Windows 10: Where is my Product Key if I want to re-install?

Discus and support Where is my Product Key if I want to re-install? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have an activated version of Windows 10 (obtained through the Insider program last year). My machine is beginning to get a bit slow, so would like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016.

1. tengeezer Win User

Where is my Product Key if I want to re-install?

I have an activated version of Windows 10 (obtained through the Insider program last year).

My machine is beginning to get a bit slow, so would like to do a re-install.

Now, since I don't have a traditional DVD box with the product key, how would I go about re-intalling Windows? Obviously I can burn the latest ISO build onto a DVD, but what about my product key? How would I activate it?

Thanks.

:)

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  2. MrMIKE3 Win User

I Need my Product Key to Restore Device - Where is it stored?

Hi,

I'm having trouble restoring my HP Stream PC. The restore function has an error so I need to restore from a new ISO, unfortunately, I don't have my Product Key that I got with the device ( 8.1 ) then I had the Free upgrade to Win 10 But I can't seem to get
    the code from my Microsoft A/c... does anyone have a solution? Thanks. Mike

MrMIKE3, Jun 9, 2016
  3. WayneRupp Win User
    I Need my Product Key to Restore Device - Where is it stored?

Hey MrMike3,

Your computer device acquired a Windows 10 digital license when it was upgraded from 8.1 to 10. That is a permanent license for your device's entire life that is stored on Windows Activation Servers.

If and when you ISO install Windows 10 again for any reason, you simply
    skip any inquiries for a product code during installation by answering (checking box) in the following manner.

1. I don't have a product code

2. Skip this step until later

After the Windows 10 installation completes on your device, it will self activate the digital license that is stored on Windows activation servers.
    You don't have to do anything...it is an automatic digital license reestablishment. That's the way it works. Makes for a very easy reinstall of Windows 10.

For a more comprehensive explanation please see the following previously cited article by Andre Da Costa.

How to troubleshoot Product Activation in Windows 10

Regards

WayneRupp, Jun 9, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

If you do have an activated Windows 10, then you have the digital entitlement.
    You are entitled to reinstall the Same Windows 10 version in the Same computer as often as you want, whenever you want.
    With digital entitlement, you do NOT need product key when you reinstall Windows 10.
    Activation is automatic.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  5. AndreTen Win User
    Like davidhk said. But if you really want to see your windows key, I would suggest Belarc advisor. It will give you some useful information about your system, product keys of your software is among them (not only Microsoft, you will have listed most of your keys).

AndreTen, Jun 9, 2016
  6. tengeezer Win User
    Thanks. But how does MS know it's the same system? What if I upgrade my machine, e.g. my motherboard / cpu ?

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  7. tengeezer Win User
    Cheers, will check it out.

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

New motherboard = new computer.
    You no longer have the digital entitlement. You won't get activated automatically. You might be able to call Microsoft Support and talk them into activating your system.

I posted this question not too long ago.
    Please read the answer given by Brink, out forum Admin.
    I would like to have a definitive Answer, please.

davidhk, Jun 9, 2016
  9. tengeezer Win User
    Might be? You mean the license belongs to the computer, not to me?

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is correct. If you read the terms of the free upgrade promotional offer, Microsoft only offered to upgrade DEVICES running Windows 7/8/8.1 for free.

Windows 10

How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft

If the previous operating system was an OEM version pre-installed on the computer, then the license has always belonged to that computer only. If the previous operating system was a retail version purchased separately, then you can move that version of Windows to another computer, as long as you remove Windows from the first computer.

NavyLCDR, Jun 9, 2016
  11. meebers Win User
    Do the same rules apply since the OP was talking about an "insider version"

meebers, Jun 9, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    Yes the same applies. There was nothing in the insider program that promised the person would obtain a free, transferrable license for Windows 10 for participating in the program.

NavyLCDR, Jun 9, 2016
  13. meebers Win User

Yes that is true, but what I got from the OP original post was that he was trying to repair his insider "activated" version. There was no mention of a regular W10 licensed activated version. Would be great if he could clarify some more.

meebers, Jun 9, 2016
  14. tengeezer Win User
    Thanks for the clarification peeps.

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
  15. tengeezer Win User
    Not repair, but just re-install. I am clear on this issue now.

Basically, if I want to re-install Win10 (I have an activated insider license), I can do, and it will re-install fine. I just can't transfer the license to a different computer.

If however, I change some key components, such as a motherboard, MS treats this as a new computer. If I phone them informing that I've upgraded my PC, they might sort me out, at their discretion, although they don't have to.

Fair enough.

tengeezer, Jun 9, 2016
Thema:

1. Where is my Product Key if I want to re-install? - Similar Threads - Where Product Key

2. Where's my product key?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where's my product key?: I recently bought windows 10 pro workstation, order number 5163099350, from the official ms site. I got an email confirming the purchase but no email for the key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wheres-my-product-key/73c4b39c-16c4-410c-9356-fe4825477b39
  3. Where is my **** product key??

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Where is my **** product key??: **** you Bill Gates you greedy bottom ****. You **** pedophile. I hope you die. Also gimi my god damn product key. Thank to the people that aren't bill gates. Plz help me customer support. It's not aimed at you. Just Bill Gates....
  4. where's my product key?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    where's my product key?: Windows won't acvtivatee on new PC. No produxct key available. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/wheres-my-product-key/aca3c979-93ae-46c3-8c0b-740ede02cfa8
  5. Using Product Key for re-installation

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Using Product Key for re-installation: I own a great lenovo T400 notebook. Trustworthy, with a battery still at 70% capacity. Solid. Whatever.My problem: Of course I have the genuine product key from lenovo for XP. During the years I upgraded to W7 and W10. Perfect. Recently the hard drive passed away. I put I new...
  6. Using Product Key for re-installation

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Using Product Key for re-installation: I own a great lenovo T400 notebook. Trustworthy, with a battery still at 70% capacity. Solid. Whatever.My problem: Of course I have the genuine product key from lenovo for XP. During the years I upgraded to W7 and W10. Perfect. Recently the hard drive passed away. I put I new...
  7. Using Product Key for re-installation

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Where is my product key?

Where is my product key?: I installed Windows 10 Home on the new pc I built and went to this page to buy a product key to activate it. Or so I thought... It's been over 2 hours and the only email I've received does not contain a product key. There are no options in my order history to get the key or...
  9. where is my product key

where is my product key: Where I can find my product key? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/where-is-my-product-key/2fef532b-e425-4a96-bb1a-5467d466cea0"
  10. where is my product key

where is my product key: Hi, I want to move my Windows 10 to a new computer. I need my product key to activate and I need a compy of windows as my new computer does not have a cd player. 1. Where is my product key? 2. How do I download the new copy? Thank you....