Windows 10: Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7

Discus and support Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm secretary of a local sports club and I've always saved my files using layers of sub-folders, something that XP and Win7 allowed me to do. Not so... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Taffy078, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Taffy078 Win User

Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7

I'm secretary of a local sports club and I've always saved my files using layers of sub-folders, something that XP and Win7 allowed me to do. Not so Win 10 - when I saved and then copied into Win10, most of the folders were either lost, screwed up or dumped all over the place.

Here's how I did it in Win7: (Obviously there are more folders at the top level and many more sub-folders underneath.)

Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7 [​IMG]

My solution is to rename every sub-folder that only had a date so that eg under Agendas are now "Agenda 2015" & "Agenda 2016". This should work but the other problem I had is that some of what I saved went into This PC and others were 'taken over' by OneDrive, and I've no idea how/why.

I posted in the Microsoft Community as that seemed the sensible thing to do. One helpful insider suggested that I'd booted into the Start Screen [which doesn't allow folder hierarchies] instead of into the desktop and asked if I'd activated tablet mode (which I hadn't). But I want to end up with Folders in Documents. Another thought I'd not got used to W10's File Explore (which I haven't) and a third was a grumpy goat, picking holes. Horrid man.

At the moment I'm having to save everything to my desktop - that goes against everything I've been taught and I'm running out of space. *Confused*Banghead

Would someone please treat me as a complete idiot (which I'm beginning to think I am) and tell me precisely what I should do next? Insert memory stick, open 'This PC', then what please?

PS Someone suggested creating a network for the two PCs and simply drag the stuff across.

:)

Taffy078, Feb 2, 2016

2. Help W7 -> W10 (-> W7?)

From what I have read, the Win10 installation saves your version of Win7 that was the basis of the upgrade and allows you to revert back to what you had in the first 30 days. I suggest searching within Win10 for the method to do this.

Then you might go to Nvidia and download the new drivers for Win10 - if there are any.

I installed a Microsoft upgrade of NVidia drivers in Win7 for a laptop. The drivers were for my specific laptop, and yet they did not work.

Winuser822, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Win7 to Win10 upgrade

My wife's laptop came with win7. It was updated to Win10 during the free upgrade period. This week the laptop image got corrupted and would not boot. Sat spinning at the win10 startup.

I have since restore the laptop to factory settings unfortunately back to win7. Is there any way to recover the free upgrade to get back where we were?

[Moved from: Windows / Windows 7 / Windows update, recovery, & backup]

GaryRicher, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Barman58 Win User

The way that folders work is essentially the same in windows 7 and Windows 10. It's only the start menu that is changed

How you perform your transfer depends basically on how much data is involved

Will all your data fit onto a USB stick that you have access to ?

If so ...

• insert the USB stick into the system containing the windows 7 data
    • Open Two windows one for the windows 7 data and one for the USB
    • arrange/size the windows so you can see the Win7 data and at least a part of the USB
    • drag the Secretary folder from the Win7 Data to The USB

The system will copy the complete folder structure to the USB stick

Once that operation is completed ...

• move the USB stick to the Win10 system and open a window (if not automatically done)
    • Open a window to your documents folder
    • arrange/size the windows so you can see the USB stick at and least a part of the Documents folder
    • drag the Secretary folder from the USB to the documents folder

The system will copy the complete folder structure to the Documents folder

*Wink ).

Hope this explains things to your needs any questions post back and I'll try to help

Barman58, Feb 2, 2016
  5. Taffy078 Win User
    fantastic. Thanks ever so much. Easy-peasy so I'll now add it to my MS Community thread so that others will know how easy it is. Naturally I ID my source - it's just a pity that I can't paste your cool chimp!!! Much appreciated.

David, ex-Cardiff now in Yorkshire.

Taffy078, Feb 4, 2016
  6. Taffy078 Win User
    Is there a way to have a shortcut to my Documents folder on my desktop? There has to be as it's really crazy having to type Documents in Search every time! *Redface*Redface*Redface

Taffy078, Feb 4, 2016
  7. dencal Win User
    You can add Documents to the Start Menu by right clicking on Documents.

dencal, Feb 4, 2016
  8. Taffy078 Win User

Hello dencal. I tried that and all I got was 'Open File Location:

Taffy078, Feb 5, 2016
  9. Cliff S New Member
    I think he meant this:

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  10. Taffy078 Win User
    Thanks Cliff S, It worked. Thanks dencal.

And also thank to Brink - when I was searching around for a solution I found the answer to another problem, that despite everything I did, OneDrive was grabbing my documents. I followed his advice in his thread below and that's another problem solved. Good start to the day!

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

Taffy078, Feb 5, 2016
  11. Cliff S New Member
    You can also do it in the settings app if you don't want to use a tile. Go to Settings app>>Personalization>>Start>>Choose which folders appear on start(very bottom)

Cliff S, Feb 5, 2016
  12. Taffy078 Win User
    PS. Lots have asked in the Microsoft Community about the OneDrive issue. Not resolved there so I've created this thread:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...=1454745956372

To be fair to them, I've done this with several of the solutions that you guys/gals have provided and they've not removed my threads.

But it does show that this should be the 'go-to' forum, doesn't it.

PPS Thanks Cliff S for your follow-up

Taffy078, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where/How do I save in my new Win10 laptop backed-up files & from Win7 - Similar Threads - Where save Win10

2. How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11: I tried doing this using a bootable flashdrive from 2016. I then downloading the latest updgrade and tried to create a bootable flashdrive. Both attempts failed and yeah, I know free upgrades were terminated in 2016 or thereabouts. So, how can I upgrade?...
  3. How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I upgrade Win7 to Win10/11: I tried doing this using a bootable flashdrive from 2016. I then downloading the latest updgrade and tried to create a bootable flashdrive. Both attempts failed and yeah, I know free upgrades were terminated in 2016 or thereabouts. So, how can I upgrade?...
  4. Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Can i still use the win7 upgrade from my laptop to Win10 key on a new laptop.: Hi I had a laptop where I upgraded to the new version of Win10 from win 7 the laptop died, now I have access to a new laptop but don't have any of the keys from the upgrade, etc. Any suggestions I can use where I have a win7 key a new laptop that I can install win 10...
  5. Win10 reverted back to Win7

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 reverted back to Win7: A few years ago, I redeemed the free Win10 offer and upgraded my computer. Previously, I was using Win7 I believe the previous Win7 installation was kept on a petition on one of my internal hard drives, whilst the new Win10 installation was kept on my SSD. Just today,...
  6. New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?

New win10 system build, how do I activate from my old upgraded win7?: Hi, I'm building a new system and would like to use the license from my dismantled old system. The old system started with win7 and has been upgraded all the way up to win10 through the years. I purchased a "Windows 10 Home 64-bit Installation/Recovery Disc Only" to simplify...
  7. How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    How do I create a File History on/for a new laptop? Win10: I'm setting up a new Laptop but for the moment I'm keeping my old laptop. File History on my old laptop is an invaluable tool so how do I set up File History on this, my new laptop? PS Have I put this in the correct Category etc? I can't find any reference to File History...
  8. Save Backed up File

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Save Backed up File: How do I save a backed up file on my desktop to a flash drive in a USB port? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/save-backed-up-file/b5839709-49a0-4869-84f6-e709b0b7232c"
  9. Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10

Cannot Go back to Win7 from Win10: When i navigate to settings>Recovery>Go back to Win 7, I click the "Get Started" button but nothing opens or occurs at all. I am the only account on the PC with full admin rights. Attached is a screenshot of my user list [img] 57537
  10. How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?

How to ROLL BACK from Win10 to Win7?: I've decided not to use Win10 and wish to roll back to the original Win7 that was on the drive. Win10 has the old system backed up to the Windows.old directory...but is there a tool or application in Win10 to initiate the roll back? I know I can wipe and reload or use my...