Windows 10: Where is Dim Display in Control Panel?

Discus and support Where is Dim Display in Control Panel? in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey Guys, I just got a new system , I always had in power options in control panel to "DIM THE DISPLAY" and now in win 10 there is no option to dim the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by harleymhs, Feb 5, 2016.

1. harleymhs Win User

Where is Dim Display in Control Panel?

Hey Guys, I just got a new system , I always had in power options in control panel to "DIM THE DISPLAY" and now in win 10 there is no option to dim the display .. I thought it had to do with the Nvida driver .. or something like that ... Anyone know how to add this option? Thanks in advance!

:)

harleymhs, Feb 5, 2016

2. Where is Windows 10 "Dim screen after" control?

I have been researching this issue and have seen a lot of discussion of using powercfg.exe to change values of different GUIDs, but even after enabling dimming and setting the timer it doesn't seem to do anything but dim right before powering off.

• "powercfg -list" --> to get a list of current power plan GUIDs. Note/Copy the GUID for the plan you want to query.
    • "powercfg -aliases" --> to get a list GUIDs for plan sub-sections. Note/Copy the GUIDs for "SUB_SLEEP" and "SUB_VIDEO".
    • "powercfg -query <GUID of power plan> <GUID of sub-section>" --> to get all sections and values.

• powercfg /setacvalueindex SCHEME_CURRENT SUB_VIDEO VIDEOIDLE 120
    • Should set the idle value to 120 seconds.

I found a reference to a change done for Windows 8.1 where over on the Surface forums found a documented "design limitation" around the dimming feature no longer being configurable.

Where's the "Dim display after" power setting in Windows 8.1?

PS. If you search your registry for "17aaa29b-8b43-4b94-aafe-35f64daaf1ee", you will see the "dim display after" root, with each of the power plan GUIDs as children with each having values for "AcSettingIndex" and "DcSettingIndex".
    (MSDN Documentation)

DigitalRebel71, Feb 5, 2016
  3. Ross321 Win User
    Where is Windows 10 "Dim screen after" control?

In the power options settings, where is the time setting to dim the display?

I want to set the system to dim (not full shutoff) the display after 5 minutes... I see "turn off display after", but I do not see "dim the display after"

Where is Dim Display in Control Panel? [​IMG]

Ross321, Feb 5, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

There was a person asking the same question in this forum some time ago.
    The only options we can find in Windows 10 is to go to Power Options and manually change the brightness slide.

In my laptop keyboard, I have 2 keys, one with an arrowhead pointing left, and one pointing right.
    If I press the Fn key and hold > I can then adjust the brightness by pressing the arrowhead key point left for decreasing, and the other one for increasing.

I wonder if you have similar keyboard setup.

This ( the image on top left of the screenshot ) will appear if I use the Fn key + arrowhead key.

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
  5. caperjack Win User
    my acer switch laptop has it in notification lower right of the taskbar.. and it also has it in control panel/power options,bottom of the screen ..

caperjack, Feb 5, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    I have an Acer Aspire 774Z.
    I do not have that icon at the system tray.
    I do have that #3 on Notification but it is not practical. It has to go all the way to 100% before it goes back and starts at 0.

My Fn + Arrowhead key is the way to go, provider the user has the arrowhead keys on the keyboard.

davidhk, Feb 5, 2016
  7. caperjack Win User
    caperjack, Feb 5, 2016
  8. b1rd Win User

Along the same lines- There's also the 'Adaptive Brightness' feature that can be used / disabled. See HERE.

b1rd, Feb 5, 2016
  9. harleymhs Win User
    This is what im looking to ADD in my Power Options! There is a way to add it to the list! I did it in Win 7 ..

harleymhs, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Where is Dim Display in Control Panel? - Similar Threads - Where Dim Display

2. where is control panel in windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    where is control panel in windows 11: where is control panel in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-control-panel-in-windows-11/48e60140-134b-4c83-ae94-c0d0f61e8c8b
  3. where is control panel in windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    where is control panel in windows 11: where is control panel in windows 11 https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-control-panel-in-windows-11/48e60140-134b-4c83-ae94-c0d0f61e8c8b
  4. W10 Control Panel - display

in Windows 10 Customization
    W10 Control Panel - display: When I display Programs and Features in the Control Panel app and click on the drop down menu to display details, the display has the headings Name, Date, Type, Size and Tags. But only the Name and Size columns are populated with any information. The Date, Type and Tags...
  5. Where are the old Control Panel items?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the old Control Panel items?: Does anyone know how i can get the old Control Panel applets/menus in Windows 10 like Display and Default Programs? I know how to get the old Personalisation settings, i just wondered where the rest of the Control Panel pages have gone. Also btw sorry for the terrible...
  6. mail icon not displayed in control panel.

in Windows 10 Customization
    mail icon not displayed in control panel.: DEAR SIR, I'M USING WINDOWS 10 LAPTOP AND OFFICE 365.I HAVE A PROBLEM ON MAIL OUTLOOK PROFILE CREATION.IT WSNT DISPLYED IN CONTROLLED PANEL.PLEASE HELP TO GET THAT BACK....
  7. Where is the HDMI port in the Control Panel?

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Where is the HDMI port in the Control Panel?: My motherboard has an HDMI port on the back. It does not seem to work. I want to see if it enabled in the Windows Control Panel or Device Manager, but I cannot find it. Can anyone tell me where to find it? Thank you for your help. 43862
  8. Strange - where is control panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    Strange - where is control panel?: Have two laptops - installed Win 10 on old one a while back and now on my new one. On the old one, I have an icon for control panel - on the new one I do not and can find no way to get to control panel. Among other things, I want to disable my touch pad but can find no...
  9. where is the control panel?

in Windows 10 Support
    where is the control panel?: this is probably a dumb question, but I want to delete a program and can't find the control panel. I've looked in settings but don't see it anywhere. 13477
  10. Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10?

in Windows 10 Support
    Where is "Dim the Display" option in WIn 10?: Hey guys, I noticed today when I go to Control panel and go to Power Options, and edit plan settings, there is NO "dim the Display" option anymore. I have it on my Win 7 machine! Anyway to enable this feature in Win 10 Pro? Thanks! 37757

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dim display control panel