Windows 10: Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

Discus and support Where is my question regarding “S Mode?” in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my computer or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SilenceSGolden, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my computer or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly disappointing!

:)

SilenceSGolden, Apr 24, 2024
  2. Crizal Win User

Win 10 S Mode Questions

Hello all and if you observe, happy Easter or Passover. Next week, a friend is getting an HP laptop that'll be using Windows 10 in S Mode. I'm somewhat familiar with what can and cannot be done but there are a few questions.

As there are restrictions in what can be downloaded and installed in S Mode, does anyone know if tools like Geek Uninstaller portable and CCleaner portable (on USB sticks) would work or will she be limited to the built-in Windows tools?

She's using an HP LaserJet Pro M15W printer on her network and to add that to the new laptop, drivers cannot be downloaded from the HP website. It was suggested we go to the Microsoft Store and get the HP Smart app and try using that to get the printer on the new machine. If that doesn't work, we can easily uninstall the app. HP's listing for S Mode compatible printers is grossly outdated and doesn't mention the printer (which is a reasonably new model) one way or the other.

The goal is to keep the laptop as clean as possible so any insight would be appreciated.

Crizal, Apr 24, 2024
  3. Stuck in S mode

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We understand the concern as you are unable to switch from Windows 10 S to Windows 10 Home/Pro Version. In order to get clarity and to assist you accordingly, please reply with the answers to the questions below:

• What is the Build of Windows 10 S installed on the PC? (Type winver in Windows search/Run command)
    • What is the complete error message you are getting?
    • Are you using a school/university account to sign in to the Microsoft store
    • Are you connected to a domain/organization network?
    • Are you connected to the Internet?

Windows 10 in S mode is designed for security and performance, exclusively running apps from the Microsoft Store. If you want to install an app that isn't available in the Microsoft Store, you'll need to switch out of S mode. Switching
    out of S mode is one-way. If you make the switch, you won't be able to go back to Windows 10 in S mode. There's no charge to switch out of S mode. Please refer the below article:

Switching out of S mode in Windows 10

Windows 10 in S mode FAQ

Meanwhile you can perform these steps and check.

Step 1: Windows Updates

1. Press Windows + I key to launch
      Settings
    2. Now click on Updates & Security.
    3. Select Windows Updates from the left pane.
    4. Click on Check for Updates. Make sure that the PC is up to date with the recent Windows Updates

Step 2:
    Reset Microsoft Store

1. Press Windows key + R. This will open
      Run
      . Alternatively, you can go to Start and search for ‘Run
    2. In Run dialog box, type ‘wsreset’ and hit enter.
    Note:
    A blank Command Prompt window will open, and after about ten seconds the window will close and Microsoft Store will open automatically.

Step 3:
    Run the Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter

Select the Start button, and then select Settings>Update & Security
    > Troubleshoot, and then from the list select Windows Store apps > Run the troubleshooter.

Step 4:
    Login to Microsoft Store

Sign out, and sign in again to the Microsoft Store and check if you are able to Switch out of S mode.

1. Open Microsoft Store, click on the
      Profile icon
      and select Sign out.
    2. Now, click on the Profile icon again and select
      Sign in.
    3. Follow the on-screen instructions and sign in with the account.

Regards,

Aditya Roy

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Aditya_Roy, Apr 24, 2024
  4. Zaki_j Win User

Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

s mode

Hi tracydeery,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you like to revert to Windows 10 S Mode.

• What’s the make and model of the PC?

Switching out of S mode is one-way. If you switch out of S mode, you'll need to keep using the standard version
    of Windows 10. However, if your PC came along with the recovery partition, you can use the recovery image on the PC to restore the computer back to factory settings, which will help you in getting Windows 10 S edition on the Pc.

Note:
    Resetting the computer to factory setting will remove all applications & data from hard drive and reinstall the original operating system. I suggest you all you backup important data before performing a factory reset.

For more information in Windows 10 S mode, you may refer to the following article
    Windows 10 in S mode FAQ

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Zaki

Zaki_j, Apr 24, 2024
Thema:

Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

1. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?” - Similar Threads - Where question regarding

2. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”: I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my laptop or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly disappointing!...
  3. Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Where is my question regarding “S Mode?”: I took the time to write a serious question regarding why I no longer have access to my laptop or my apps and I dont even see the question. I guess questions are censored. Wanted to know how in one day after update I can't use my laptop? Any help on this? Truly disappointing!...
  4. Questions on S Mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Questions on S Mode: Hi all,I have one of my devices running on S Mode, my question is does this protect your device like the active/real-time protection you receive from a non-Microsoft antivirus program? Also, if I wanted to run a scan manually will I be able to do this, I could not find any...
  5. Questions on S Mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Questions on S Mode: Hi all,I have one of my devices running on S Mode, my question is does this protect your device like the active/real-time protection you receive from a non-Microsoft antivirus program? Also, if I wanted to run a scan manually will I be able to do this, I could not find any...
  6. Question about S mode!

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Question about S mode!: I am trying to download adobe software on my HP laptop but anytime i try to download it I get a message that I will have to switch out of S mode first. Is switching out of S mode a good idea? What happens if I switch out of S mode and will it effect the functionality of the...
  7. This is a genuine question for the Windows team, regarding the hellscape that is S Mode.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    This is a genuine question for the Windows team, regarding the hellscape that is S Mode.: I am not looking for tech support, per se, I just hope that someone from the Windows team may read this and just realize what a horrible decision S mode has been for the regular user. It's futile, I know, but I have to vent somewhere. Let's just leave the very existence of...
  8. S Mode Question - SSL VPN

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    S Mode Question - SSL VPN: I am looking to get a small laptop to work from home with, this one. It comes with Windows 10 S Mode... I need to be able to use a SSL VPN to remote into my work machine. This VPN requires Java... Will I be able to use this to VPN/RDP?? submitted by /u/Notrega [link]...
  9. Regarding S mode in windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Regarding S mode in windows 10: how secure it is to switch out of S mode in windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/regarding-s-mode-in-windows-10/0ea90e92-d6d4-483a-bf4c-bcc7689ebcdb
  10. Win 10 S Mode Questions

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 S Mode Questions: Hello all and if you observe, happy Easter or Passover. Next week, a friend is getting an HP laptop that'll be using Windows 10 in S Mode. I'm somewhat familiar with what can and cannot be done but there are a few questions. As there are restrictions in what can be...