1 Dell XPS running Win 8.1 refuses to boot properly2 Attempted Refresh/Restore from Safe mode, only to be [mis] informed that "Your password is incorrect" despite multiple Hotmail Login's with NO problem ... WTH?!3 Forced to download ISO of Win 8.1 No Clue where my copy of...
  5. Media Creation Tool

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media Creation Tool: I'm having an issue with the media creation tool where it won't install or even give me a list of usb drives at all. Even if I tried running it from inside the usb flash drive it still says the same thing "you need 8 gb of available space on Windows :C". I'm having this issue...
  6. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool: I figured out what the tool was, and I didn't like it. You made it sound sooooooo exiting in the license terms, but when I found out what it really was, I was not impressed. Way to go Microsoft. Way to go. You ripped me off of thinking it was something cool, but instead you...
  7. Media creation tool.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media creation tool.: Yes, I have successfully downloaded the tool and Windows 10. All I did was click on a link that someone posted and BAM the media creation tool and Windows 10 were downloaded! Thanks! *^^*...
  8. Where to place the Media Creation Tool

Where to place the Media Creation Tool: Ok, I use tethering/hotspot for my Studio Computer for internet. I need to use the Media Creation Tool. When I down it. Where should I put it? On my Desktop? Should I place it on the USB Flash Drive? And if not, when using the Media Creation Tool when I select USB drive will...
  9. Media creation tool

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Media creation tool: So i know i can use this tool to update my pc to latest but will i keep all my settings and preferences? Havent updated my pc in 3 years so figured this is a better way to do it. submitted by /u/AwesomePicMan [link] [comments]...
  10. Media Creation Tool and Data Loss

Media Creation Tool and Data Loss: Could someone please tell me how the Media Creation Tool selects the Flash drive for its use. I was creating a bootable USB drive for Windows 10 on a PC that had two removable drives in it. One was the 32GB USB flash drive I intended to use while the other was an 8TB...