Windows 10: Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?

Discus and support Where is EXIF data stored in an image file? in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; Hello, There is often metadata stored with image files that are produced by digital cameras, things like camera model, GPS information, aperture size,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by jj1984, Jun 20, 2018.

1. jj1984 Win User

Where is EXIF data stored in an image file?

Hello,

There is often metadata stored with image files that are produced by digital cameras, things like camera model, GPS information, aperture size, whether the flash was on, etc.

Where is this info stored?

Is it in a header at the front of the file or a footer at the end?

If so, is it possible to open an image file that has EXIF metadata stored in it in a hex editor, copy the EXIF data, and paste it into the appropriate area of another image file thereby faking an image's metadata...

jj1984, Jun 20, 2018
  2. DaveM121 Win User

pictures and exif data in Windows

Windows provides a view of EXIF information stored in an image file that is sufficient for most users.

If you need a more detailed view of the EXIF data, why not download the free Adobe Bridge, which is the best free file manager especially written for Image management - it is available free form Adobe.com

DaveM121, Jun 20, 2018
  3. Nokia 6288 Exif data not captured

Bummer! We just bought 2 nokia 6288 phones and come to find out that the Exif data: Date Picture Taken is not captured. Is there a firmware update or something I can download? I wonder if I'm doing something wrong. My firmware version is 05.92 07-09-06
    RM-78

I've had several different digital cameras and they all store the date the picture was taken. This can be very useful since file create/modification date aren't always reliable. I also have some php scripts I use to post my pictures on a web site, and they
    make use of the Exif date the picture was taken.

The following definition for Exif does say that that the data may include (then the list). Note that the date/time the picture was taken is normally considered the most important element (I think). Anyway, is there some way to get around this??? Any clues appreciated!

Quote:

EXIF stands for Exchangeable Image File Format. It was developed by the Japanese Electronics Industry Development Association (JEIDA) in an effort to simplify and standardize the exchange of data between imaging devices and software. Exif is a variation of
    JPEG, used by almost all digital cameras to record extra interchange information to image files as they are taken. The type of information stored in a file varies by camera model, but it can include such things as date and time a photo was taken, resolution,
    camera settings used for the shot, amount of compression applied, color information, whether or not the flash was fired, shutter speed, name of the camera owner, and so on.

The only Exif fields I see being captured are Camera Model.

macmiller---01, Jun 20, 2018
  4. GWinAZ Win User

File Explorer EXIF data for .mpo files

When using File Explorer and looking at details, the EXIF data is not displayed for files with the extension ".mpo". These are 3D picture files that essentially have a second ".jpg" in the file, one for the left eye view and one for the right eye view.

I thought my camera wasn't creating the EXIF data but using an EXIF viewer I see all the data is there, just not displayed by Windows 7 or 10.

Some specific data are Date Taken, Camera Model, and Camera Maker.

These should be displayed for .mpo files the same as for .jpg files. Can this be fixed? If not, is there another folder viewer that would display selected EXIF data for .jpg and .mpo files?

GWinAZ, Jun 20, 2018
Thema:

1. Where is EXIF data stored in an image file? - Similar Threads - Where EXIF data

2. JPG Files Problem with exif data missing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    JPG Files Problem with exif data missing.: I have moved some jpg photos to another computer. When I checked 'Properties/Details' on some of them, all the camera data, i.e. manufacturer, shutter speed, ISO and f-stop, etc., has disappeared. Can it be recovered?...
  3. JPG Files Problem with exif data missing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    JPG Files Problem with exif data missing.: I have moved some jpg photos to another computer. When I checked 'Properties/Details' on some of them, all the camera data, i.e. manufacturer, shutter speed, ISO and f-stop, etc., has disappeared. Can it be recovered?...
  4. How do I see ALL EXIF data for file? Windows does not show "Orientation" EXIF data

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I see ALL EXIF data for file? Windows does not show "Orientation" EXIF data: I wish to look at the orientation data for images. While I can open these in a 3rd party viewer, I would prefer to see the EXIF before importing it into software. Photoshop, for example, will take the Orientation EXIF into account when it opens the file, but saving it will...
  5. How do I see ALL EXIF data for file? Windows does not show "Orientation" EXIF data

How do I see ALL EXIF data for file? Windows does not show "Orientation" EXIF data: I wish to look at the orientation data for images. While I can open these in a 3rd party viewer, I would prefer to see the EXIF before importing it into software. Photoshop, for example, will take the Orientation EXIF into account when it opens the file, but saving it will...
  6. Image Rotation and EXIF

in Windows 10 Support
    Image Rotation and EXIF: I'm aware of how EXIF values work to indicate how an image should be rotated to be right way up. But that runs into problems when using software that doesn't automatically orient images according to the EXIF values. What I want is to be able to fix images so that they are...
  7. EXIF data for Nikon D780 camera in File Explorer

EXIF data for Nikon D780 camera in File Explorer: Why I can't see EXIF data and the thumbnails images for the images made with camera Nikon D780? I can see all data for other cameras. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/exif-data-for-nikon-d780-camera-in-file-explorer/764ecc49-49bc-4e74-8e1f-7e6aa7bf8f3d
  8. Utility to timestamp photos by exif data?

Utility to timestamp photos by exif data?: I lean heavily on the Windows/Explorer file date and timestamp to sort jpg and other image files chronologically. This used to be easy when most of my photos were copied from a memory card, or directly from a phone. However, more and more of my photos are downloaded from a...
  9. Where are the codecs stored for image files

in Windows 10 Support
    Where are the codecs stored for image files: Since Windows 7 support ended on January 14th I've upgraded to Windows 10 Pro. I've got a lot of image files - JPEG, TIFF, Photoshop and Nikon raw files (file extension .NEF). My camera shoots both JPEG and NEF at the same time - so there are two files for every shot. To...
  10. Amending EXIF data

in Windows 10 Support
    Amending EXIF data: I am attempting to amend EXIF data of photo in Properties, Details. I can change Data taken, which usually includes time xx:xx, When, however, I try to include time in the edit, it's not permitted. Time is automatically defaulted to the current. Suggestions, please, how to...